Should marina moorers need licences?

Delta9

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

The level of ignorance in this post is staggering.

As I said to you by message, kindly educate me. I may not have the right terminology but I'm rarely wrong in concept although I would be happy to be shown the error of my judgement. 

Quite simply, am I the only ignorant individual who questions the legitimacy of statutory regulations being transferred to private bodies? 

Am I the only ignorant person who recognises that charity in its linguistic meaning is wholly different from what many modern day "registered charities" do?

Some of the biggest businesses in Britain are charities. Charity is an act of goodwill for the benefit of others without asking for any return.

Forgive my skeptical nature but when someone talks of taxing individuals hundreds if not thousands of pounds every year when they have already paid to keep their boats on private domains off the CRT system I find it very difficult to see the element of charity in it.

• Unimpressed 1

7 minutes ago, jon.h said:

Am I the only ignorant person who recognises that charity in its linguistic meaning is wholly different from what many modern day "registered charities" do?

I suspect somebody will correct me on the correct terminology but CRT isn't a charity.   Well not a charity in the conventional sense, I think the correct term is something along the lines of  "Company with charitable status".

• Greenie 1

I suggest you spend some time researching charity law and the legal basis of the transfer of the statutory functions of British Waterways to the Canal & River Trust. On your point about boat licences in marinas you are correct in saying CRT cannot take action against boaters inside marinas for not having a licence. However if the marina has a NAA (or in most cases an earlier connection agreement) they can take action against the marina owner for breach of contract for permitting boats to moor in the marina if their boat isn't licenced.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I suspect somebody will correct me on the correct terminology but CRT isn't a charity.   Well not a charity in the conventional sense, I think the correct term is something along the lines of  "Company with charitable status".

So please tell us what a 'charity in the conventional sense' is then.

5 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

I suggest you spend some time researching charity law and the legal basis of the transfer of the statutory functions of British Waterways to the Canal & River Trust. On your point about boat licences in marinas you are correct in saying CRT cannot take action against boaters inside marinas for not having a licence. However if the marina has a NAA (or in most cases an earlier connection agreement) they can take action against the marina owner for breach of contract for permitting boats to moor in the marina if their boat isn't licenced.

Exactly this, it’s all about contract law. Nothing to do with charities or limited companies, just contracts freely entered into.

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

This is a welcome step forward from your previous post in which you spoke crushingly to Jon without addressing any of his points.

For some reason, on my screen your previous post was no. 579 and this one quoted above is no. 577. I have no idea why; perhaps my level of ignorance regarding the workings of I.T. is staggering.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

This is a welcome step forward from your previous post in which you spoke crushingly to Jon without addressing any of his points.

For some reason, on my screen your previous post was no. 579 and this one quoted above is no. 577. I have no idea why; perhaps my level of ignorance regarding the workings of I.T. is staggering.

Sometimes one has to call a spade a f****ng shovel, as my late mum loved to say.

20 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

Why do you have to be so rude in the way your write? It really is quite unfortunate. I don't know if sarcasm and slinging about horrible labels makes you somehow feel superior but in my book how someone conducts themselves with what knowledge they have is 9/10ths of its value.

I admit I am a newbie to boating and maybe I am rocking the boat a little but I do find it quite unfortunate that I can't question it from a legal standpoint without being labelled "ignorant". Also ironically after labelling me ignorant you also admitted that boat owners can't be prosecuted for keeping their boats in private marine's without a licence. It also makes me wonder what contracts the poor marina owners have signed and whether everyone has signed them and what legal requirement they had to do so in the first place. Ignorance around the rights of private individuals and small organisations is often common.

Edited by jon.h

18 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

Organisations which collect money and then spend it on "good works" be it providing clean water for people in underdeveloped countries, protecting donkeys, cancer research etc (just a few which I see regularly advertised on TV).

3 minutes ago, jon.h said:

Why do you have to be so rude in the way your write? It really is quite unfortunate. I don't know if sarcasm and slinging about horrible labels makes you somehow feel superior but in my book how someone conducts themselves with what knowledge they have is 9/10ths of its value.

I did say please. I disagree with your last comment. If a statement it is wrong it has little real value however politely expressed.

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Organisations which collect money and then spend it on "good works" be it providing clean water for people in underdeveloped countries, protecting donkeys, cancer research etc (just a few which I see regularly advertised on TV).

