Name of Chester in Crowle, Hull, Thorne

Diesse

Featured Posts

I do realise that this is a long shot but here goes.

I purchased my first narrowboat last year and only this year whilst doing family research did I find that I am actually from boat people. (Feeling very proud).

I am talking from the 1700s through to the early 1900s. Their names were Chester and they are noted as being sailors, river sailors, bargemen, lightermen and watermen.

The boats mentioned have been a Humber Keel called Charles Carter, of whom my 3rd Gt Grandfather was the Captain in 1881 when it was docked at Kingston Upon Hull. Vivid, Providence and a Humber Keel, Alice.

The places mentioned have been River Don Cut, Ferrybridge, Crowle, Thorne, Kingston Upon Hull.

I do realise that this a very long shot but worth a go. As I said, I never knew about my family history before I bought my narrowboat. Must be in the blood as they say.

Yes, thank you. I found some information out about the Charles Carter and my relative was named as a captain. No luck though about how she ended up or the Humber Keel Alice.

• 4 years later...

My great grand aunt and uncle sailed on the Charles Charter with their family - listed on the 1881 census - both my husband and I come from Hull originally and during research found that our greatxxxxgrandparents were all watermen - we often pass a Humber Keel on the Thames (we Moor on the K and A) we’d love to go on board to see the extent of the living conditions were as many keelmen had large families travelling with them.  Do you ever get down onto the Thames or the K and A - we may even be related!!!!!

My great grand aunt was Priscilla Chester nee Taylor so looks like we may be related - wow

Edited by Linda Holmes
Wrong images

20 hours ago, Linda Holmes said:

My great grand aunt and uncle sailed on the Charles Charter with their family - listed on the 1881 census - both my husband and I come from Hull originally and during research found that our greatxxxxgrandparents were all watermen - we often pass a Humber Keel on the Thames (we Moor on the K and A) we’d love to go on board to see the extent of the living conditions were as many keelmen had large families travelling with them.  Do you ever get down onto the Thames or the K and A - we may even be related!!!!!

My great grand aunt was Priscilla Chester nee Taylor so looks like we may be related - wow

2D16E0C8-DD01-4F02-86CF-E2FE51480771.jpeg

• 2 years later...
On 29/07/2016 at 06:01, Diesse said:

I do realise that this is a long shot but here goes.

I purchased my first narrowboat last year and only this year whilst doing family research did I find that I am actually from boat people. (Feeling very proud).

I am talking from the 1700s through to the early 1900s. Their names were Chester and they are noted as being sailors, river sailors, bargemen, lightermen and watermen.

The boats mentioned have been a Humber Keel called Charles Carter, of whom my 3rd Gt Grandfather was the Captain in 1881 when it was docked at Kingston Upon Hull. Vivid, Providence and a Humber Keel, Alice.

The places mentioned have been River Don Cut, Ferrybridge, Crowle, Thorne, Kingston Upon Hull.

I do realise that this a very long shot but worth a go. As I said, I never knew about my family history before I bought my narrowboat. Must be in the blood as they say.

Hi Diesse, found your post and it interested me as I am a descendent of several keel shipwrights (Grace, Chessman), Humber Keel families, (Wilsons, Shaws, Carters), and other bargemen (Mortimer/Masterman, Moxon, Barley, Cawkwell)

The Carters are relations on my maternal side. I am looking at the census record for the Keel "Alice" for you from 1881, which was captained by Charles Greenwood Carter. The entry lists the names of all the Carter family present on the night of the census (his wife Margaret Ann is detailed plus four sons and two daughters, William, Jane, Lewis, Charles, Walter and Emily). My maternal ggg grandma, Margaret Ann had left the family keel by this point. Anyhow the Alice was a Hull registered Humber Keel licensed for river trade. Are you related to any of these Carters? Unfortunately I couldn't find any evidence for a Chester aboard the Alice for this period.

More positively, the Vivid has a definite connection for you! in 1881 it was docked at Goole on the night of the census. The captain was George Guest and records your ancestor Thomas Chester, 14, as ship's mate, born Brigg, Lincolnshire.I have attached a screenshot for you.

I checked the census returns for the Providence (there are few vessels of this name, keels, sloops, lighters, ketches, luggers, dumb barges etc.  and for Hull, Goole, Thorne, Stainforth etc. None seemed to match with the Chester name.

Hope this helps...if there is a Carter connection we're probably related!

Alice 1881.png

Vivid 1881.png

9 hours ago, Humberkeelkinsman said:

Hi Diesse, found your post and it interested me as I am a descendent of several keel shipwrights (Grace, Chessman), Humber Keel families, (Wilsons, Shaws, Carters), and other bargemen (Mortimer/Masterman, Moxon, Barley, Cawkwell)

The Carters are relations on my maternal side. I am looking at the census record for the Keel "Alice" for you from 1881, which was captained by Charles Greenwood Carter. The entry lists the names of all the Carter family present on the night of the census (his wife Margaret Ann is detailed plus four sons and two daughters, William, Jane, Lewis, Charles, Walter and Emily). My maternal ggg grandma, Margaret Ann had left the family keel by this point. Anyhow the Alice was a Hull registered Humber Keel licensed for river trade. Are you related to any of these Carters? Unfortunately I couldn't find any evidence for a Chester aboard the Alice for this period.

More positively, the Vivid has a definite connection for you! in 1881 it was docked at Goole on the night of the census. The captain was George Guest and records your ancestor Thomas Chester, 14, as ship's mate, born Brigg, Lincolnshire.I have attached a screenshot for you.

I checked the census returns for the Providence (there are few vessels of this name, keels, sloops, lighters, ketches, luggers, dumb barges etc.  and for Hull, Goole, Thorne, Stainforth etc. None seemed to match with the Chester name.

Hope this helps...if there is a Carter connection we're probably related!

Alice 1881.png

Vivid 1881.png

Welcome to the forum. Watch out for the Gruffalos the rest of us are lovely  

8 hours ago, Humberkeelkinsman said:

I am not sure as this was my first post upon finding the reference to my family in the forum. I didn’t place much relevance on the date of the query as the period we were discussing was nearly 150 years ago!

Yes, I looked at Diesse profile, last visited forum 1st August 2016.

I put a @ in front of name to notify her. Not very likely.

With a keel that has an unusual name like CHARLES CARTER I was able to find some details about it.

It was built on the River Hull at Beverley in 1866 for owner - William Thompson, coal and salt merchant of Hull. In February 1879 CHARLES CARTER was recorded as being owned by William Thompson and Sons, coal merchants and exporters of Hull, with it’s master shown as Thomas Hall. Thompson had about a dozen keels working in the 1880’s.

During the 1890’s the CHARLES CARTER passed to Thomas Thompson, the managing owner of Thomas Thompson and Company, canal carriers and agents of Drypool, Hull. It appears to have been still in use in 1914.

• Greenie 1