Dumping an old Freezer. where please ? liecester/Foxton way

Terryb

Featured Posts

get hold of local gypo, he will take it and dump it in the hedge with a load of other household waste sad.png

If you do that, and ownership of the fridge is tracked down to you, you get prosecuted and fined. The offence is disposing of waste to a non-licenced waste carrier or something like that.

There was an article on R4 the other day about a woman who paid someone advertising on Gumtree to collect and dispose of a wardrobe. They dumped in at the roadside and council officials tracked it down to her. She was fined something phenomenal like £5,000. It's becoming a common problem apparently annd they did a whole investigative news article about it.

There are very strict regulations about the disposal of fridges and freezers, but our local Council (for all it's faults) will tke them at their re-cycling centres free of any charge, and whilst you are supposed to be a resident, I have never seen anyone challenged, I have also seen people carry stuff onto the site from outside without any challenge.

I took my dads old freezer and it was very old. Lowestoft wanted to charge me when they helped to unload it as they try to claim due to the weight it was industrial. I managed to explain that when this was built they were heavy with thicker steel cases etc.

If you do that, and ownership of the fridge is tracked down to you, you get prosecuted and fined. The offence is disposing of waste to a non-licenced waste carrier or something like that.

There was an article on R4 the other day about a woman who paid someone advertising on Gumtree to collect and dispose of a wardrobe. They dumped in at the roadside and council officials tracked it down to her. She was fined something phenomenal like £5,000. It's becoming a common problem apparently annd they did a whole investigative news article about it.

its high time they took the vehicles off the sh!ts that do it, plod know who they are.

As for those employing them to get rid of the stuff they cant be arsed to, good, 5K is too little IMHO. The amount of field and woodland entrances that have household/building waste dumped in them is really annoying.

How on earth did they manage to trace it? Did it carry a UWN (Unique Wardrobe Number)?

• Greenie 1

How on earth did they manage to trace it? Did it carry a UWN (Unique Wardrobe Number)?

The dull idiots usually have a bag of rubbish with a letter or similar in with the crap they dump

http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/rushden-woman-fined-more-than-1-000-after-12-sacks-of-fly-tipped-waste-including-dirty-nappies-found-1-7144605

dull idiot Mike is talking about?

Warning, Daily Fail lnk

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3551568/Mother-five-hit-500-fine-criminal-record-man-van-Facebook-fly-tipped-rubbish-leafy-lane.html

Edited by gazza

As for those employing them to get rid of the stuff they cant be arsed to, good, 5K is too little IMHO.

This is, I feel, unduly harsh. We have a medium-sized hatchback car. Let's say that I have a double wardrobe to get rid of. It's too big to fit in the car. I can't carry it on to the 'bus and take it to the council depot (which, in any case, is a good half-mile from any 'bus route). A company advertises in the local free paper that they will remove such bulky goods. Of course I'll consider using their services - I might ask them how they will dispose of it, but I have no way of knowing if their answer will be truthful.

People who don't have cars, or who are not very physically able, would have all the more reason to use such a service. I don't think they should be prosecuted (and indeed persecuted) for the illegal action of the van driver.

Edited by Athy

There was a letter or something in it with an address. They visited the address and the woman quite openly told them it was hers and she'd employed some 'van and van' geezers from Gumtree, and paid them good money to take it away.

She was interviewed on the radio and sounded like she genuinely believed she'd done nothing wrong and had been most unfairly treated. As was the tone of the article.

This is, I feel, unduly harsh. We have a medium-sized hatchback car. Let's say that I have a double wardrobe to get rid of. It's too big to fit in the car. I can't carry it on to the 'bus and take it to the council depot (which, in any case, is a good half-mile from any 'bus rote). A company advertises in the local free paper that they will remove such bulky goods. Of course I'll consider using their services - I might ask them how they will dispose of it, but I have no way of knowing if their answer will be truthful.

People who don't have cars, or who are not very physically able, would have all the more reason to use such a service. I don't think they should be prosecuted (and indeed persecuted) for the illegal action of the van driver.

http://www.west-norfolk.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=25664

all councils run a similar scheme

Most local councils will collect bulky items or fridges, usually for a fee. So if you don't have transport to take it to your local recycling centre, they should be your first point of call.

Perhaps the fee in that case was higher than that charged by the man with a van, making the latter look a better bet.

Yes I think it is the same woman in the Daily Mail article Gazza links to.

For people without a car, getting a pile of random junk to the recycling centre is quite a problem. There is no bus service to either of recycling centres near me. Also, I suspect the bus wouldn't let you on f you were standing at the bus stop with a pile of rubbish like in the picture.

3365A4E700000578-0-image-a-57_1461234472

I suppose the woman could have had a skip delivered...

It's a shame my house is so far away from where you are, otherwise you could dump it in the hedgerow down our lane. We've become quite the alternative dropping off point for all kinds of detritus since the council made entry to the recycling centre/tip somewhat more difficult than most military bases. :(

It's a shame my house is so far away from where you are, otherwise you could dump it in the hedgerow down our lane. We've become quite the alternative dropping off point for all kinds of detritus since the council made entry to the recycling centre/tip somewhat more difficult than most military bases. sad.png

My council have done the same. Vehicles are only admitted if they display a permit in the windscreen which was posted out to every single address entitled to dump there.

They reckon this is to save £100k a year cost for disposal of rubbish from people who weren't entitled to dump there. Now once ALL the councils have done this, net savings will be zero. But a huge new bureaucracy will have been created administering the car windscreen permit system. Madness.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

My council have done the same. Vehicles are only admitted if they display a permit in the windscreen which was posted out to every single address entitled to dump there.

They reckon this is to save £100k a year cost for disposal of rubbish from people who weren't entitled to dump there. Now once ALL the councils have done this, net savings will be zero. But a huge new bureaucracy will have been created administering the car windscreen permit system. Madness.

One of the problems in the early days was that re-cycling centres were few and far between, so for example, our nearest Wiltshire centre was in Warminster, 15 miles away, wheras Bath in another county was only five miles away. Bath were one of the first :ocal Authorities to issue permits to ratepayers to avoid non residents using the centre, but I would have thought it is counter productive these days.

Our local tip won't allow you in as a pedestrian - only with a vehicle. Apparently on grounds of health and safety, which is a complete nonsense, as once you are in the site everybody walks around carrying their stuff to the relevant skip.

A number of years ago I disposed of a sofa at the local tip, which was about three streets away from home. As I didn't have a car I just tied a rope around one of the sofa legs, put the other end over my shoulder and hauled it along the streets, and past the queue of waiting vehicles. No questions asked then!

Surely the same logic here as needle exchanges in the 80s? Thatcher was not a philanthropist - she was interested in saving money!

The option we usually choose is to create sculptures with our trade waste, and then install them in prominent positions on the towpath - that way everyone's a winner!