Canal Apps?

GreenDuck

Featured Posts

Are there any google maps style canal apps where they show local shops and pin point your location so I can keep CRT happy in regards to my movement?

I've had a look on the App Store and found unless I want to live on the canal du midi I'm out of luck so far!

Are there any google maps style canal apps where they show local shops and pin point your location so I can keep CRT happy in regards to my movement?

I've had a look on the App Store and found unless I want to live on the canal du midi I'm out of luck so far!

How does knowing where the shops are keep C&RT happy ?

How does knowing your location keep C&RT happy ?

How many locations and what distance between them do you believe will keep C&RT happy ?

How does knowing where the shops are keep C&RT happy ?

How does knowing your location keep C&RT happy ?

How many locations and what distance between them do you believe will keep C&RT happy ?

You must be seriously bored of life man did you not see the word "and"

e-canal maps?

http://www.canalmap.info/

Thanks that's the one I couldn't find? Edited by GreenDuck

I use Water explorer to keep a record of where i am, it keeps a log of miles, Locks and time of travel for any given time!

I have logs of my three years of travel whilst being on board Largo, ok, you have to buy a GPS Sensor and be on the internet, but it works for a guy that is to lazy the write a log!

I also have the Cruising Log app from Android for my phone, just as a back up in case CART question Wter Explorer!

Paranoid, Me? Na! It's doable on Largo, so why not!

http://www.waterexplorer.co.uk/ and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gpslogs.cruisinglog

Mind you, if we all had Water Explorer, what would some chat and argue about on the forum! icecream.gif

Nipper

Edited by nipper

It doesn't' say what you think it says, try reading it without taking a breath.

Punctuation is important as it can alter the meaning.

It was clear enough to get an exact reply from the person before you!

Have a day off for crying out loud!!

I am Paul (from Waterway Routes) responding to the initial question. My maps are preferred by the previous post too.

I produce waterway maps for use with phone Apps (Android and iPhone/iPad) and windows computers. You can experiment with the FREE Droitwich Canals Map, then just buy the waterway(s) you need. Monthly updates keep the maps up to date. Also available in Acrobat(pdf) format.

All the maps for restoration projects are free too, to help support their efforts.

I am Paul (from Waterway Routes) responding to the initial question. My maps are preferred by the previous post too.

I produce waterway maps for use with phone Apps (Android and iPhone/iPad) and windows computers. You can experiment with the FREE Droitwich Canals Map, then just buy the waterway(s) you need. Monthly updates keep the maps up to date. Also available in Acrobat(pdf) format.

All the maps for restoration projects are free too, to help support their efforts.

Thanks Paul, do your maps work in real time so I can pin point exactly where I am on what's around my location?

Try Google Maps.

Did that hence why I'm looking for something aimed at boaters!

It shows local businesses better than any other app and can pin point your position which is what you asked for. What canal related feature do you want?? If your looking for canal landmarks like bridge numbers then http://canalplan.org.uk can use your current location.

Edited by Robbo

It shows local businesses better than any other app and can pin point your position which is what you asked for. What canal related feature do you want?? If your looking for canal landmarks like bridge numbers then http://canalplan.org.uk can use your current location.

google maps fifty percent of the time fails to find my location,it dose not have logging,or lock locations and is not an all in one neat doll outline but I will have a fresh look at it thank you.

thats interesting Paul any ideas how I get it to show my location, do I need to sign in or something?

I opened that link in the Google Maps app on my android phone- it shows your position then. If you want to prove your locations travelled you could activate 'GPS tag' on your phones camera -it will give a location,time and date then. Of course if you dont use a smart phone not alot of help! Edited by PaulJ

Canalplan can also track your location using Backitude - it records your current location :

http://canalplan.org.uk/boats/tracking.php?current=92041

and overnights are identified and shown on a map when you log a journey.

Edited by StephenA

Thanks Paul, do your maps work in real time so I can pin point exactly where I am on what's around my location?

I am Paul (from Waterway Routes) responding to the question

Yes, my maps will track in real-time on GPS enabled phones and tablets (Android and iPhone/iPad) and you can record and save a track of your movements each day.

You don't even need a SIM card as it's all stored on the phone (just a data connection like WiFi to download the App and the Map in the first place) so you can use almost any old phone.

It will also track in real time on Windows Computers and Laptops with a USB dongle to pick up the GPS signal.

Never be surprised when a lock comes round the corner. Your crew will know whether to reach for the kettle or the windlass.

More information about map formats and tracking on my website. It's easy to experiment with the free maps for restoration projects.

Canalplan can also track your location using Backitude - it records your current location :

http://canalplan.org.uk/boats/tracking.php?current=92041

and overnights are identified and shown on a map when you log a journey.

Can you give more information on how this feature works in canalplan? I've read about it before but never really understood how it works and would be a really useful feature to use.

Thanks

Tom

Something I've just discovered while reading through Canal Boating Times paper is a full advert by CRT advertising a free app called "Places to Visit" so I downloaded the app as in the advert it shows people walking along a canal with a canal boat in shot!

Guess what, the app is not for boaters!

Can you give more information on how this feature works in canalplan? I've read about it before but never really understood how it works and would be a really useful feature to use.

Thanks

Tom

If you've not installed Backitude then install it from the Android App Store

You need to have a canalplan account for this to work

1. From your Android Device login to Canalplan on the website
  2. Then find your boat from the boat index
  3. "Like" your boat
  4. Then go the Manage Track Settings
  5. Select your boat and if you want public or private tracking (private means only you can see it)
  6. Then down load the backitude settings

You can do steps 2 to 5 from a browser but you need to download the Backitude config on your android device. If you can't do that then you can download the config on your regular browser but then you'll need to get the config file onto your android device.

Then before you start cruising enable the Backitude service in the Backitude app. Don't forget to stop it at the end of each day (to save polling) or if you you walk away from the boat (you might get some odd tracks when you do that).