Moorings on the Macclesfield

skywatcher

Featured Posts

Hi. Scholar Green.... pub Rising Sun. Gurnett Aqueduct ...Old Kings Head. Bollington. .. Vale Inn. Higher Poynton... Boars Head.

If you have no guide book then I suggest you get yourself a free leaflet from The Macclesfield Canal Society. If you go on to the Macc from the Trent and Mersey you can get said leaflet from a box next to Hall Green lock, opening with your BW key.

Mooring can be difficult in places but nothing a car wheel won't sort out. It's all trial and error. Enjoy.

I agree with the pub recommendations and the Macclesfield Canal is wonderful so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you get onto the Peak Forest don't forget the Navigation at Bugsworth.

You might need to take a team of body builders with you to open/close the swing bridge (No. 47). I was in danger of a heart attack/seizure when I had to operate it recently. It was left open (prior to 'restoration') for years so why it needs to kept closed now is beyond me. I've never seen any pedestrian crossing it but many boaters use it each day.

I wouldn't say there is anywhere to avoid on the whole canal. The moorings above and below Bosley locks are beautiful. Bollington is really worth exploring, and the Brewery at the Vale Inn in particular

Just don't expect to use your mobile phone or modem at the foot of Bosley!

Generally agree with most of this but personally I would avoid mooring at High Lane. It seems tempting, the A6 crosses the canal but few boaters moor there, for a reason.

Also you'll find longish stretches where it's really shallow at the side. As a general rule if you don't see any boats moored along a length you'll struggle to get in.

Generally agree with most of this but personally I would avoid mooring at High Lane. It seems tempting, the A6 crosses the canal but few boaters moor there, for a reason.

Also you'll find longish stretches where it's really shallow at the side. As a general rule if you don't see any boats moored along a length you'll struggle to get in.

I agree, but there are a few places where it is perfectly possible to get into the side. One is north of Clarence Mill - handy for the Waterside Cafe at breakfast/brunch time.

If you can get on them, the pontoon moorings at Macc are excellent and the Puss in Boots is worth a visit - steaks excellent and beer equally so.

That's where we are right now and both phones and modem working perfectly. We are on Tesco and 3 , modem is a Huawie 5776 with an external aerial.

Lovely spot.

Top Cat

That's where we are right now and both phones and modem working perfectly. We are on Tesco and 3 , modem is a Huawie 5776 with an external aerial.

Lovely spot.

Top Cat

Well, well, thanks for that, coverage clearly improved!

Could you say more?

I have moored there a couple of times, there is good access to the shops, chip shop and 3 pubs (admittedly of mixed quality), without any trouble.

Frank.

High Lane has some good moorings with rings (on the curve on the Macclesfield side of the canal) and some not quite so good (through the bridge towards Marple beside the park). It is one of the few places on the canal where shops are very close at hand (sandwich shop, takeaways, small supermarket, hair dresser, doctors surgery with pharmacy and pubs). There is also a regular bus service to Stockport or Buxton.

Could you say more?

I have moored there a couple of times, there is good access to the shops, chip shop and 3 pubs (admittedly of mixed quality), without any trouble.

Frank.

I would disagree that the pubs are of mixed quality. They are uniformly rubbish.

We just spent a very pleasant lunchtime moored on the new pontoons at Macclesfield just north of Br37. Today there were four narrowboats on them but with slightly more economical mooring could probably take 5.

Also noted that the mooring at Adelphi mill (br28) Bollington has been reopened space for 4 or 5 nb , no one there. The moorings by Clarence mill (br26a) were full as usual

Now moored at the extensive visitor mooring with rings at br 18, room for well over a dozen here but just two of us.

Top Cat

We were there last week and struggled to get a TV signal. Not normally an issue for us (we didn't have one on the last boat) but it was the last night in the Velodrome at the Olympics and as a keen cyclist I wanted to see the final races - got most of the night but it failed again just as Jason Kenny won the keirin.

My memory of High Lane was the large diy store up the hill that stocked and cut veneered sheet material and delivered it for silly money. Very convenient steps coming down from a street just off the main road onto the towpath. Couple of nights there, all quiet.

Edited by valrene9600

I would disagree that the pubs are of mixed quality. They are uniformly rubbish.

As I remember, the pub up the road is a 'feed the kiddies, family' place and is awful. The middle one is average and the one at the lower end of the road seems unchanged since sometime in the 70's and was quite nice. Mine you that was a couple of years ago.