Residential moorings on the river Wey - gold dust?

loftland2016

Featured Posts

Hi All,

My hubby and I are looking for moorings along the river Wey, to be near my stepson. So far proving non-existent. We currently live in the area and plan to buy a boat once we have a mooring.

Does anyone know of any moorings near Godalming or Guildford, or around there?

Thanks!

Jo

Unless you have a job tied to the WEY Nav, IIRC you have zero chance of residential. And I reckon anyone trying it would get bubbled up. However you could spend numerous nights aboard per week?

To just get a leisure mooring you can put your name down on the NT mooring list which costs circa £5.

Or try Farncombe BH. Or get about walk and talk. Good luck.

Edited by mark99

There was (not now it's taken) a mooring at Dapdune that's ressie but it invloves lots of vollie work/services for NT.

NB it's not actually clear if the OP is looking to move full time on boat and give up current home.

The Wey is very well managed and I suspect being affluent Surrey, plenty of upright citizens, with people fiercely protective about their Jewel, things do not go unnoticed!

Edited by mark99

If you have a wide beam wanting a work/service mooring then that is not possible as they do not allow wide beam workers/service/do-gooders on his river. You might be able to do it with a narrowboat though

Yeah I think that is the one on the bend after Daptune Wharf going upsteam. It might be after that was allowed they looked at setting some sort of rules.

They need permanent boats and crews to look after the reaches during the 'out of season' so give them a mooring to do just that... But they don't want wide beams.. Pity

Having just come off The Wey I can only confirm what others have said, there doesn't seem to be any realistic chance of a residential mooring on the River. We moored up in Pyrford Marina for 4 nights repairing a water pump (Steve and co at the marina are brilliantbiggrin.png ) but there is a notice up in the marina saying,"...There are no residential,liveaboard or Pied et terre moorings either on the River Wey or in Pyrford Marina..." which sounded pretty definite to me.

For those who resent paying CRT when mooring in a marina however, the system on the Wey is that you don't need a River Licence from The National Trust so long as your boat remains in Pyrford Marina. Of course the downside is that you can't live on itrolleyes.gif