Is it me or is it widebeams?

starman

Featured Posts

On the contrary.....us people with sensible boats have nothing to prove in that department....

Cheers.

Gareth.

Please may I ask you a couple of questions Gareth;

Do you live on your boat?

Does your boat fufill your wants & needs of it?

Are you happy with your boat?

Please may I ask you a couple of questions Gareth;

Do you live on your boat?

Does your boat fufill your wants & needs of it?

Are you happy with your boat?

Yep to all and I get to travel the whole system.....oh and share wide locks and meet other interesting people while doing so.......all in a boat that doesn't look like its been sat on!!

Next question?

Cheers

Gareth.

• Greenie 2

You are about right there Ray T (I thought better of quoting your post).

I think maybe in the absence of politics and of many of the folk on one side of the enforcement discussions wide-beams and their owners seem to be a new target. I am fast developing sympathies for their owners reading this thread.

I might show solidarity by sharing locks with them. Oh wait, no. ?

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

"Hate" is a very emotive word - as a matter of fact I'm not too keen on it either.

It is. It's a piece of trite twaddle that 'everyone' is supposed to agree with and learn from. sick.gif

Actually, Vicki Butler-Henderson reading it would be pushing my limits to the extreme sick.gifsick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

I am fast developing sympathies for their owners reading this thread.

Well, quite. They are boats and people love them. I have already pointed out that I see owning a canal boat as a totally illogical thing to do, so applying any rational argument to which is best is a complete waste of time.

It's a bit like telling someone their child is ugly

Richard

Edited by RLWP
  • Greenie 1

Thinking about boats, to steer a wide boat one has to have a wider outlook, so does it logically follow having a narrow boat - oh hang on a mo!

Yours sincerely

A narrow boat owner

captain.gif

Edited by Ray T

Well for what it's worth my wife and I have a love of this countries waterways....we are not snobs....don't have endless funds and we like narrowboats (to look at) but have no desire to spend our lives on the water living on a narrowboat .we want and enjoy space and comfort and despite all the nb owners negative views on wbs we will be moving onto one in the not too distant future. We accept a wb has restrictions on the waterways and that's fine there's still plenty for us to enjoy and once we have done what we can in the uk we can always go into Europe so there's a bonus. I would be happy to pay more in license fees based on size it's no different to having to pay a fortune in road tax and insurance for owning a 350z Nissan which only goes on the road less than 700 miles a year when my friend pays little tax etc on his mini which travels over 15000 miles a year ...the way I see it if living on a narrowboat ticks all your boxes then it's right for you if it doesn't (as in our case) then why compromise when you can have a wb built which offers all you desire.one last observation regards comments against wbs on this forum ...unless I've missed it I have yet to see a wb owner constantly spouting off negative views on narrowboat ownership. There will be fantastic narrowboat owners out on the waterways I'm sure but I bet there's a good number of them who fellow nb owners give a very wide berth and likewise there will be good and bad wb owners on the water too. I could be wrong but is it the wb itself people have issues with or their misconception of the wb owners in general?

• Greenie 2

Thinking about boats, to steer a wide boat one has to have a wider outlook, so does it logically follow having a narrow boat - oh hang on a mo!

Yours sincerely

A narrow boat owner

captain.gif

Oh they get steered??.....the ones I've seen tend to get pointed in the rough direction while the person on the back hopes for the best........usually while revving the nuts off the engine....and using a pathetic bow thruster.......

Hey ho

Gareth

Well for what it's worth my wife and I have a love of this countries waterways....we are not snobs....don't have endless funds and we like narrowboats (to look at) but have no desire to spend our lives on the water living on a narrowboat .we want and enjoy space and comfort and despite all the nb owners negative views on wbs we will be moving onto one in the not too distant future. We accept a wb has restrictions on the waterways and that's fine there's still plenty for us to enjoy and once we have done what we can in the uk we can always go into Europe so there's a bonus. I would be happy to pay more in license fees based on size it's no different to having to pay a fortune in road tax and insurance for owning a 350z Nissan which only goes on the road less than 700 miles a year when my friend pays little tax etc on his mini which travels over 15000 miles a year ...the way I see it if living on a narrowboat ticks all your boxes then it's right for you if it doesn't (as in our case) then why compromise when you can have a wb built which offers all you desire.one last observation regards comments against wbs on this forum ...unless I've missed it I have yet to see a wb owner constantly spouting off negative views on narrowboat ownership. There will be fantastic narrowboat owners out on the waterways I'm sure but I bet there's a good number of them who fellow nb owners give a very wide berth and likewise there will be good and bad wb owners on the water too. I could be wrong but is it the wb itself people have issues with or their misconception of the wb owners in general?

Would give you several greenies if i knew how. A boat is a boat, a boater a boater...

Ian.

Yep to all and I get to travel the whole system.....oh and share wide locks and meet other interesting people while doing so.......all in a boat that doesn't look like its been sat on!!

Next question?

Cheers

Gareth.

So to stay on my point for just a moment...

You live on your boat, you boat fulfills your wants & needs, and your happy with your boat. Great, good for you.

One last question, why do you give a monkeys armpit what type of boat I like, or do you feel my wants and needs should be identical to yours, or that I am not just as happy with my choice as you are with yours?

You might like to give this a try, it's worked for me quite well in the past. If I find something unpleasant in my line of sight, I look away in the other direction then the offensive object is no longer a problem

No offense, but I don't "think" you are someone I would find "interesting" to share a lock with either, but I could be wrong, you may actually be a really nice guy face to face wink.png

Well, quite. They are boats and people love them. I have already pointed out that I see owning a canal boat as a totally illogical thing to do, so applying any rational argument to which is best is a complete waste of time.

It's a bit like telling someone their child is ugly

Richard

And a greenie to you sir, I just love it when someone makes the same point I'm trying to make, but does it so much better than I do and with WAY less words cheers.gif

• Greenie 1

So to stay on my point for just a moment...

You live on your boat, you boat fulfills your wants & needs, and your happy with your boat. Great, good for you.

One last question, why do you give a monkeys armpit what type of boat I like, or do you feel my wants and needs should be identical to yours, or that I am not just as happy with my choice as you are with yours?

You might like to give this a try, it's worked for me quite well in the past. If I find something unpleasant in my line of sight, I look away in the other direction then the offensive object is no longer a problem

No offense, but I don't "think" you are someone I would find "interesting" to share a lock with either, but I could be wrong, you may actually be a really nice guy face to face wink.png

Please dont take this the wrong way either but thankfully I won't have to share a lock with you anytime soon either.

You are touchy when anyone dares to say that fat boats aren't perfect.....I do wonder if you are slowly realising that they just may not be the best choice for the majority of inland waterways of this country.

And I'm afraid I'm just as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours.

Cheers

Gareth.

And?

A blank reply is not a reply. sorry , phone troubles.

Sorry. Phone troubles.

Yes, really.

Obviously within the context of the discussion & taken in conjunction with the rest of my post. Terms & conditions apply.

• Greenie 1

Next question?

Cheers

Gareth.

Ha, brilliant.

Is that how you choose your boats? "Have you got one that doesn't look like it's been sat on? oh, in green if possible. Yes portholes, hold the mayo""