living alone/tunnel anxiety/night visitor/diesel theft

tagulablue

Featured Posts

Just like to say thanks to all the positive encouragement I feel a lot more confident and I am going to have a good go at the challenges ahead.. I am currently bulk baking so that any member that comes across Tagula Blue will be welcomed with a cake and tea or a cold beer. Planning to go from Willington to Fradley over next weekend so give me a wave or better still call in for a drink and some cake.. Thanks to everybody x

• Greenie 1

I can only give you one greenie for that, and I think you deserve a lot more

Enjoy your boating, be happy and be sad as you need. And use your friends - that's what they are for, the times when things get a bit rubbish

And the very best of luck. Take care

Richard

well all packed (well almost..) .....off to boat tomorrow.. .... I will gain confidence on the single locks...... beer and cake for everyone !! x

Best news I've heard today. Good luck.

• Greenie 1

Hi tagablue,

I to offer my sincere condolences, obviously feelings are very raw being so recent. I'm not widowed but over the years i have lost both perants and close freinds.

I can't offer a magic way to stop the grief, it is part of life but i find i can lessen it when i'm blue, thinking of the the many good and or helarious times i had with all of them..

If you like It's kind of my way of paying homage to them.

Alan

Hi Tagablue,

Glad to see that you are able to move forward in a more positive mind. As someone has said, your loss is so recent - it must be so fresh, I'm impressed if you can even think straight. Lost my parents just over a year ago, and nothing any one could have said or done can prepare you for how it feels. Yes, you will hear all the comments that life gets better etc. No - it gets different. At first I found the despair of the loss, but strive each day to get to the point where I can celebrate their lives, rather than grieving for what has gone - still not there yet - and that was over 12 months in my case.

Yes, on these forums you will tend to see a lot of negativity - but in one respect, that is one of the good points - this is somewhere where we can go when we have problems and in most cases find a friendly, helpful response. yes, we've had issues - but none have been as bad as some that you read on here - I would argue, you tend to only hear of the worst case scenarios.

I would say, the canal community is the most friendly, helpful bunch of people we have come across. Take each day as it comes, live & enjoy the moment and try not to focus on what 'might' happen.

Glad to hear you are heading out on the boat, i am a fairly new live aboard, whilst i have not lost my wife in that way, we did split last year, have said this before on here on another post, i felt so alone, being in a narrowboat is also very hard when you have spent 40 years in large houses, it felt like the walls were closing in on me at some points, but i got my head down and started my own business and got to working on the boat.

I am now drifting around the midlands, the boat feels like home and i would not go back to a house, the posts about thefts and intruders are worrying, i do sometimes get a little freaked out when i am alone with no other boats around, but i am getting better at that, in fact most of the time now i prefer to be alone so i can have peace and run my engine if i want, but then if i know i will spending a day or two away from the boat i will find a spot where other boats are present, safety in numbers and all that!

Spend some time at Fradley, its a lovely spot with plenty of boats around, build your confidence up and most of all enjoy it, its worth it wheen you are sitting on the deck, glass of wine, feeding the ducks, sun shining, no cars thrashing past your front window, no police sirens, no horrible kids!

I hope you get through this with the boat in your possesion still.

If you come down the coventry at any time keep an eye out for me and bring cakes, i love the cakes!!