Red and yellow boards on the K&A

MtB

Featured Posts

It seems CRT are copying the EA now with 'strong stream' warnings at locks. Here's the one at Kintbury:

post-62-0-58027100-1455550095_thumb.jpgpost-62-0-47934100-1455550108_thumb.jpg

All seems a bit daft because the "Strong Stream" being warned about was anything but strong. (I'd been down for a look before it got dark.)

All a bit hysterical in my opinion. Also a nuisance because the sleeves are padlocked in place over the handles on the balance beams, making opening the gates more difficult. Maybe that's the point, to discourage peeps from navigating when there is even a slight flow on.

I'm wondering if these are appearing on the southern Oxford too on the two short sections where the river Cherwell forms the channel.

Of late they appear to do a blanket stoppage or warning from Kintbury through to Blakes lock, whilst I thought it used to be Newbury to Blakes?.

I regard Newbury as the first real navigational trauma. Its rare to get any huge flow through through Kintbury as that bit of the many Kennet channels appears to the last to get opened up......or have things changed of late and are EA sending more water that way? I have only seen Kintbury flowing hard twice in maybe 8 years.

I know the bit below Copse lock can also flow hard but going downstream its a straight run into the long lock cut so its not in the same league as Newbury, Woolhampton and Reading on the fear scale.

...............Dave

As far as I know the signs are the work of the K&A Trust not C&RT.

I suppose it is the usual thing put them on locks where there is a current either just before or just after, then "Elf & Safety" takes over.

If you put them on some locks and not others and there is an accident are you liable?

Ken

I've only been up the Kennet once, but it was quite hard going. It was about a week after some flooding in April 2013 so the river was still in spate. I met MtB in Reading and I think we went up to look at County lock in flood, or perhaps I'm imagining that bit and I went there by myself?

Anyway, I'd just come off the Thames which was on red and yellow boards but I found the Kennet much more difficult - less margin for error! I really got knocked around at Woolhampton. I probably just wasn't used to it, but there were a couple of places with fallen trees where I was literally having to to slalom between them. My biggest fear was something coming the other way.

Is this one Fobney lock?

utf-8BUmVhZGluZy0yMDEzMDQxOC0wMDIwMS5qcG

Edit: I know some of you will say this is nothing, and going upstream was fine - it just took some getting used to after the Thames, but personally I wouldn't want to take my boat downstream in these conditions because if something was coming the other way on some of those narrow sections it could end up badly.

Edited by blackrose

Apart from anything else if heading upstream and she is properly high and angry you ain't getting out of county lock even if you can punch the Oracle as it will be coming over the top gates

Another physical barrier is the bridge hole at Burghfield

Plenty of boats rush off the Thames on reds or yellows a aware of how problematic the Kennet can be

Calcot bends if a boat is coming down is another squeaky bum moment

Edited by JV44

I've not seen Burgfield bridge in full flow but note it is often one of the first warnings CaRT give out.

Is it a cross flow above the bridge that makes it bad, or is it a wall of water that has to be climbed (Wallingford style)???

Those bends present a major problem heading downstream in a full length boat even with no other boats in sight.

When it goes wrong that bush thing is very prickly!

..............Dave

I've never understood the problem with Burgfield bridge either. The river splits and flows either side of the island immediately before the bridge so not all the flow passes under the navigation arch.

Must go down and have a look while there is a bit of current.

I've never understood the problem with Burgfield bridge either. The river splits and flows either side of the island immediately before the bridge so not all the flow passes under the navigation arch.

Must go down and have a look while there is a bit of current.

When the Kennet is flowing strongly I've seen narrow boats come to a standstill when trying to pass through Burghfield Bridge.

Although the river is carried through three arches, it has to be borne in mind that above the bridge the river is 8 feet or more deep and about 45 feet wide. The bridges are ( at a guess ) around 4 feet deep and their combined width about 35 feet.

Keith

When the Kennet is flowing strongly I've seen narrow boats come to a standstill when trying to pass through Burghfield Bridge.

Although the river is carried through three arches, it has to be borne in mind that above the bridge the river is 8 feet or more deep and about 45 feet wide. The bridges are ( at a guess ) around 4 feet deep and their combined width about 35 feet.

Keith

I see, thanks!

Even so, coming to a standstill under a bridge hardly constitutes a serious danger.

I'd say under similar flow conditions the cross stream coming out of the lock at Woolhampton is an order of magnitude more dangerous.

I see, thanks!

Even so, coming to a standstill under a bridge hardly constitutes a serious danger.

I'd say under similar flow conditions the cross stream coming out of the lock at Woolhampton is an order of magnitude more dangerous.

I suspect its like going up through Newbury in full flow, not particularly difficult, but just cant be done!

Though having to give up and go backwards on a full flow is never a good thing.

...............Dave

Mike I didn't mean it was dangerous just that it is impassable

Watched it loads of times since being on the island they give it full throttle and take a run up then it's like hitting an invisible tractor beam lol

It don't look that bad but as said just to narrow a opening when she is flowing hard

Agreed.

Keith

Keith hope you and Maria are well and look forward to seeing you on the river this summer