Bridge collapse

GoodGurl

Featured Posts

It shouldn't affect many on here, it's on the ship canal. Had me worried that it was on one of the Manchester canals, I won't be able to travel east for a good while because of landslip between Todmorden and Hebden Bridge, I can only go west through Manchester.

There's a cargo ship that goes under there about once a fortnight. It collects scrap steel from Eccles. I guess they will need to make alternative arrangements for a while. The new road was supposed to open in August. I suspect the enquiry might not be complete by then.

According to the BBC news just now, it was on test when the deck fell down. It looks like it's a write off now. I haven't seen a stoppage notice yet for the canal.

Somebody will be having a meeting with management, no tea and biscuits. Still, I suppose it was good that it was tested, perhaps not to destruction though.

Only a short distance from yesterday's major faux pas at Man United.

Bill

We are due through from the Weaver to Pomona next month on route to Wigan dry dock

Spoke to MSC early this morning but they have no firm info as yet as to what happened or any time scale to clear/lift the deck (200 ton) or 500 ton depending on source

inspect the damage to the four towers

I think it will be months not weeks so will have to put back blacking etc until the canal reopens as our boat is 12" to wide to pass through the shorter route

Ray

Edited by raymondh

There's a cargo ship that goes under there about once a fortnight. It collects scrap steel from Eccles. I guess they will need to make alternative arrangements for a while. The new road was supposed to open in August. I suspect the enquiry might not be complete by then.

Well, they could always try to collect the bridge as scrap steel.

• Greenie 2

Saw this earlier, and all I can say is 'ouch' if I am honest. The mind boggles as to what when wrong to cause the cables to snap, assuming that is what happened.

I expect as said the enquiry will be months, as will the delay on the project at a whole.

However while not the worlds busiest, as the ship canal is a commertial waterway and I expect the contracts quite sharp, I would expect there will be quite some pressure to get in there and get the fallen deck lifted out of the way. Although 200/500ton will take a fair crane!

Daniel

Saw the 'dash cam footage' of the fall last night.

Looking at the amount of the pillar shook, its staggering to think how much energy was in that.

Appears to start becoming un-level, down on the right, then the left side fails catastrophically dropping the lot.

Daniel

Would you trust those towers if patched up to lift that deck repeatedly Dan? they definitely had a wobble as the deck fell and rubbed them on the way down.

It looked like the front, right one was punched sideways

Richard

• Greenie 1

It looked like the front, right one was punched sideways

Richard

At least one of the images seemed to show a hole punched into the side of one tower with the rebar exposed.

top right image in this montage.

bridge-comp.jpg

• Greenie 1

Thats the one I was looking at too Richard, the damage on the pillar is testament to the forces involved I think Id take the long way round if they didnt replace it.

When the deck tilts over something falls off it into the canal, my first thought was a backhoe but I think its more likely to be a cherry picker, you can see the damage it did to the railings.

Staggering that nobody was hurt. I too saw the DashCam footage and found the reaction of the guys on the gate duty fairly strange!

when the one turns to the lorry coming through and just waves him in... they breed them hard in Manchester.

Thats the one I was looking at too Richard, the damage on the pillar is testament to the forces involved I think Id take the long way round if they didnt replace it.

When the deck tilts over something falls off it into the canal, my first thought was a backhoe but I think its more likely to be a cherry picker, you can see the damage it did to the railings.

If it is repaired rather than replaced I'd be more worried if I was in a boat going under it. For road traffic it will be docked in the lowered position and safe enough.

It is basically the same design as the centenary bridge, a mile or two further up the canal and that has been operating smoothly for years.

post-4988-0-87746800-1463926808_thumb.jpg