stratford canal dimensions

Featured Posts

hi boaters, I am planning a trip this summer and considering cruising the stratford canal. my narrowboat "Alkali" is an old lady (1895 bantock) and has spread her girth to 7'2" at the waterline. I have travelled the length of this canal 3 times, all over 20years ago. 1 trip was ok, twice on the other trips I had to be pulled through different locks after becoming jammed. I was told that this was due to the lock walls having deteriorated and slumped over time.

my question is, am I likely to experience the same problems now or has repair work since my last visit made the passage now trouble free?

I know that many narrow canals are nominally 7' but this canal and Llangollen are the only ones on which I have experienced this problem. post-23394-0-52946300-1459950130_thumb.jpg please advise

Edited by landlordharry

Can't help with dimensions, having only gone this way in a slimline modern boat, but be aware that locks aren't your only problem: the towpathless bridges on the South Stratford with slots for the tow-rope are also potential pinch points.

In the unlikely event that you don't get go info here, contact the HNBC, who I'm sure will know available widths to the millimetre.

MP.

Southern Stratford has to be about the narrowest canal I know, the bridge holes really feel tight in 6ft 10inch, it could be very tight in 7ft2" ...... that is just my perception, I suppose if the bridge holes were 7ft2in it would still seem pretty tight in a modern boat with only two inches each side.

hi boaters, I am planning a trip this summer and considering cruising the stratford canal. my narrowboat "Alkali" is an old lady (1895 bantock) and has spread her girth to 7'2" at the waterline. I have travelled the length of this canal 3 times, all over 20years ago. 1 trip was ok, twice on the other trips I had to be pulled through different locks after becoming jammed. I was told that this was due to the lock walls having deteriorated and slumped over time.

my question is, am I likely to experience the same problems now or has repair work since my last visit made the passage now trouble free?

I know that many narrow canals are nominally 7' but this canal and Llangollen are the only ones on which I have experienced this problem. attachicon.gifboat trent lock edit 2.jpg please advise

When we last did the S. Stratford in Fulbourne, Reputedly 7' 1/2", we got well stuck in the last lock before Bancroft Basin.

I believe that much work has been done to the narrow bridge holes in the last few years to alleiviate the problem.

On Thursday I am going to a talk on the Stratford Canal at the London Canal Museum by Clive Henderson, will ask then.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

I thoughe 2 of the locks on the Wilmncote flight were the narrowest, and certainly with our boat which I take to be 6'10" you cannot see any visible space at either side, so it is not very much wider at all. My guess is that 7'2" would be very tight, if not possible, and I think you need to be certain that it is going to fit before trying. That said a couple of year ago after the river festival we did follow and ex working boat up Wilmncote, and he had no problem.

The other thing on the South Stratford is that the single bottom gates tend to collect cr*p behind then and don't quite open properly, I have twice had to help drag boats out that have got stuck coming out of the bottom gates because of this.

I recall that Chertsey (late of this forum) and like Fulbourne a Large Woolwich, also had problems getting to Stratford a few years back. But other historic boats have had few issues. So it may depend on where your boat bulges and by how much.

We have taken Swift and Scorpio to Stratford over the last few years but there are tight spots and have had to call out CRT assistance for one of the locks, which I think was on the Wilmcote, being open hold we are able to wind the chains in a bit to squeeze some extra in. Both boats are around the 7' 1" although not been accurately measured.

Tim and Pru were saying (several times) that the S Stratford was paticulary narrow because the original canal builders were so short of money.

It is not that which is really the problem. What they were referrring too was the bridges, which whilst narrow are not so narrow as to restrict passage by a narrowboat that is a bit over 7 foot wide. The issue is more the locks that were restored on the cheap in the 1960's, with concrete in some cases. If I am remembering correctly that is the issue with the 2 at Wilmncote.

• 2 weeks later...

It's easier if you are not full length we got fenny through last year. It's also easier uphill than down because the locks are tight at the bottom.... But some bridges are narrow high up. ( town class bows) causing issues. It's fine as far as wet and warm anyway, but below that the fun starts. Our gunnels looked like stainless steel after a trip through.... But we never needed other than an odd second flush . Volunteers good if you lay down the rules to them.. Do nothing unless I tell you....