Managing new batteries

frahkn

Featured Posts

I need a new set of domestic batteries - 5 110Ah ones. The present set are sealed, no maintenance ones and I will probable replace them with similar ones.

I plan to get the marina to supply and fit these - I have complete faith that they will do a reasonable job of this.

The boat is currently on shore power, we don't visit very much in winter, perhaps once a month to check things.

My question is do I have to be on the boat for a few days after the fitting to "run in" the new batteries, see that they are charged properly etc?

Thanks.

Basically what WotEver said.

However to go to the next level, you could also check if your charger has the ability to adjust the charge voltages. If it can then there may be the opportunity to tweak the charge voltages to suit what the battery manufacturer recommends. This will be a change of tenths of a volt.

Agree with TC. I'm leaving knackered batteries in over winter and putting the new ones in next season when they will be properly used and monitored.

Same here. Our five year old batteries are finally giving up the ghost but we are do to come out of the water for a few months from the 3rd January so we see little point in replacing them until we are ready to go back in the water.

As with Top Cat, Jak and others. My start battery is 'tired' . On 24/7 charge it will start the engine if I just want a trip out for the day. It also starts a warm engine if I stop for a couple of hours. I wouldn't trust it overnight if the temp dropped really low. Will change it in the spring.

( I do have a set of jump leads and a 600A/h domestic bank if things go pear shapedcheers.gif

Delay until you start cruising again.

Then also check charging regime for the charger, alternator including any alternator management system plus solar panel controller if you have any, are good for the new batteries.

Not all batteries use the same charging regime and on the wrong charging regime batteries can be damaged and their life shortened.

Also question if you need 5 batteries, if you often return to your home mooring with shore power and travel every other day when cruising then 5 is quite a lot.

First, thanks to everyone who suggested that I wait. It is good advice and I will follow it.

As to why 5 - well that is what came with the boat when I bought it three and a half years ago, and that number fit in the battery box. Any fewer would let them slide about in the box, so I would have to leave an unconnected "old" one to hold them still.

Anyway I sort of think 5 must be better than 4. Charging shouldn't be an issue as we cruise long days and I have 200 watts of solar as well.

Our boat came with 4 and that's what I fitted when replacing them, but now our power usage has changed, we now have LED lights and a much more efficient fridge/freezer, I've also added solar panels and a battery monitor. So now I reckon we could get by with 2 or 3.

So before shelling out for 5 why not do a power audit and see what you actually use between one engine start and the next? As for filling the gap a big block of wood would do.

Top Cat

I would do a power audit and see how many you actually need. From what you say about your set up and use they probably die from old age and not use so if you only need 4 they would probably have the same life as 5 at 4/5 of the price. As for the space,I have a wooden box where the water and hydrometer lives.(not that you would need them)

Edit TC types faster than me

Edited by ditchcrawler