do "boats" bother wtih 2 way light switching?

Featured Posts

That's interesting, what system do you use to control it all?

Good question I approved concept , specifics are on saved down on line and my memory stick. We also have a PLC which controls the automatic switching which ensures we capture heat most effectively from engine , generator or wabesco/bubble it also gets the generator to come on automatically if batteries fall below a certain level or high demand if alternator on engine not engaged.

Ours has just one and its not for the lights. We have one water pump switch in the galley and one in the toilet. No required because we have an accumulator but fitted so that one did not have to stumble about at night to turn the water pump switch on and off again.

The life of water pumps can be extended incredibly if they're switched off after use,''like overnight''. and pressure relieved by cracking open a tap. It is a great relief for the pump to have long depressurized rests like this and to have the dreadful strain removed from their poor plastic bodies.

If we were expected to hold our breath for hours on end, we'd go off pop too and start to leak.

Personally I have self switching lights, but several of our fit outs included 2 way switching in places, 1 way in very small areas. But then some fit out we did were all one way. We tended to wire led's in small groups so there was plenty of flexibility on how much or how little you had on via a single switch.

The life of water pumps can be extended incredibly if they're switched off after use,''like overnight''. and pressure relieved by cracking open a tap. It is a great relief for the pump to have long depressurized rests like this and to have the dreadful strain removed from their poor plastic bodies.

If we were expected to hold our breath for hours on end, we'd go off pop too and start to leak.

Not considered that side of things, I have had two leak around the diaphragms

I have bought all "switched" led downlights from here http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/led-touchdownlight-silver-recess-flat.html and on asking, they gave me a welcomed discount for buying 23.

We also have a couple of strips of leds planned for under the gunhwale in the lounge but i worked out they draw about 5a each which seems a little steep.

I suppose, because the ceiling lights are all individually switchable, just having 1 way switching for each compartment seemed to make sense.

We also have a couple of strips of leds planned for under the gunhwale in the lounge but i worked out they draw about 5a each which seems a little steep.

I think our galley+dinette+saloon is around 25' and the LED tape down most of both sides take a total of 5A, less if dimmed of course.

They still crop up on ebay from time to time... why not get some then?!

Never seriously considered it probably because of the gas to the lamp problems but I am going to look into it and any input appreciated. I also luurv oil lamps but swmbo does not like the smell, even of the " Non smelly stuff " unsure.png

Tim

Never seriously considered it probably because of the gas to the lamp problems but I am going to look into it and any input appreciated. I also luurv oil lamps but swmbo does not like the smell, even of the " Non smelly stuff " :unsure:

Tim

Have a friend who still has gas lamps in his cabin as his only lights, mantles getting expensive now but he has no intention of changing.

If you have enough switched lights along the length of the boat's interior you don't need two-way switches at all -- at least, that's our experience. You are never more than a metre or two from a switch, and the last ones 'off' at night are the over-bed LEDs anyway.

But then I'm not averse to walking a few steps!

It's probably a question of well-thought-out lighting layouts in the first place, for which I can take no credit at all.