Decorative glass

mross

Featured Posts

I must admit my sympathies are with the OP here.

I don't think he has claimed this to be an accurate depiction of any known canal scene, has he?

He clearly likes it, so whether other people like it is kind of immaterial.

My recently rather expensively purchased Ron Hough water can hardly has photographic image like copies of real roses and daisies painted on it, and I know lots of people simply don't get the "roses and castles" thing. All that matters to me is that I like it, and Iam not concerned if others think I'm bonkers in my purchasing choices.

Here you are, pundits get your teeth into this:

Painted by a woman who lives on a boat that frequents the Midlands area and runs its generator at night !

When I bought it the paint was still wet.

Got to be a rare collectible piece as I have yet to see another one like it. Nurser, Jones, Hough, Baxter, etc. never produced artifacts of this quality.

Paid £5.00 for it.

captain.gif

Edited by Ray T

For the record I rather like the painted glass in the OP. My comment on the portholes thing was just observation - and perhaps it could point to a possible identification of the artist as it seems to be a bit unusual.

The OP did have a little bit of a windup ring to it but I am happy to believe its genuine.

For the record I rather like the painted glass in the OP. My comment on the portholes thing was just observation - and perhaps it could point to a possible identification of the artist as it seems to be a bit unusual.

The OP did have a little bit of a windup ring to it but I am happy to believe its genuine.

I hope so, we wouldn't want him walking off in a Hough.

For the record I rather like the painted glass in the OP. My comment on the portholes thing was just observation - and perhaps it could point to a possible identification of the artist as it seems to be a bit unusual

You are obviously a man of taste!

Here are more pics of this objet d'art.

http://picclick.co.uk/Canalware-Narrowboat-Barge-Painted-Glass-Tumbler-Canalia-Folk-182249090259.html

I know almost nuffink about art except that like houses it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but I quite like that glass. It's impressionist isn't it? By the time you've drunk some whisky out of it you may think it's realist.

The OP asked a question about who made the glass. He didn't ask what people thought of it. Rubbishing another's taste when they haven't invited it is rude in my opinion. No wonder so many people leave this forum after giving it a brief go.

Hmm, so someone giving an opinion on a glass is bad, but you giving an opinion on others if good?

Phil

Please don't fall out over my £6 tumbler. I respect PA's opinion. And others' opinions. We share the joy of boating, don't we?

Thank you, though I was not about to fall out with anyone, my post was merely an observation. I also think that the glass in question does actually have some naive charm.

Phil

If someone prints a photo of a boat and asks if anyone knows who built it, it would not be uncommon for people to proffer an opinion such as "That's a handsome boat", even though the original post did not invite opinions.

As Mr. Ross has amassed over 400 posts, I don't think he's just been giving CWF a "brief go".

I agree with his statement that the glass is "decorative". I have seen better-painted items which I don't find decorative at all.

Giving a compliment is somewhat different to slagging off, is it not? I remember a new member offering a boat for sale or rent on here which didn't meet the aesthetic approval of certain forum members, who descended with glee to post a stream of derogatory comments. It was horrible to witness and needless to say the newbie left and never returned.

Edited by Dave_P

Giving a compliment is somewhat different to slagging off, is it not?

Oh yes, and were he a new member he might have cause to hit the exits. But established forum members indulge in this banter all the time - currently, a Grand Union boat is being compared to a Ford Transit on another thread, which is scarcely complimentary (or, depending on their viewpoint, insulting to Dagenham-built vans).

Mr. Ross has spent six quid on his piece of glassware. he is evidently pleased with it, and no doubt he would continue to be pleased with it if we all told him that it was the Beaker From Hell. Good luck to him.

Edited by Athy

Oh dear, with respect, that is a rubbish piece of artwork, my wife who is partially sighted and has had to stop painting dabbled a bit in painting glass and even with her failing sight was able to produce much better work than that item.

Soz, Phil

I've seen worse in the Tate Modern.

Giving a compliment is somewhat different to slagging off, is it not? I remember a new member offering a boat for sale or rent on here which didn't meet the aesthetic approval of certain forum members, who descended with glee to post a stream of derogatory comments. It was horrible to witness and needless to say the newbie left and never returned.

100% agree

Could anyone actually answer my fist post?

Sorry, I've had a go with Google but am unable to find anything quite like it. This could be a plus, the glass may have rarity value.

If you fancy having some more made to get a set, perhaps Phil Ambrose's wife has some contacts who'd find it easy to do?