Leicester Ring,,,What's it Like ?

Badger

Featured Posts

Hi...after 15 years owning our narrowboat we will at last be venturing on to the canal system for the first time. Up to now, we have always been based (and cruised) river navigations. We are thinking of doing the Leicester ring and were looking for any tips, advice etc.

Is there a recognised direction that is favoured to do the circuit ?. Are there many laundry facilities along the way ?. Is the ring mostly rural, that is what we are hoping...After that thought we might try the South Oxford before heading home to the river Nene. Any info would bee much appreciated.

Badger

WE did it anti-clockwise a couple of years ago, and it's a lovely ring. It is very rural, with the only urban section being through Leicester, and short sections of the Coventry through Nuneaton, Tamworth etc. It's worth doing Market Harborough and Welton sections and the Ashby Canal as well if you have time.

I'm sorry I can't comment on the laundry facilities as we have a washing machine on board.

Its probably my favourite ring. Plenty of Tunnels, Broad locks and narrow locks, Rivers and Canals, Rural and towns, Plenty of Canal history.

yep, its got everythingcheers.gif

That's good to hear, that's going to be our next long trip, probably in July. (Hoping to do the Ashby Canal before that). Any recommendations as to clockwise/ anti-clockwise?

OK...great comments, sounds lovely. We are really looking forward to it. Leaving Peterborough mid June, probably do the South Oxford first. Southern Star...may meet up with you somewhere on the ring in July. Hope to be out for six weeks or so. Thanks for the info on the laundry facility also.

Badger

We've done it twice now and find from Mercia it's better clockwise as it gets the broad and heavy locks on the soar out the way early. Although we do love the river sections.

Another vote for Harbourgh and welford arms.

Totally different but each charming in their own way.

That's good to hear, that's going to be our next long trip, probably in July. (Hoping to do the Ashby Canal before that). Any recommendations as to clockwise/ anti-clockwise?

Anti was the recommendation from here when we did it and it worked for us. We were two up and fairly inexperienced at the time. We were pretty much on our own most of the time in the broad locks and going down was just that bit easier.

I'd agree with anti clockwise. There's a laundrette near loughborough basin, in the rushes, "town tub", near wilkos. Loughborough basin is pretty dismal to moor in, Has all facilities, but better to moor on the stretch before the junction, where the towpath is wide and grassy.

Thanks for posting everyone.

Thinking of trying the Leicester Ring in middle of April. Are there any possible obstacles (rivers too high, not enough water, etc?)

Are folks finding that 14 days seems about right?

Thanks!

P

We did it in April but had very good dry weather so no real problems with levels. Weather affecting it though can come at any time of the year.

We found it an easy to do ring in two weeks. We met a boat coming the other way that claimed they were on target to do it in a week.

Take your time and enjoy it. The soar in particular, is a lovely river, just keep your eye on the lock boards. You will also come across red/green lights on a couple of locks. In theory flood locks should be open, though we went through a closed one last sunday, so they are late opening them up this year. There are regular canalised sections to moor safely though, should the levels start to rise.

I recommend you aim to moor in Barrow upon soar on a thursday, and go to the Soar Bridge Inn for pie night! Best home made pie selection going, friendly proper pub. (Other pubs are available! !)

We did it in April but had very good dry weather so no real problems with levels. Weather affecting it though can come at any time of the year.

We found it an easy to do ring in two weeks. We met a boat coming the other way that claimed they were on target to do it in a week.

really is possible in a week but since you have longer just enjoy. plenty of side diversions, Welford, Harborough arms. pop up to Napton, onto Ashby etc.

rivers can definitely be an issue, we've had plenty of rain already so can rise quickly.

only other issue is to plan to arrive at Watford and Foxton with plenty of time before locks shut. We've had issues when forced to stop very early in the day-if there's a lot of boats lockies make you wait till next day even if you arrive well before the last entry to locks. and then insist you book in with them again in the morning before they'll open them for you.

Oh and do enjoy top pound between Foxton and Watford. very pretty, mostly remote and years ago we saw more kingfishers there than ever before or since.

The only constraining locks now are the Foxton flight, Watford is now operated with keepers in the daytime, and left unlocked for passage out of hours.

oh thanks for that update matty. that's much better.

I should get out more instead of pontificating on the forum!

Blimey, is that right about Watford being open for DIY operation? Can't find any mention of it on the CaRT site (although it does say "manned" hours), but not suggesting you're wrong.

I can imagine it being a recipe for disaster.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/6659/watford-locks-summer-opening-times-2016-leicester-line-grand-union-canal

Blimey, is that right about Watford being open for DIY operation? Can't find any mention of it on the CaRT site (although it does say "manned" hours), but not suggesting you're wrong.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/6659/watford-locks-summer-opening-times-2016-leicester-line-grand-union-canal

it worked well enough years ago. any hire boats out of market Harborough will already have encountered Foxton. The method of operation is stated on boards to remind folk (I think). on the Leeds and Liverpool the 3 staircase isn't (or wasn't) always manned and at bascote and the entrance to the caldon where there are staircases of 2 locks I've never seen a lockie.

It started last spring as a trial when they were short of staff to turn up at all for a small period.

It did help me do both flights in a day several times - something which previously you could only do in Summer opening hours.

It looks like there hasn't been too many issues.

Thank you all for your responses. Looks like we are in for a fabulous trip. Being a river boater we are looking forward to doing some narrow locks for the first time. Seems we should be OK for laundrettes. Apart from the BW/CRT key...is there any other hardware we would need ?.

Badger

No, locks are all standard gear. CRT key needed for Castle Gardens Moorings in the centre of Leicester, and then some of the locks from centre of Leicester to Kilby Bridge.

The Castle Gardens is locked at dusk by the council. There is a small gate in the Northern railings which you can get in and out of using your key.