River Lee, Hoddeston

HappyDayz

Featured Posts

I did my first stint using locks, i went South from where the Stort starts, next lock along i think is is called 'Dobs something at Hoddestone it was busy, i pased through with laids of help from others.

On may back it took s long time to 'flood' and eventually equalise, i checked the upper slusch paddles were fuly open, lower ones were fully closed.

To me as an admitted novice, it seemed the South gates have worn at the bottom, letting substantial water escape, slowing down thd whole process severely and causing backlogs of boats.

Do i report this if so to who? as i fear if left water errossion will cause much further damage to these gates.

Alan

Thanks Lady Muck,

It makes me reluctant to try them again tbh, simply over the time it takes to go through.

I know repairs will be expensive, so i guess likely the funds are not there, going to be a point when to much water gets by the lower gate and upper gates can't equalise pressure and be opened ?.

If a boat gets stuck the wrong side from their mooring or ramp, what is the situation regarding temporary mooring and getting to your car?

Alan

But such a pretty River to cruise, and some very nice mooring spots as well

We are relatively new to owning a torer and canal boating, making our iften embarrassing mistakes ?, we have been on tourist boat trips in Amsterdam etc. But this is a whole new world.

I'm no nature expert, but then i'm no gardiner as my wife will testify, and i just can't get into that fishing lark or photography.

But this boating bug has really bitt me hard, part of that is watching the wildlife, because i'm not stuck in one place for to long - unless i break down ?.

I find myself giving the creatures characters, and adding 'conversations', then the Grandkids join in - and they are at the spotty teen's age.

I'm sure other boaters think we have all started to drink too early in the morning when we are stone sober ?.

Alan

If you really want to show off up there refer to the paddles as "slackers". I is (was) the local name for them, I was told as I worked through Stanstead lock the other day. The man who told me would have been about 75 at a guess.

The locks do take a long time but that is partly to do with the large draught of barge that they were designed for. Most of the locks never show their cills. They are too deep and this means that the gates, even the top ones, have a huge area. Even the tiniest bit out of level means they are impossible to open but nearly all of them are well balanced and free on the bearings so once the water is truly level they open easily but slowly.

If you get the chance do go up the Stort. It is a river which strongly contrasts with the Lea (or Lee) and is well worth a visit. We are still on the way up towards Bishop's Stortford. We are moored above Sawbridgeworth Lock for a day or two.

Nick

If you really want to show off up there refer to the paddles as "slackers". I is (was) the local name for them, I was told as I worked through Stanstead lock the other day. The man who told me would have been about 75 at a guess.

The locks do take a long time but that is partly to do with the large draught of barge that they were designed for. Most of the locks never show their cills. They are too deep and this means that the gates, even the top ones, have a huge area. Even the tiniest bit out of level means they are impossible to open but nearly all of them are well balanced and free on the bearings so once the water is truly level they open easily but slowly.

If you get the chance do go up the Stort. It is a river which strongly contrasts with the Lea (or Lee) and is well worth a visit. We are still on the way up towards Bishop's Stortford. We are moored above Sawbridgeworth Lock for a day or two.

Nick

Slackers is also the term used on the Middle Levels and the Ouse Washes

http://www.ousewashes.info/sluices/slackers.htm

I've an excellent article on the subject of the terminology somewhere on a dusty disk drive at work.

Edited by gazza

I'm already in the dog house, Madam was using a folding plastic step to see over the cabin of our 23ft Viking cruiser, which has quite a deep floor, her being 5ft 6ins. I have hand rails either side ofthe cabin doors and warned tobe sure to hold onto these on her side.

we decided not to go through ghe next lock, but turn around using a 3 point turn (well more like 30 points tbh).

i had to give some extra reverse throttle to slow down, which then meant i needed to apply some forward thrust to counter

Just as i switched gear through neutral to forward the engine sneezed and stalled while in tick over, caused me to come in a bit hotter to the Barrier behind me.

Not only did this cause Susan to loose her grip and land painfully on her back, she had picked up a full glass of orange juice which thent got launched all over her - but totally missed me.

Because she was lodged on the floor, i could not get the cabin door open in order to pull her up using wrist to wrist hand holds.

Neither of us are lightweights, i have a troublesome back and Susan has had replacement knees, so not the full bend range and can't kneel, and now we are adrift in midfle stream.

I finally got her in a position i could open the cabin door to get her up.

I don't think she will be uskng that step sgain, and the atmosphere has been a frosty of late - for some reason ?

Alan

Thanks fir the suggestion, i'm going ti chsnge the floorlayoutsi it is all level, the cabin door swings outward so an issue to overcome ehen open.

Might be i'll use one of those sear mounts that are afixed to the gunnel that can be folded ohu of the way when not used.

It happened last time out, so i've not had time to do anything.

We are in Birmingham (by car) looking around at canals etc. this weekend for our 45th anniversary, she is still grunting at me, so some positive signs of recovery ?.

Alan

You'll find locks like that all over. Some locks are self-filling, and some self-emptying when left to their own devices. Most wide locks that I've seen have wear & leakage on the gates at about rubbing-strake height. No idea how it happens.

You'll find locks like that all over. Some locks are self-filling, and some self-emptying when left to their own devices. Most wide locks that I've seen have wear & leakage on the gates at about rubbing-strake height. No idea how it happens.

