Good quality LED downlights...

Robbo

Featured Posts

Hello, I'm looking for decent quality LED downlights that have a high CRI (pref above 90) and a warm white light of around 2700K, but with a low profile depth of max. around 30-40mm and a stainless steel frame (pref 316).

I've found some that look to fit the bill from Quick Marine Lighting and Hella Marine but does anyone know other makes that are easy to obtain in the UK?

I would suggest that you'll be best off finding 12V fittings that best suit your needs. Then once you have the fittings you can find some LED bulbs to fit them. There are literally hundreds of styles to choose from if you don't limit yourself to marine outlets.

Most LED lamps don't advertise their CRI, probably because it's poor but also because not too many folk understand it, so experimentation with buying single lamps from different sources and trying them will probably be your best bet. Note that even a CRI of 90 with a CT of 2700K isn't going to be the same as an incandescent; it'll be similar but not the same, and two different suppliers with the same figures will differ quite markedly.

Good luck with your search.

I was planning to purchase a few from different manufacturers and see which was the one I prefer. Unfor many of the hundreds of styles have too deep profiles or are "cheap" so was looking to see if anyone had recommendations of quality stuff without going into silly prices.

Hello, I'm looking for decent quality LED downlights that have a high CRI (pref above 90) and a warm white light of around 2700K, but with a low profile depth of max. around 30-40mm and a stainless steel frame (pref 316).

I've found some that look to fit the bill from Quick Marine Lighting and Hella Marine but does anyone know other makes that are easy to obtain in the UK?

Your more likely to see lumens (lm) quoted if your lucky

Seem to recall a company called HMS showing a good range of light fittings at crick a couple of years ago.

I tend to buy lights from Aten Lighting at Melton Mowbray. I've yet to be disappointed with lights from them.

https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/

we bought 23 of their "touch" led warm lights for Ellis - they're very good and much nicer than the cold blue lights I see on some boats.

https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/led-touchdownlight-white-recess-flat.html

We're only in Wakefield so you're welcome to call by and take a look at them on (or measure them if you can)

Not really relevant to the OP but this might be if interest to others. I bought some of these for a recent job and they're a lot better than I expected. I got the round 6w warm white (3000K) ones. They seem very bright. Delivery within a few days. The driver is separate so could be connected directly to 12v DC.

I doubt that they will know themselves, if it was quality stuff they would have the details on the site.

I have used bedazzled and am very satisfied they are boaters through and through and I found them very helpful. There lights are of good quality and are suppressed ie don't switch my dab radio off like a couple of cheaper ones I bought elsewhere.

No association with bedazzled other than a satisfied customer

Edited to add this link to articles by bedazzled

http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/Important_LED_Info.htm

I do note that their normal small catalog with the specifications does appear to be temporarily unavailable

Hope this helps

Edited by reg

I have used bedazzled and am very satisfied they are boaters through and through and I found them very helpful. There lights are of good quality and are suppressed ie don't switch my dab radio off like a couple of cheaper ones I bought elsewhere.

No association with bedazzled other than a satisfied customer

Edited to add this link to articles by bedazzled

http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/Important_LED_Info.htm

I do note that their normal small catalog with the specifications does appear to be temporarily unavailable

Hope this helps

As said, there is no details on the bedazzled site apart from the amount of lumens which is not even the basics. If they can't put the details on the site or who makes them then I don't know what I would be getting. I've also seen the light output of someone who has bedazzled lights and it was typical cheap LED output.

I would suggest that you'll be best off finding 12V fittings that best suit your needs. Then once you have the fittings you can find some LED bulbs to fit them. There are literally hundreds of styles to choose from if you don't limit yourself to marine outlets.

Most LED lamps don't advertise their CRI, probably because it's poor but also because not too many folk understand it, so experimentation with buying single lamps from different sources and trying them will probably be your best bet. Note that even a CRI of 90 with a CT of 2700K isn't going to be the same as an incandescent; it'll be similar but not the same, and two different suppliers with the same figures will differ quite markedly.

Good luck with your search.

I am struggling with the search! I'm going to test a Hella one, the uk reseller for the quick hasn't got back to me yet :-(. I think I'll now wire with incandescent in mind so i don't limit ma options to just LED.

We got our most recent set of lights from here:

http://www.miniinthebox.com/led-bi-pin-lights_c5461

One of our el cheapo Ebay lights started flickering (they had been installed for five years so couldn't complain) so we bought ten from here expecting to have to change them all as the colour wouldn't match our existing ones. Low and behold it did so we now have nine spare ones.

I have been using quite a few of these recently, really high qualty casing from solid turned ali billet, very low profile and with a CRI of 80+ in warm white, the quality if far in excess of what the price suggests. They can be surface mounted or flush by removing the collar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LE5J3LW/ref=cfb_at_prodpg

What you ask is beyond the wit of many and websites try to appeal to their largest audience. I feel that you will lose out if you rate organisations by website content alone. Pick up the phone, it's good to speak!

Disagree, there are some very good websites out their that have good details about the products they sell. The websites that don't, just tend to sell unbranded ones and the quality can change from one batch to another.

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-li/led-lights/quality-of-light-led-lighting

Philips publish the info you require quote "cri always above 80.."

You need to select the menu select shop and then do a bit of searching for your required item.

I would agree with wotever above re purchasing your light fittings and then replacing the bulb as required

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-li/led-lights/quality-of-light-led-lighting

Philips publish the info you require quote "cri always above 80.."

You need to select the menu select shop and then do a bit of searching for your required item.

I would agree with wotever above re purchasing your light fittings and then replacing the bulb as required

I can find the info for AC stuff quite easily (but Philips don't have the lux info on that site where relevant). You will find when you want 12v DC bulbs they are marketed for car use and don't have really any info.

The disadvantage of going for a light fitting and separate bulb for downlight's is that the low profile ones really need to be designed with the LED's in mind. MR11 fittings tend to not have this issue as the downlight is usually produced by the bulb itself. Unfor MR11 fittings are around 55-100mm in depth so I can't use them.

Edited by Robbo

The disadvantage of going for a light fitting and separate bulb for downlight's is that the low profile ones really need to be designed with the LED's in mind. MR11 fittings tend to not have this issue as the downlight is usually produced by the bulb itself. Unfor MR11 fittings are around 55-100mm in depth so I can't use them.

There are a bunch here, but the CRI is only 80: https://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/shallow-downlights.html

Tony

It you're looking to fit recessed G4 fittings and put LED lights in place of the halogens, these might be suitable. Then use these, I recommend warm white. The cool white is harsh. I fitted them in my motorhome about six years ago and they've been fine. However, the type I linked to at the start of this thread seem to have taken over, and having tried them recently, I think they're better, if a little too bright in 6W.

One point of note on the flat LEDs is that they can be a bit tight in the fittings. They come in different diameters so might be best to check the fitting before ordering the LEDs.