21.5" 12v HD / Freeview / DVD Player / TV (Aldi 'special')

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

I have something similar to this on my boat as I prefer to have things DC powered, as far as possible. Freeview/DVD, etc all great and an HDMI input if you have an external player.

The only thing I would point out is that the speakers on the TV are likely to be awful. The ones on mine are, so I use the headphone output from the TV as an input to the AUX channel of my (car) radio/CD player and play the TV sound through it's speakers, which works fine.

Also low wattage kettles

Not sure how that works unless you have undersized iring or an undersized inverter for the load. It takes a given amount of energy to raise the temperature of a given amount of water through a given number of degrees so a low wattage kettle will take long and one could argue the longer time will involve greater thermal losses so may use more electricity to do the same job as a higher wattage kettle. But I am sure you know this so must be for poor cabing or lack of power reasons.

NilesMI, on 10 Mar 2016 - 12:08 PM, said:

I have something similar to this on my boat as I prefer to have things DC powered, as far as possible. Freeview/DVD, etc all great and an HDMI input if you have an external player.

The only thing I would point out is that the speakers on the TV are likely to be awful. The ones on mine are, so I use the headphone output from the TV as an input to the AUX channel of my (car) radio/CD player and play the TV sound through it's speakers, which works fine.

Echo that - but my cable run was 'so long' - well only about 4m of screened cable that the output was "zizzy", so I abandoned it.

I've heard lots about soundbars and always dismissed them as being a bit of a gimmick - but they do work and don't take much power either. You can get them from time to time from Curry's eBay shop for around 40 quid - and that's good value. (?)

Not sure how that works unless you have undersized iring or an undersized inverter for the load. It takes a given amount of energy to raise the temperature of a given amount of water through a given number of degrees so a low wattage kettle will take long and one could argue the longer time will involve greater thermal losses so may use more electricity to do the same job as a higher wattage kettle. But I am sure you know this so must be for poor cabing or lack of power reasons.

I have a 1500 watt inverter

• 2 weeks later...

Echo that - but my cable run was 'so long' - well only about 4m of screened cable that the output was "zizzy", so I abandoned it.

I've heard lots about soundbars and always dismissed them as being a bit of a gimmick - but they do work and don't take much power either. You can get them from time to time from Curry's eBay shop for around 40 quid - and that's good value. (?)

Can recommend sound bars. Just bought an ex demo one, mint condition £60 from ebay. £120 from Currys. JVc one, smaller than the standard ones with a bluetooth sub woofer so quite handy for a boat

Just bought one of these,great picture and the sounds not bad too.seems like a real bargain.

Got one as well, only had a brief test with a new aerial and a dvd but the picture and sound seemed fine to me.

Edit: You don't look at sound.blink.png

Edited by SNAFU

Also bought one, superb picture quality, sound OK especially if set in movie mode although the sound is not so good with the dvd. All in all good value for money and with a 3 year warranty.