Many locks have bywashes which take surplus water around them thus avoiding overflowing the lock chamber itself. But there are other designs - some take the water through the lock and out over the top of the bottom gates. In a few cases it passes over the top of the top paddle mechanism and thus into the culvert into the bottom of the locks. I have even seen a few where the culvert comes in at the lower end of the chamber. Left to themselves in times other than a drought they will gradually fill up unless the bottom gates leak even faster. Wide locks are more prone to leaks through the middle of the bottom gates as most narrowboaters only open one gate and, if careless, strike the liner on the leading edge of the unopened gate gradually rubbing it away. Many such gates are constructed so that either the liner can be replaced or the end planed straight, giving the gates a new lease on life.

Edited by Mike Todd

I'm already in the dog house, Madam was using a folding plastic step to see over the cabin of our 23ft Viking cruiser, which has quite a deep floor, her being 5ft 6ins. I have hand rails either side ofthe cabin doors and warned tobe sure to hold onto these on her side.

Neither of us are lightweights,

Alan

Not to worry Alal, I'm also a bit of a short arse (5ft 6ins as well) and can't see over the roof of the boat when steering it, and nor am I a light weight. Dave however is the opposite at over 6 ft and a bean pole build.

He has built me a step out of some left over decking planks we had on the roof, it's about the size of a battery, so not too high and good and sturdy to take my weight, just big enough to get both my feet on without being so big it gets in his way if I'm not at the back.

He uses it as a step to get his bum up to the side of the back hatch were he normally sits (ours of a Trad stern set up) whilst in charge of the tiller

Edited by Bettie Boo

Nick

Thanks Nick,

If I don't fall in then I'm showing off as it is

I looked at a map of the Stort it seems very narrow in the Essex sections, wondered how far I'd before it gets tidal.

Alan

The Stort isn't tidal, its a canal all the way up.a river has to go directly out into the sea with no locks to be tidal.

Just shows I'm still learning lol!

It go's upto Bishops Stortford so the towns name reason is obvious, but where can you go from there on?

We went to Birmingham for a few days, where Peaky Blinders is filmed, and visited the living museum. A good day out but not enough to make it a regular stop imho despite your ticked being valid for a years re-entry.

Alan

Slackers is also the term used on the Middle Levels and the Ouse Washes

http://www.ousewashes.info/sluices/slackers.htm

I've an excellent article on the subject of the terminology somewhere on a dusty disk drive at work.

Actually the term for paddles on the Middle Level is 'Penstocks', As is 'Lock Doors' is used instead of 'Lock Gates'.

It go's upto Bishops Stortford so the towns name reason is obvious, but where can you go from there on?

Bishop's Stortford is the end of the navigation.

We went to Birmingham for a few days ... and visited the living museum.

No you didn't! The Black Country Living Museum is in Dudley, in the Black Country, and definitely not in Birmingham!

Bishop's Stortford is the end of the navigation.

No you didn't! The Black Country Living Museum is in Dudley, in the Black Country, and definitely not in Birmingham!

Thanks for the Stort info navigation, but why would i lie?

While we DID visit the museum, I don't think i said the museum was actually in Birmingham? I'm From Essex, my geography if the Black Country is not my strongest point.

BFYI - We actually stayed in the room 11, the Travel Lodge Dudley, oposite to ASDA, B&M and the Blue Brick Pub, a strange name (and one that has to be very carefully spoken after a mouthful of wine gums).

But, if you wish to be pedantic, the Museum was just about 10 mins up the road by car. Has an old green 0-4-0 steam engine on the front by the left of the entrance, tram on the hour, also a trolley bus and an old single decker coach.

The showroom to the left up the hill as you come out of reception has various vintage motor cars, i knew AJS made motor cycles, but not cars. Further around where the coach stops there is motte bikes, has an experimental inboard engine in the window made by the 'seagull' makers - aparently never worked properly though.

Two tourist barge's (that were once one), which were parted for being too long, we went on the half named 'George', the ofher half iirc was 'William', i did wonder why it was not called 'Dragon' ? Guess perhaps just to obvious ;).

Hint - we like the Peaky Blinders series and the museum is where it is partialy filmed, the main reason for visiting it ?

We were told the Anchors for the Titanic were made in the Black Country, which i remarked perhaps they made them work to well?

I had actually thought the Selby gang was a 'for Tv drama' but the Blinders gang apparently did exist before the 1st War, if not so well groomed or having the fancy footballer Type weird haircuts. In the show they have Tom and his brother tunneling into a hill to blow uo the enemy, but that era was in the batle of The Some

We visited Birmingham because it lays claim to being the centre of the canal system. While we have driven around Birminham many times, we had never stopped to look before, now owning a canal cruiser we had cause for interest.

Some sort of 1/2 marathon was in progress, completing near the Barclay Centre (just to prove we were actually there to!).

Place is wall to wall restaurants and pubs, many off the main beat were closed up, indicating it must be hell with so much competition to keep going.

Hint - we also like canals ?.

Alan

Actually the term for paddles on the Middle Level is 'Penstocks', As is 'Lock Doors' is used instead of 'Lock Gates'.

Thanks for the info,

the locks do fascinate me, all that water held back by very simple but effective methods, snd given the time they were built, leaves me in a appreciation of the skills used.

Being able and alloed to use them for part of our leisure activity, to me is an appreciated bonus.

Alan