A very common misconception. Many organisations of the type you describe are also private companies. CRT is a registered charity as can be verified by the Charities Commission.

14 minutes ago, jon.h said:

I admit I am a newbie to boating and maybe I am rocking the boat a little

I wouldn't say you were rocking the boat, more like smashing your head against a brick wall.

Unless you are prepared to take cart to court you wont get anywhere,

And if you do take them to court you better have deep pockets and be prepared to lose all you have as it will cost.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

A very common misconception. Many organisations of the type you describe are also private companies. CRT is a registered charity as can be verified by the Charities Commission.

Where did I say they weren't private companies,    Some are some may even be companies with charitable status but I never mentioned the fact they were or weren't.

Do make sure you reply to what was written all I did was define what is conventionally seen as a charity.

I shouldn't butt in, however

the issue of licences and who should pay them is governed by the NAA.

Simply in order to connect to the canal system the marina operator contracts with CRT that all boats within the marina are liable and pay the appropriate licence fee (with the threat that CRT will block the connection if they don't

Seemples

fertig

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I wouldn't say you were rocking the boat, more like smashing your head against a brick wall.

Unless you are prepared to take cart to court you wont get anywhere,

And if you do take them to court you better have deep pockets and be prepared to lose all you have as it will cost.

I know, call me old fashioned but I'm a believer that if people are aware of the boundaries of their rights then they will not tolerate it for long.

Confusion exists in many privatised organisations that used to be government bodies to fuel the perception of legitimacy in the mind of Joe Boggs. In the past additional profits went into reducing premiums or at very least offsetting other public services but this is not the case with a private business.

I don't mind paying CRT some level of fee and I don't completely oppose the organisation as I will eventually be using the canal system and I understand that some costs are involved in maintaining the network, but when a "charitable organisation" is making a net of £41m a year and still trying to push beyond their territories into forcing private marinas to force their customers who are already paying for their mooring it difficult to justify their actions are in any way beneficial to the collective purpose for which they exist.

Edited by jon.h

1 hour ago, jon.h said:

As I said to you by message, kindly educate me. I may not have the right terminology but I'm rarely wrong in concept although I would be happy to be shown the error of my judgement. 

Quite simply, am I the only ignorant individual who questions the legitimacy of statutory regulations being transferred to private bodies? 

Some of the biggest businesses in Britain are charities. Charity is an act of goodwill for the benefit of others without asking for any return.

Forgive my skeptical nature but when someone talks of taxing individuals hundreds if not thousands of pounds every year when they have already paid to keep their boats on private domains off the CRT system I find it very difficult to see the element of charity in it.

CBA

Edited by Graham Davis

38 minutes ago, Jerra said:

So the National Trust isn't a charity then?
Or 4x4 Response Wales?
Or numerous canal societies?
Or preserved railways?

4 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

So the National Trust isn't a charity then?
Or 4x4 Response Wales?
Or numerous canal societies?
Or preserved railways?

Are you suggesting they don't do good works?

EDIT to add I don't consider the "Laal Ratty" narrow gauge preserved railway up here a charity I consider it a business.

ANother EDIT to add having had a dig in their website they do not appear to be a charity.

Edited by Jerra

16 minutes ago, jon.h said:

I know, call me old fashioned but I'm a believer that if people are aware of the boundaries of their rights then they will not tolerate it for long.

Confusion exists in many privatised organisations that used to be government bodies to fuel the perception of legitimacy in the mind of Joe Boggs. In the past additional profits went into reducing premiums or at very least offsetting other public services but this is not the case with a private business.

I don't mind paying CRT some level of fee and I don't completely oppose the organisation as I will eventually be using the canal system and I understand that some costs are involved in maintaining the network, but when a "charitable organisation" is making a net of £41m a year and still trying to push beyond their territories into forcing private marinas to force their customers who are already paying for their mooring it difficult to justify their actions are in any way beneficial to the collective purpose for which they exist.

More ignorance I'm afraid. You really should do more research before posting about things you clearly know very little about.

• Angry 1

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Are you suggesting they don't do good works?

EDIT to add I don't consider the "Laal Ratty" narrow gauge preserved railway up here a charity I consider it a business.

ANother EDIT to add having had a dig in their website they do not appear to be a charity.

Define "good works"?
On the grounds that CaRT provides facilities for exercise and helps preserve history, are those not "good works"?