Mooring opportunities Tardebigge flight?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Looks like we'll be arriving at Tardebigge top lock around 3pm which is a bit early to stop. Are there any mooring possibilities mid-flight or are we committed to getting to Stoke? Not sure how long the flight takes, we only did it once, years ago, and it's the only time Jeff has ever thrown his windless down and refused to do any more locks (that was coming up from Worcester in a oner). Obviously one can moor in the long pound below the top lock, but how about further down?

Looks like we'll be arriving at Tardebigge top lock around 3pm which is a bit early to stop. Are there any mooring possibilities mid-flight or are we committed to getting to Stoke? Not sure how long the flight takes, we only did it once, years ago, and it's the only time Jeff has ever thrown his windless down and refused to do any more locks (that was coming up from Worcester in a oner). Obviously one can moor in the long pound below the top lock, but how about further down?

Very limited Nick. There is the odd spot but the pounds are generally very short. The Tardebigge flight is technically the upper 30 locks nos. 29 - 58 and the Stoke flight is 23 - 28 but in reality there is only about 300m separating Tardebigge bottom and Stoke top locks. However in that space is the Queens Head visitor moorings which as the name suggests are opposite the Queens Head pub. Book ahead if you wish to eat there as it is unfathomably popular.

We arrived at Tardebigge top lock at 1430 on Friday and could have moored at Queens Head at 1730 but they had no tables available so ended up at Boat and Railway at Stoke Works which is beyond the Stoke locks. You can also moor opposite the Black Prince yard above Stoke bottom lock (no. 23) but the Navigation Inn which is nearby is closed down.

With two of you four hours should be possible for the Tardebigge flight itself as long as you keep going. They are quick to fill and empty and the bottom gate paddles are easy to wind. The top ground paddles less so if you have to fill them.

Jon

Edited by Captain Pegg

Not really possible because of the short pounds. Mooring above or below the top lock is fine. I think you would be pushed to get to the bottom before dark, particularly if Jeff's not keen!

Providing they keep going steadily it won't be a problem to reach Queens Head moorings before dark. That's ten minutes a lock which is easy at Tardebigge. The alternative is to start off tomorrow with 41 or 42 locks immediately ahead.

JP

Thanks everyone. There's 4 of us but 2 are over 70 (in laws) and of course we have the extra hour's daylight so we'll probably go for it and have a slow day tomorrow (looks like rain).

My bet is you will be at the bottom quicker than you think. Still hard work though!

Enjoy.

JP

If you're definitely there by 3pm then there should be no issues getting down the 30 or so locks to the Queen's Head by 7pm. We did it the other way round - going up - and chose to stop there. In fact we were worried about not getting a space so arrived there about 11am and stayed half a day, then did Tardebigge from 8am-12pm approx and continued on to Birmingham city centre (we did plan to moor beforehand, but just kept going.

The only issue will be if its full at the pub - I know there's moorings on the pub side, I'd suggest booking a table then taking advantage of their moorings - when we were there a boater stopped here but was moved on because he wasn't using the pub, so its likely to be available (unless loads of boaters also decide to have a meal and moor that side).

However in that space is the Queens Head visitor moorings which as the name suggests are opposite the Queens Head pub. Book ahead if you wish to eat there as it is unfathomably popular.

It's run by the 'Lovely Pubs' chain, same as t'Boot at Lapworth.

We moored by there last week but moved RW further towards the lock due to the piped music played in the beer garden.

The place was wedged, noisy and had spoilt brat kids running about. I was also subjected to withering looks from a pair of snooty, orange women. I reckon they thought I was insufficiently beautiful to have been be allowed in.

I won't be going back in a hurry (!)

The Boat & Railway was much more friendly.

ETA And I couldn't get their WiFi to work. Can you tell I didn't like the place ? laugh.png

Edited by Victor Vectis

We moored by there last week but moved RW further towards the lock due to the piped music played in the beer garden.

The place was wedged, noisy and had spoilt brat kids running about. I was also subjected to withering looks from a pair of snooty, orange women. I reckon they thought I was insufficiently beautiful to have been be allowed in.

It does seem almost obligatory to arrive in a black Range Rover or X5 at the Queens Head. I can't really work out why it's so popular or where the people come from; I suspect Redditch.

I chose the Navigation Inn at Lapworth over The Boot last Wednesday and had a truly excellent meal. Seems like I made a good call.

The Boat and Railway is a proper pub in the middle of a community. A Marston's pub but a drinking one ahead of a dining one and was full of locals and boaters on Friday night.

JP

ETA And I couldn't get their WiFi to work. Can you tell I didn't like the place ? :lol:

Yes I get the picture. We were in the Boot not long ago so I know what you mean, they are pubs only for beautiful people. But of course since we ARE beautiful people we'll be right in there!

Yes I get the picture. We were in the Boot not long ago so I know what you mean, they are pubs only for beautiful people. But of course since we ARE beautiful people we'll be right in there!

You could put up your own 'No Mooring for non-SM Hudson Boats' sign on their mooring. ?

Edited by Captain Pegg

Overnight 30 locks down is fine - there is a pub (I know 30 is a lot but it's only a couple of hours!)

That's the notional gap between the Tardebigge Flight and the Stoke Flight BTW

30 locks in a couple of hours! That's 4 minutes per lock plus time moving beween ! Is it still April 1st.?

Currently running at just over 4 mins per lock. 30 locks in about 1.5 miles so not much travelling time.

Edit 3:35 for that one but whether the in-laws can keep up the pace is another matter!

Edited by nicknorman

It's your chance to try strapping in-

Lovely round strapping posts on the gates, and it speeds things up nicely.

You can also use a shaft to shut the bottom gates, it naturally falls into the grooves in the stonework worn by previous generations doing the same thing.

Curses, slow hire boat coming up kills our average speed but we were doing sub-4 mins from lock exit to lock exit.

It's your chance to try strapping in-

Lovely round strapping posts on the gates, and it speeds things up nicely.

You can also use a shaft to shut the bottom gates, it naturally falls into the grooves in the stonework worn by previous generations doing the same thing.

Tried that but it's too slow. I come into the lock at 3mph, hit reverse with the appropriate amount of revs, jump off at the lock throat and close the gate, Jeff opens bottom paddles just as the gate is closed, I jump back on the boat just as it becomes stationary mid lock (if I've judged the reverse revs right. Strapping in might be a better option for a full lengther.

The in-laws are for closing the bottom gates.

Edited by nicknorman

30 locks in a couple of hours! That's 4 minutes per lock plus time moving beween ! Is it still April 1st.?

They're very quick locks, and if you've got extra crew to set ahead, you can make sure that the boat is always moving -- either horizontally or vertically.

Even with just two people, it can be pretty quick. When we did Tardebigge last September, we did the first ten in 70 minutes, the second ten in 65 minutes -- and then caught up with a boat in front, so the final ten took 75 minutes.

Watch the depth by the Queens Head, quite often that pound is short of water and it's not uncommon to see boats listing on the visitor moorings.

No chance for us then! Mind you there is a lot of water coming down. Whose idea was it to put the bywash exit right at the lock throat?! I can imagine lots of crashery from hire boats trying to enter at 0.1 mph coming up and getting their bows pushed sideways!

Anyway just exiting bottom lock now so it's been 2:35 for 30 locks which I think is no bad considering the average age of the crew. 1/2 the flight with us , 1/2 flight against us. 1st pound is of course quite long.