Engine Rooms..

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Well actually, our first boat had the engine (a Petter PH2) just below and in front of the steerer - in fact there was a footplate, or manstand, or what you will, which enabled the steerer to stand directly over the engine. It was the sound of that engine which got me interested in the more traditional power units in the first place. So, though I like Trojan's layout with its engine room forward of the sleeping cabin, I didn't mind the other arrangement either - indeed our second boat had the engine (Rigas Dizelis) at the back but exposed, too.

You'll be interested in the "tree class" Severners then- an 8/10hp Petter S Type semi diesel banging away right under your feet, with the exhaust coming out somewhere in the vicinity of your left ear!

Suffice to say I'm having a quieter engine....

You'll be interested in the "tree class" Severners then- an 8/10hp Petter S Type semi diesel banging away right under your feet, with the exhaust coming out somewhere in the vicinity of your left ear!

Suffice to say I'm having a quieter engine....

Suffice to say that in early motor narrowboats, just as in earlier steam locomotives, the comfort and well-being of the crew were not uppermost in the designers' minds.

Wouldn't be without our engine room. Houses the Kelvin, the built in genny, the batteries arranged so I can get at them to check levels, the bike and the washing machine, not to mention the spare ropes, tilley lamp and brass cleaning gear. Provides somewhere to dry an airer full of washing without steaming the boat up and is a good spot to strip off wet or bulky gear after a wet/cold day boating.

Probably the most densely used 8 ft in the boat!

N

You can put a "Porta Potti" in a mid engine room. Just think, whilst you contemplate nature you can polish the engine as well! Also if the other half is steering you can have the engine 'ole doors open and watch the world go by.

Edited by Ray T

You can put a "Porta Potti" in a mid engine room. Just think, whilst you contemplate nature you can polish the engine as well! Also if the other half is steering you can have the engine 'ole doors open and watch the world go by.

Presumably not at the same time? :)

........................................a large tin of Brasso and its concomitant cloths and rags.

Nurse! Nurse! ....... he's out of bed again.

He's trying to tell us that concomitant and Brasso are ok in the same sentence.

All canal boat stern types have their advantages and disadvantages. As the owner of a boat with a cruiser stern I'd love to have a full height engine room to store all my gear, but on the other hand I've been on trad style narrowboats with engine rooms where there's no space on the stern for more than just the steerer and I'm sure the owners must long for a bit more deck space.

However, whatever style of stern I opted for I would always want a separate engine space with a decent height water-tight bulkhead between the engine and cabin. A polished vintage engine sitting in your saloon might look great, or an engine room with a (floor level) door going through to your bedroom might be convenient, but stern glands which can flood the whole boat just seem like a bad idea to me.

Edited by blackrose