Living Alone (scary)

Greylady2

Featured Posts

We have had two JRT's and both have been like an early warning system of any approaches in the dead of night. Some will no doubt have been false alarms and just a mouse farting on the tow path but I would reckon not all have been.

Keen hearing and a loud bark, I always feel safe when I have my dog with me knowing he will hear stuff before I do.

Get a dog, a boat sized one.

Thank you MJG

I have cottoned on you know your stuff, would 2 be OK on a 57ft'r, they would never be left alone ever.

One of my boaty freinds had a rescue pit bull that was on the 'list' I can't take that risk due to my circumstances but it is amazing to see a single bloke giving a dog a new life.

A nice bloke who saved a dog from stuff.

Edited by Greylady2

Thank you MJG

I have cottoned on you know your stuff, would 2 be OK on a 57ft'r, they would never be left alone ever.

One of my boaty freind had a rescue pit bull that was on the 'list' I can't take that risk due to my circumstances but it is amazing to see a single bloke give a dog a new life.

A nice bloke who saved a dog.

A 57ft boat could easily accommodate you and two Jack Russels. Double trouble!!

As for rescue dogs?

We personally wanted as much involvement as possible from as young as possible so we bought from breeders. Other people have had great success with rescue dogs but for a whole load of reasons we decided it wasn't for us.

It might work for you though, Jack Russels are very commonly placed in rescue kennels and there is a reason for that, they are hard work, need lots of exercise and they love to be the leader of the pack and need a firm hand. Not literally of course. People often give them up finding it all too demanding, small dog big attitude.

If a Jack hasn't had this in a previous life and been given up on then it's hard work to correct. Better in my opinion to start from new.

Males definitely benefit from being neutered as well.

Just my two cents worth, I don't profess to be an expert but just know a bit about the breed.

Edited by MJG

I re-homed a cross bred terrier..she has anxiety/nerves/aggression issues..my youngest sons partner has her now..they really love her but have made her much worse by giving in to her anxieties and I don't like what she's become....I have grand children and she has to be watched 24/7. When I rescued Molly, Roxy sort of went to them....though she did holiday with me, but they wanted to keep her. Molly needed lot of care initially and Roxy's nose out of joint...It was so complicated!

I would have dogs from new not re-home unless you really have the time and expertise to sort out issues.

Thanks MJG

I kinda feel drawn to rescue dogs and I've been to windy willows, being honest people have helped me out from rock bottom and seeing that pit bull walking along side this boater without a lead made me proper smile I said to him omgord he got no lead on and he smiled 'yep'

I think two smaller dogs like JR'S would be a much better option.

Now I need to work on dad.

Hehe thanks.

My batterys is moaning now.

Nan night all

Edited by Greylady2

I wondered about that as we went through the Blisworth the other day! Ultimate peace and quiet!

What about the ghosts? Must have been down at The Boat for a pints. ??

https://www.google.com.sg/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/tunnel-of-terror-1-949528&ved=0ahUKEwjV2_67t8TNAhUKrY8KHU_-BPUQFghGMAs&usg=AFQjCNFKbc8JBhi1IyzcVsHC-bVQIrL6Ww

Edited by Woodsy

Thanks MJG

I kinda feel drawn to rescue dogs and I've been to windy willows, being honest people have helped me out from rock bottom and seeing that pit bull walking along side this boater without a lead made me proper smile I said to him omgord he got no lead on and he smiled 'yep'

I think two smaller dogs like JR'S would be a much better option.

Now I need to work on dad.

Hehe thanks.

My batterys is moaning now.

Nan night all

I have had 5 dogs in my lifetime, the last 3 of which have been rescues.

Until we got Zeus, our rescue GSD, I would have said "get a rescue dod, they will repay your love many times over". Now I'm not so sure. We love Zeus dearly, and soon realised the kind of help he needed was beyond my experience, so called the experts in. However nearly one year on, all of his issues are sorted, except for the one I want sorted most. He cannot tolerate the sight of other dogs, unless they are in the barn where he has his weekly lessons!

Makes boating hard, as you can only moor where you can be sure there are no other dogs, yet there is room to exercise (exorcise?) him.

Edited to remove duplicate post caused by a so slooowww Internet connection.

Edited by cuthound

If i was to get a rescue dog again i would gte a pup again, we was lucky to get Zig when she was 6 month old, or thereabouts, she has a few strange things going on like does not like a sudden noise or new things around her, growls at certain street furniture, but she is a cracking dog, i would think it easier to get a young a dog as possible if it has to be a rescue dog, or unless you have a loads of time to train them, i am sorry to say i need more with Zig but just dont have it.

Oh and Zig is an American bull cross so a bit big at 6 stone for a NB liveaboard.

I do understand the feeling though, as many years ago, when i was many years younger i had to live in a camper van, and also had a German Shepard dog which she helped me through the nights but still nervous of where to park up, i chose the most far out places i could which was not easy in Manchester.

I have had 5 dogs in my lifetime, the last 3 of which have been rescues.

Until we got Zeus, our rescue GSD, I would have said "get a rescue dod, they will repay your love many times over". Now I'm not so sure. We love Zeus dearly, and soon realised the kind of help he needed was beyond my experience, so called the experts in. However nearly one year on, all of his issues are sorted, except for the one I want sorted most. He cannot tolerate the sight of other dogs, unless they are in the barn where he has his weekly lessons!

