Garrison Flight Closed ufn

Tom and Bex

Featured Posts

Haven't seen this posted yet but looks like the Garrison flight is closed due to dangerous structure next to bottom lock. Anyone know what this is? At least they seem to be publishing it widely - found out by a noticed pinned to Delph to lock.

Hope the following link works but posting on my phone. Stoppage notice: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/8209/saltley-lock-flight-1-to-5-birmingham-and-warwick-canalalthough they seem to call it Saltley flight.

With Aston also closed until 17th June it might affect a few people's plans. Quite a few hours further via Ryders Green and Perry Bar but it's one way to encourage traffic on underused parts of the BCN!

The CRT should be threatening to sue the owner and the council for making them close the canal. The right of navigation should never have been taken away.

There is no right of navigation it was abolished years ago

That is nuts that has messed up the Warwickshire ring. Why do CRT insist is using historical names so people can't tell where the stoppage realy is. Isn't there a stoppage due on Ryder's Green too, or is that after Aston has been done. This shows the risks of doing these summer stoppages, an additional failure and you are in trouble.

That is nuts that has messed up the Warwickshire ring. Why do CRT insist is using historical names so people can't tell where the stoppage realy is. Isn't there a stoppage due on Ryder's Green too, or is that after Aston has been done. This shows the risks of doing these summer stoppages, an additional failure and you are in trouble.

What if this was the lock keepers cottage at Atherstone, or anywhere else along the parts of the Warwickshire ring? It just happens to be on a triplicated part

Richard

What if this was the lock keepers cottage at Atherstone, or anywhere else along the parts of the Warwickshire ring? It just happens to be on a triplicated part

Richard

Yes all true, but the parts through Birmingham are perhaps more fragile to this type of issue. Let's hope it gets fixed quickly,.

Yes all true, but the parts through Birmingham are perhaps more fragile to this type of issue. Let's hope it gets fixed quickly,.

If it is because of the house, I doubt it will be quick

Richard

Why do CRT insist is using historical names so people can't tell where the stoppage realy is.

They called it Saltley; which is where it really is. I would have thought Garrison would be the historical name. Unless you think it should now be called the Heartlands flight?

JP

They called it Saltley; which is where it really is. I would have thought Garrison would be the historical name. Unless you think it should now be called the Heartlands flight?

JP

I thought that historically it was "Birmingham and Warwick Junction Canal" known as "Saltley Cut", the flight today is called Garrison is it not, so why not say that so when people look at a guide book it is clear.

They did he same thing when there was a proposed stoppage between Napton junction and Braunston turn (a culvert), it was only listed as a stoppage on the Oxford and not on the Grand Union. It would think most people travelling the GU that happened to include that part would not think to check the Oxfored stoppages as well as the GU ones, even though historicall it is the Oxford.

I thought that historically it was "Birmingham and Warwick Junction Canal" known as "Saltley Cut", the flight today is called Garrison is it not, so why not say that so when people look at a guide book it is clear.

They did he same thing when there was a proposed stoppage between Napton junction and Braunston turn (a culvert), it was only listed as a stoppage on the Oxford and not on the Grand Union. It would think most people travelling the GU that happened to include that part would not think to check the Oxfored stoppages as well as the GU ones, even though historicall it is the Oxford.

As far as I know you are correct about the names - official and unofficial - of the canal itself but I thought Garrison was the correct name for the lock flight and always had been hence I wasn't sure why you referred to CRTs use of a historic name. I see now what you were referring to.

I guess it would be logical to include Napton to Braunston as a sub-section of the Grand Union on the stoppage notices for practical purposes.

JP

I guess it would be logical to include Napton to Braunston as a sub-section of the Grand Union on the stoppage notices for practical purposes.

Indeed. And that means from Napton Junction to the entrance to Braunston Marina. Who these days thinks of the section between Braunston Turn and the marina as part of the Oxford Canal? But it is!

So perhaps the person called Ellis Greaterex who is whinging away on the "other site" - no, not the "boat that cannot be named" - the other "other site" - stating that this is all CRT'S fault and "not good enough", will now give CRT some credit for getting Aston open ahead of schedule so that boating can continue?

On the other hand, I wouldn't hold my breath as they never usually let the facts get in the way of a good story...