Slight smokiness from engine bay.

Featured Posts

I don't use Currys or PC world, sales people too pushy. I liked Comet.

Anyway, to get back to the OP's original point. Slight exhaust leak, annoying but can de addressed soonish, will take a while of observation to check it out. If there is an electrical problem it needs addressing sharpish. Only way to go is prolonged observation and feeling for hotspots or call in a Pro, recipe for £££££. I would be tempted to leave it a few days and see if it is coolant, oil etc burning off but then ask for expert help.

Anyway, to get back to the OP's original point. Slight exhaust leak, annoying but can de addressed soonish, will take a while of observation to check it out.

Try hand holding a pad over the external exhaust outlet with the engine running. This may allow you to hear any 'blowing' from a cracking or hole in the exhaust. The pad will get hot, you'll only hold it on for a second or two as the pressure builds, you'll need two people (one with the pad and one listening in the engine 'ole) and the lagging may make identification difficult. However, it just might help to identify if the exhaust is the problem.

Anyway, to get back to the OP's original point. Slight exhaust leak, annoying but can de addressed soonish, will take a while of observation to check it out. If there is an electrical problem it needs addressing sharpish. Only way to go is prolonged observation and feeling for hotspots or call in a Pro, recipe for £££££. I would be tempted to leave it a few days and see if it is coolant, oil etc burning off but then ask for expert help.

Yes but what would a pro do to find it, that the OP can't?

Hold a fifty pound note near the exhaust to check for soot, and ask for a new one every ten minutes. This is a new boat to the OP, it might be a minor issue now but if he doesn't find out what the problem is soon it might escalate or it could be dangerous.

I would suggest that the smell of the smoke would be highly indicative. Diesel fumes, hot fuel, coolant, oil vapour, hot electrics, scorched insulation, burned PCB, charred wood etc all have a different smell and can be highly indicative, if you know what they smell like.

In terms of probability oil spilled when filling the engine is the most likely cause. Exhaust damage is possible. Checking rubber hoses for witness marks caused by rubbing on things would help - if there's no mark than the hose is probably ok and not leaking. Checking hose couplings for leaks is also worth doing.

Also if you've got access to an IR thermometer then this can help, if you know how to use it and know what the readings are telling you.

Others may have a different opinion.

Well that gives a flash point of around 250C and a self ignition temperature of 750C. so I do not see that as being, I quote, "Highly inflammable" .

On that score diesel is much more readily ignitable and I think few of us would consider that as highly inflammable.

Combustible I would agree with so I will let others decide the suitability of the highly inflammable tag.

Point of order.

If you mean it burns well, the word is "immflammable". Inflammable is the original French version of the same word.

But to save confusion, the modern word "flammable" can be used.

Stuff that does not burn should be called non-flammable.

Edited by jake_crew

I would suggest that the smell of the smoke would be highly indicative. Diesel fumes, hot fuel, coolant, oil vapour, hot electrics, scorched insulation, burned PCB, charred wood etc all have a different smell and can be highly indicative, if you know what they smell like.

Yes, I went into the living room this morning and smelt what I thought was burning electrics (I am an electrical engineer of 40 years standing, so have some experience of this smell).

Checked the TV, then the wifi router, then the hi fi, nothing.

Eventually found it was some lily's that Mrs Hound had bought :)

A general comment - you should have a couple of Carbon Monoxide CO alarms in your boat anyway. But since something inside the hull is burning you really need a CO alarm now!

A fire extinguisher might come in handy too!

We once started to get a very distinct 'fishy' like smell when using our kettle at home.

Strangely it wasn't in the kitchen but in an adjacent room. I traced the likely source to a socket in the living room where the very distinct smell was strongest.

Sure enough the socket was hot to the touch too. Dismantling unearthed a very loose live connection which was burning the cable insulation and presumably creating that very distinct smell. The electrical load elsewhere on the same ring main is what highlighted the problem. It was a strange one because the socket hadn't been disturbed in the 20 odd years since the house was built but the terminal screw was very loose.

I would recognise the smell if it recurred, it was very distinctive.

Soooooo... On my way from Rugby Boats to my home mooring, I set off early on Saturday. the 'engine' started smoking more than before a short while after setting off, so i pulled over and waited until a civilised time to poke my head into the office of a nearby hire boat yard. The nice chap offered to take a look at the problem. As is typical in these situations there was no smoke whatsoever when he was looking, but he said he couldn't see or feel anything wrong with it after running it under load for 10 minutes or so.

As I set off again, about half an hour into the trip the smoke starts again, but not quite as bad again this time.

Skip to Sunday, after journeying for a short while the smoke starts again. I arrive at my home mooring and have another poke around in the engine bay. I noticed a strange noise and a tiny amount of movement from one of the leisure batteries from I'm guessing is some kind of vent, and it feels a lot hotter than the other 3 which are almost cold to touch. I have now disconnected the unhappy battery. I haven't had chance to move the boat again or run it for any length of time to see if it was this causing the smoke, but do you think it's possible if could.

Other posters on the internet suggest a venting battery makes a rotten egg smell. I wouldn't say the smoke from my issue smells like this, although it does give off a slight strange odour.

Any further help or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Edited by discusmaximus

The rotten egg smell is the sulphuric acid dissociating to hydrogen sulphide gas - not normal behaviour for a battery.

A friend of mine had a problem with the "quick defrost" system on his car.

Basically there were 4 glowplugs in a housing on the water pipe going the heater, active only on start up. But the controller went wrong and these were active all the time.

The cars alternator was trying to deliver 120A constantly and gave up the ghost, followed by the battery. After replacing both, he found this problem and just disconnected the quick defrost gizmo.

So I wonder if the knackered battery is giving your alternator, and therefore your engine, a hard time, though alternators only use a horsepower or two so I must say I have my doubts.