Makes boating hard, as you can only moor where you can be sure there are no other dogs, yet there is room to exercise (exorcise?) him.

Edited to remove duplicate post caused by a so slooowww Internet connection.

Thank you cuthound.

It would be nice to save a dog and I can understand what your saying, dogs are like people sometimes better.

I guess when taking on a rescue dog you never know what it's struggling with until we get them home.

I don't know what to do just yet I've had 4 dogs from pups (chewing buggers for 12 months) lol

Cheers

I do understand the feeling though, as many years ago, when i was many years younger i had to live in a camper van, and also had a German Shepard dog which she helped me through the nights but still nervous of where to park up, i chose the most far out places i could which was not easy in Manchester.

I recon having a big dog and falling in love (in a caring way obviously) blush ! with it can kinda remove the security aspect, I use to put myself between my Ghd and a nasty looking dog. Edited by Greylady2

If you've had 4 dogs then you know dogs..visit a few rescues but ensure you vet them carefully. Sometimes people give them up due to health reasons so there are well adjusted dogs out there. Trouble may be is introducing them to Narrowboat life if set in their ways on solid ground.

If I get another it will probably be a puppy or young rescue but Im not ready yet. I feel that if I get one i would like a dog that bonds with me..Molly had had so many people in her life, mainly blokes and i always felt despite all i did I wasn't the one she would have chosen if she could have, she saw me as the one who took her vets, groomed and washed her..all of which she hated. As for Roxy..well once sons partners family started spoiling her and pampering her she wasn't mine anymore.

If you've had 4 dogs then you know dogs..visit a few rescues but ensure you vet them carefully. Sometimes people give them up due to health reasons so there are well adjusted dogs out there. Trouble may be is introducing them to Narrowboat life if set in their ways on solid ground.

If I get another it will probably be a puppy or young rescue but Im not ready yet. I feel that if I get one i would like a dog that bonds with me..Molly had had so many people in her life, mainly blokes and i always felt despite all i did I wasn't the one she would have chosen if she could have, she saw me as the one who took her vets, groomed and washed her..all of which she hated. As for Roxy..well once sons partners family started spoiling her and pampering her she wasn't mine anymore.

Aww patty I a sure Roxy knew you were the one, animals can be more loyal to the hand that feeds them a bit like kids and sweets I guess.

Little buggers.

I hope you find a lovely dog when your ready. :-)

I am still working on my dad to allow me to have a sole mate.

Wish me luck, he's already adopted my cat which I love to much to loose on the canal as he hates water and is a house cat through and through.

I fitted some decent sized brass shoot bolts to the inside of our doors and rear hatch. You can lock yourself in with them, but get out easily as you don't need a key and they only take a second to undo. They can't be undone from outside, so anyone undesirable wouldn't be able to get in.

To put this into perspective I think most nights when out I sleep in Back Cabin and don't even lock it. (I'm more afraid of fire!).

Never had any agg.

We never lock the back cabin door and in warm weather sleep with it open, just with a dog grille across it. We don't have a dog any more but people thinking to enter might think that we do and anyway, moving it will cause a jangly clatter.

N

https://youtu.be/i52q7Y5jPYY

Gonna get me a virtual dog. Lol

OK maybe not

We never lock the back cabin door and in warm weather sleep with it open, just with a dog grille across it. We don't have a dog any more but people thinking to enter might think that we do and anyway, moving it will cause a jangly clatter.

N

Hey you gave me an idea if I threw all the empty beer cans on the floor I would hear them walking through the boat.

Ha

Edited by Greylady2
  • Greenie 1

Thank you cuthound.

It would be nice to save a dog and I can understand what your saying, dogs are like people sometimes better.

I guess when taking on a rescue dog you never know what it's struggling with until we get them home.

I don't know what to do just yet I've had 4 dogs from pups (chewing buggers for 12 months) lol

Cheers

I recon having a big dog and falling in love (in a caring way obviously) blush ! with it can kinda remove the security aspect, I use to put myself between my Ghd and a nasty looking dog.

most definatley, i think protected her more than her me, we had a few moments when i was, shall we say temp security in the gas yard i worked at, had a few break ins when i went out firt as i didnt want zig ( yes my old dog from yeasr ago was called ziggy also ) getting hurt, but when they spotted zig they soon ran off. so just the sight of a dog helps.

I recon 2 full breed GSD"S are on the cards from Poland,

It's a bleedin' disgrace: East European dogs comin' over 'ere takin' our jobs, mutter, growl...

Wouldn't they be "PSDs"?

Males definitely benefit from being neutered as well.

...though, if there was a referendum, most would vote "Remain".

most definatley, i think protected her more than her me, we had a few moments when i was, shall we say temp security in the gas yard i worked at, had a few break ins when i went out firt as i didnt want zig ( yes my old dog from yeasr ago was called ziggy also ) getting hurt, but when they spotted zig they soon ran off. so just the sight of a dog helps.

I am the same, I dont know how police dog owners can send their dogs into battle with someone holding a knife.

Even though their trained.

You must be a softy like me when it comes to dogs. Lol

It's a bleedin' disgrace: East European dogs comin' over 'ere takin' our jobs, mutter, growl...

Wouldn't they be "PSDs"?

...though, if there was a referendum, most would vote "Remain".

Haha Athy that made me laugh !

So are you a poodle or a labra-poodle old 'chum'?

Edited by Greylady2