Home made raw water filter

Crow

Featured Posts

I always thought a bend formed in a pipe fitters bending tool could be from very easy right up to 90% and an elbow as bought from a plumbers was a tight 90% bend which seems the other way round to what you suggest.

Neil

That's what I thought too. A 'bend' is gradual, an 'elbow' is a sharp bend... somewhat like one's elbow ;)

The above is correct, the OP may misunderstand. To help him look at http://www.pegleryorkshire.co.uk/EN/Brands/Yorkshire/General

It is easy to see the difference from the illustrations. I think it would be even more marked if one looked at iron pipe fittings.

Still its his boat and if he wants to build in a potential problem spot its his right.

Thanks again ,and after this mornings frost and ice in my bilge ,due to not having finished the deck drains I am taking Tony's and others advice on getting rid of heat exchanger cooling,as now I'm a bit more clued up,it's going to land up in tears when it all freezes up.

The photos are a left and right of transom,what bit of counter I have I will fit some 50 MM pipes 4 off at 36 inch long + the elbows/ bends at 180 degrees to give me 6 sq ft of area,when I fitted leg and drive I wanted the drive shaft / crank centre as high as I could

To keep the rubber bellow on the z drive out the water,but having the cavition plate under the counter,I did extend the keel by 2 ft

To wards the prop just to try and smooth water flow a bit,you lads don't miss much on a photo, have a good new year all of you.

Thanks again ,and after this mornings frost and ice in my bilge ,due to not having finished the deck drains I am taking Tony's and others advice on getting rid of heat exchanger cooling,as now I'm a bit more clued up,it's going to land up in tears when it all freezes up.

The photos are a left and right of transom,what bit of counter I have I will fit some 50 MM pipes 4 off at 36 inch long + the elbows/ bends at 180 degrees to give me 6 sq ft of area,when I fitted leg and drive I wanted the drive shaft / crank centre as high as I could

To keep the rubber bellow on the z drive out the water,but having the cavition plate under the counter,I did extend the keel by 2 ft

To wards the prop just to try and smooth water flow a bit,you lads don't miss much on a photo, have a good new year all of you.

OK another link for you from the same chap that made the mud box http://boatbuildblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/making-keel-cooling-for-friend.html

Point taken, it wont be as efficient but a well thought out horizontal tank will still cool better than an inadequate vertical tank !

I'm not sure why we're comparing "a well thought out horizontal skin tank" (a contradiction in terms surely?) with an inadequately sized vertical tank? Both are obviously badly designed and shouldn't be installed.

I think as long as it's suitability well baffled a baseplate mounted skin tank should be ok?

Ca always make it a bit larger area and or thinner. Bilge keel coolers work fine.

Daniel

Baffles on a horizontal skin tank would run vertically which doesn't solve the problem. A thinner tank might help but you'd still get the hottest water rising to the top of the tank. It's simply an inefficient design. Bilge keel coolers work on some boats but not well on others, depending on the design. Many run along the swims rather than flat baseplate.

Well I've resolved my filter problem ,I've made a stainless cooler to fit under the counter , 2x1 box 7 sq ft worth including all the sides and faces of the fabrication, all I need to know now is , after removing heat exchanger and welding the end caps up ,where do i T in with my new cooler pipes,thanks in advance ,nick

post-19989-0-22929400-1483210936_thumb.jpg

post-19989-0-02718700-1483210998_thumb.jpg

Hot out from any large hose connection on the heat exchanger body, block the rest

Cooled back into the engine water pump.

If you fit a calorifier the hot out to calorifier comes form a plug on the cylinder head and the cold return goes into the keel cooler return hose/pipe close to the engine water pump.