Moorings with no facilities

Jrtm

Featured Posts

As tital ill be looking for a mooring within a 30-45 min drive from dunstable. Dont need any facilities just acsess by car even if means parking on side of road near a bridge.

Boat will be 70 foot long most marinas are charging around 1800 for 6 months or around 2500-3500 for a year there are a few 10 year lease ones for 4k.

So im asuming a mooring on the system end of farm field ect would be cheaper any one know of any? Some where just out side braunstone or brinklow would be our limit upwards and hemel way would be our limit south but mk/bedford area would be ideal as we can drive past on way from work 2-3 times a week.

As tital ill be looking for a mooring within a 30-45 min drive from dunstable. Dont need any facilities just acsess by car even if means parking on side of road near a bridge.

Boat will be 70 foot long most marinas are charging around 1800 for 6 months or around 2500-3500 for a year there are a few 10 year lease ones for 4k.

So im asuming a mooring on the system end of farm field ect would be cheaper any one know of any? Some where just out side braunstone or brinklow would be our limit upwards and hemel way would be our limit south but mk/bedford area would be ideal as we can drive past on way from work 2-3 times a week.

Is Napton any good?

Is it a historic boat, by any chance?

Some of the marinas in the Braunston area were offering half price moorings for historics, although I don't know if they still are.

Yes would be historic

Braunstone area is good

I was told two close together marinas were both offering 50% discount on historics.

i think that has to have been Wigram's Turn and Ventnor Farm, as both are under same ownership, I think.

Certainly an historic that used to moor where we do, moved up to tha area because it worked out so much cheaper.

I suggest you ring them and see if the offer still exists, as it means you get a fully serviced marina berth for less money than a non secure tow-path one devoid of any facilities.

The only reason we have not followed it up is that those locations are really further from home than we want to regularly be travelling.

• Greenie 1

try Levis farm at seabrook on GU outside Ivinghoe , I cant remember the actual farm name but they have a sign just before seabrook bridge on the right . It has water but nothing else and access is tricky in the winter unless you have a 4 x 4 but IIRC is reasonable price although it was 10 years ago we had a mooring there , not sure how much spare space they have now but they are advertising on the canalside for moorers

Certainly an historic that used to moor where we do, moved up to tha area because it worked out so much cheaper.

Is that a historic beginning with 'S'?

If it is, then they're not in the marinas you mentioned. Don't want to say where they are just in case I have the wrong boat and I put out the wrong information :)

Try:

http://www.thebrownlow.com/

I believe that the Farm morings are called Vicarage Farm

Tim

Is that a historic beginning with 'S'?

If it is, then they're not in the marinas you mentioned. Don't want to say where they are just in case I have the wrong boat and I put out the wrong information smile.png

No, the one that went into a half price marina didn't begin with an "S", (or even have an "S" in its name anywhere).

It's possible the one you are thinking of has now ended up not a million miles from where a big historic boat show takes place.

Called them no space for 70 foot

I think this is a problem you will face generally.

When I was enquiring for a 71' 6" boat on the GU between Tring summit and Braunston, many said they simply don't take that length, and others that it was highly unlikely that a place would become available.

Will give them a try avecote wanted 1100 which wasnt bad. Better than the 2-3k others were

That's a bargain, but I didn't think you wanted to be anything like that far North, which is why I didn't mention that they also discount for "historics".

At that price, I'm assuming it's an unconverted one?

try Levis farm at seabrook on GU outside Ivinghoe , I cant remember the actual farm name but they have a sign just before seabrook bridge on the right . It has water but nothing else and access is tricky in the winter unless you have a 4 x 4 but IIRC is reasonable price although it was 10 years ago we had a mooring there , not sure how much spare space they have now but they are advertising on the canalside for moorers

They don't have many places at all, but are always advertising despite this. I think 70 feet is highly unlikely, but it can't hurt to ask.

The trick at this one seems to be to just turn up there and ask, where some have been successful. It doesn't seem that phone enquiries get you far.

The problam at all of those is that on the rare occasions a boat moves on, it is unlikely to be a full length one, so will not generate a full length space. So unless they are prepared to shuffle, you are not going to find a 70 foot space.

Many of the more "marina like" places that might offer a 70 foot space will be priced in the £3K to £4K region, unfortunately - that's certainly the kind of ballpark places like Grove Lock were quoting.

Yes i didnt want to be as far as avecote but if im 800 might have to be.

No its not converted (at this time i dont want to say what boat it is wasnt cheap but is a good deal if all goes threw)

Yes 70 foot is proving to be the killer if was 60 i could have found a few.

Ill have a butchers at lunch and call them all.

Many of the more "marina like" places that might offer a 70 foot space will be priced in the £3K to £4K region, unfortunately - that's certainly the kind of ballpark places like Grove Lock were quoting.

£60-76 per week. How does a leisure boater justify, or even afford, this kind of price for their hobby?

It is mad 1 quoted me 6k and i just laughed.

I can u derstand if living on it but when all i want us somewhere to keep it in winter where is fairly close that i can keep an eye on it.

Ventnor farm isnt to bad not far off avecote and its a bit closer which is nice

All others have no space found a nice place on the nene shame would mean i need 2 licances or a joint gold one and that then makes it more expencive than ventnor farm cheaper to get a gold licance than 2 at 6 months.

No, the one that went into a half price marina didn't begin with an "S", (or even have an "S" in its name anywhere).

It's possible the one you are thinking of has now ended up not a million miles from where a big historic boat show takes place.

That's the one. I just wondered if reduced costs was the reason for a few more historics knocking about the marina, obviously not :)

That's the one. I just wondered if reduced costs was the reason for a few more historics knocking about the marina, obviously not smile.png

I think it's more likely due to the meteoric rise in the price of on line moorings while marina prices have stagnated.

I'm sure six or seven years ago a 70ft on line BW mooring could be had for under a grand. Now they seem to be closer to £3k, if you can find one.