Advice please - urgent

kawaton

Featured Posts

If the boat was advertised as having something it should have it. The seller should really do the decent thing and get it fixed, if not willing I would insist on reducing your offer buy an ammount appropriate to get it fixed.

You might find the seller is obliged to by the agreement he has with the broker.

Well the brokers words were, (just after telling me the offer was accepted, and right before i was about to give deposit payment) were..."oh, i have been checking the paperwork and i see there is an issue with......."

So maybe the seller did admit, and the broker didn't advise until the last minute....or the vendor only admitted when discussing my offer with broker. who knows

Well the brokers words were, (just after telling me the offer was accepted, and right before i was about to give deposit payment) were..."oh, i have been checking the paperwork and i see there is an issue with......."

So maybe the seller did admit, and the broker didn't advise until the last minute....or the vendor only admitted when discussing my offer with broker. who knows

If you haven't paid I still wouldn't, yet. The boat is not 'as described' which it should be. If the Webasto hadn't been listed in the spec. It would I suggest be different, however if it was it should be working.

The I would say it is down to the broker and the seller to argue who is going to pay for it.

(Used car salesman "I have just noticed the lambourghini doesn't have a working engine, can you enter your PIN to pay your deposit please")

• Greenie 1

Hi all

Some quick advice if possible.

I have had an offer accepted on a boat.....but not yet paid deposit.

After my offer was accepted I was told the boiler (webasto) doesn't work.

So what should I do?

If I pay deposit and surveyor picks up, I cannot pull out unless repairs cost more than 5%.

Which is fine.....but as I have now been told about it....would this issue be exempt from the repairs highlighted by surveyor? I.e cannot pull out

Also, there is a morso that apparently has been used to heat the boat and owners weren't using the webasto.

Would the morso provide hot water, or is the webasto needed for that?

What should I do?

Help .....please,?

You could ask them to fix the webasto as your offer is based on that, or you could reduce the offer based on this new information.

However Webastos are the cheap boilers, if you find a working one on a boat it won't be after a while, it wouldn't put me off the boat if the rest is good. The 3K boilers your quoting are the premium top of the range ones. Most Webastos are at the bottom end <1k end.

Does it have a stove to heat the boat? Webastos are unreliable for heating especially for liveaboards so another form of heating is recommended and the Morso will be expensive to run for heating.

Edited by Robbo

You could ask them to fix the webasto as your offer is based on that, or you could reduce the offer based on this new information.

However Webastos are the cheap boilers, if you find a working one on a boat it won't be after a while, it wouldn't put me off the boat if the rest is good. The 3K boilers your quoting are the premium top of the range ones. Most Webastos are at the bottom end <1k end.

Does it have a stove to heat the boat? Webastos are unreliable for heating especially for liveaboards so another form of heating is recommended and the Morso will be expensive to run for heating.

There is a gas stove...but do need more than the especially in the summer

Was that with road diesel, MJG, or red?

Probably 60/40.

When we first started boating it was always on red but for the latter couple of years red was harder to get when we moved up North so we used a fair ammount of road diesel.

Our Webasto was also 9 years old . Serviced and still going another 3 years later . Ask them to get a quote and maybe split the cost ? . Bunny

P.s Red diesel

Edited by Bunny

I was in this position about 18 months ago. Exactly the same story. I didn't pay the deposit until the heater had been repaired and I had seen it working as the seller wouldn't come down further. The heating was fixed. Great I thought, let's get this done. I asked the broker about the seller and if the seller had signed the contract. No, not yet I was told. Hang on I said, I'm not paying a deposit until the seller has committed to the sale. The seller went down the next day, refused to sign the Standard BMF contract because it was too onerous if further issues were found at the survey! At this point I cancelled the survey and walked away. I ended up buying privately.

My boat has a Webasto. It is nearly 9 years old and was serviced every 2 years by the previous owner, three times in all.

I was advised to run it hard monthly for an hour, and then it will only need servicing when it goes wrong.

So far (after 2 years) so good.

Whenever I've made an offer on a boat I've always put in writing that is against the description given and SUBJECT to satisfactory survey.

What's the problem?

The problem is how unsatisfactory does the survey have to be before you can walk away and get your deposit back?

5%!

Trouble is does that include or exclude the dodgy boiler as they have told me that already?

Ball is in their court now...waiting for them to replace or get a quote to fix and drop price accordingly.

That was yesterday...not heard anything today.

If someone else buys in the mean time....so be it!

There are plenty more boats, maybe not today, or tomorrow....but I'm happy to wait!

There are plenty more boats, maybe not today, or tomorrow....but I'm happy to wait!

I'd say this tells us all we need to hear. This boat doesn't 'move' you. Bail out and buy the one that does. It hasn't found you yet.

5%!

Trouble is does that include or exclude the dodgy boiler as they have told me that already?

Ball is in their court now...waiting for them to replace or get a quote to fix and drop price accordingly.

That was yesterday...not heard anything today.

If someone else buys in the mean time....so be it!

You will find the 5% clause is in every BMF Conditional Sale Agreement subject to survay Para 5 (if it is BMF documentation) you should also see at the end of this:

[1] 5% will not always be an appropriate figure and the point should be negotiated between the Parties prior to signing

This is the standard BMF F2 Conditional Sale Agreement that covers a vast array of boats and boat prices from a couple of hundred pounds to millions. Most narrowboat brokers don't enforce this clause, Is your broker going to enforce it?

You have not paid a deposit, signed a contract or had a survey so it is up to you, so why are you worrying about the 5%? The surveyor could find more issues, most people haggle the offer price down again after the survey not before. It all boils down to how much you want the boat, as mentioned a Webasto bare £700'ish, or do you start the whole process again,

Also remember the broker is working for the seller, If the boat has been on sale for a long time the broker may want to move it on, but if not he may hold out, now that the broker is aware of the Webasto fault he should make other interested parties aware of it.

You have not paid a deposit, signed any documentation or arranged a survey(I presume) so are they taking you seriously or just another fender kicker?

Edited by Northernboater

If you were given the impression the webasto was working, then you offer was clearly made on that basis. I would go back to the broker and to confirm that your offer stands provided that the vendor gets the webasto repaired or replaced and provides a warranty for the work, otherwise you will reduce your offer by the cost of getting the work done later.

that^^

That's what I did.....

Thought I would phone up a few days later as hadn't heard anything, was then told it had sold to someone else who doesn't mind the webasto not working!

Hey ho.....will keep looking patiently

Edited by kawaton

That's what I did.....

Thought I would phone up a few days later as hadn't heard anything, was then told it had sold to someone else who doesn't mind the webasto not working!

I thought you had a deposit already on it??

I've not kept up with the thread tho.

That's what I did.....

Yeah a seller's always going to accept the higher offer, that's the way it goes. With cheap boats, or boats which are good value, they're going to sell quick - a buyer can't necessarily hang around etc.

I've not kept up with the thread tho.[/quote

Had offer accepted.....:about to pay deposit.....then told "oh by the way....." So I said " hold on a sec" and did as suggested above......then they accepted another offer.

I've not kept up with the thread tho.

Had offer accepted.....:about to pay deposit.....then told "oh by the way....." So I said " hold on a sec" and did as suggested above......then they accepted another offer.

Same here, boat sold for £4k less than I offered while I was waiting for the seller to get back to me. Buyer paid deposit on the spot and didn't require a survey. Quick sale, a bird in the hand... Edited by boathunter