Looking to buy 50ft boat no stove eberspacher heating only

me1bee

Featured Posts

Why,what happened with your stove?

When I first got the boat the glass cracked after a week or so, so I had to replace that. the bolts/clips that held the glass in snapped off so that was a pain too. It has tried to kill me numerous times by developing leaks where the flue meets the stove. I tried various different sealants but none last more than a month. It also developed a leak around the collar. The stove(villager heron) and flue are all in good condition and were fitted not long before I bought the boat so none of the problems were down to neglect, I think whoever fitted it did a crap job. It's currently unusable as it is leaking smoke from the flue/stove joint yet again. I think I'm just going to have to get it removed and re-fitted. It's just been a constant pain.

In contrast to that I had a webasto in my motorhome for 4 years and it never let me down.

I have a Webasto night heater in my truck and a Villager Puffin stove in the boat, and I have to say the Villager is nicer to look at. wink.png

I will just say though from my own experience of Webasto and Eberspacher heaters in trucks is that the big enemy is under-use, not over-use. Most truck night heaters go wrong because the driver doesn't fire them up once a fortnight during the Summer and run them for 30 minutes or so, this is essential as is running them on absolute maximum output for 30 minutes or so at least once a fortnight in the Winter. The one in my truck is eight years old, it's never even been serviced and it still starts first time, every time and runs for as long as needs be.

A question for the assembled experts -

Would retrofitting a drip feed boiler such as the Refleks be less invasive than a multi fuel type - and therefore a more practical solution?

Reason:

There are an increasing number of threads from folks asking the basic question for a stove and most replies discuss the multi fuel type option. In a new build - you design it in and hopefully make sure it is sensibly placed vis-a-vis location, traffic past it, desired area of heating and so on. Having said that - I've seen boats for sale with a stove tucked forward in a standard layout right next to the front doors, which to me seem to be an open invitation for somebody getting burnt, that is if anyone actually uses the front doors while the stove is lit...

When I fitted out our boat I gave the stove a lot of room and the chimney fitting was a girt big bit of 1/4" pipe with a dog leg in it (I hate pipes 'leaning over'). Coupled with one of Laurence's cranked collars (hate chimneys at an angle), the installation was quite invasive.

Sooo - would not a Reflecks type stove with smaller dimensions, presumably smaller chimney with hand-friendly shrouding be the better / best option for those who have to fit to an existing layout?

There was a boat listed one here via the Duck with such an installation and I thought it made a good attempt to solve the problem (although it may well have been in the original build.

All very well for folks to say fit a stove and ignore the challenges in fitting to an existing build.

Comments please...

I have found that one of the great advantages of a Refleks is that the stainless steel casing never gets really hot. Even at full blast you can still hold your hand on it. This means that you can fit them much closer to walls than a more traditional multi fuel burner.

Edited by koukouvagia

KK is right.

The Kabola is much smaller than a Refleks, but the working principle is much the same.

The chimney construction is easier and pipes are smaller, the 'above roof line' pipes are smaller and the whole installation can be quite neat.

Make sure you get the fire with safety cut off valves for over boiling and flame outs.

The best feature from my point of view is they were designed for use on quite large seagoing boats and burn happily and thriftily for days with little attention.

I have a 50 gallon dedicated oil tank for mine.

Retro fitting should be easy, if you want to see them contact me.

You have to keep them clean though and learn the lighting technique!

L

The Eber and Webasto heaters can be quiet and reliable, but only if installed and maintained by a factory trained technician or someone with the same skills and ability.

Even so, the heaters contain moving parts and will not last forever if used non-stop.

Probably most installs are not done as above, and are therefore likely have problems with noise and reliability.

cheers, Pete.

smpt

When I first got the boat the glass cracked after a week or so, so I had to replace that. the bolts/clips that held the glass in snapped off so that was a pain too. It has tried to kill me numerous times by developing leaks where the flue meets the stove. I tried various different sealants but none last more than a month. It also developed a leak around the collar. The stove(villager heron) and flue are all in good condition and were fitted not long before I bought the boat so none of the problems were down to neglect, I think whoever fitted it did a crap job. It's currently unusable as it is leaking smoke from the flue/stove joint yet again. I think I'm just going to have to get it removed and re-fitted. It's just been a constant pain.

In contrast to that I had a webasto in my motorhome for 4 years and it never let me down.

Off topic, I know, but most of your problems would be solved by a longer chimney. As with all things boat, small differences count.

Off topic, I know, but most of your problems would be solved by a longer chimney. As with all things boat, small differences count.

I think his problems might sooner be solved by an exorcist as that stove sounds like it was made by the devil himself.unsure.png

I don't understand how, could you explain please.

I live with a Rayburn which isn't sealed anywhere. Round the flue box, round the hot plate or round the firebox doors.

when I start it up, it generally smokes a bit and settles down as the flue heats.

What makes the most difference to this process is how long the external chimney or whether it's fitted. I had a 4.5' one which I stupidly left on and lost in the canal. I replaced it with a 3' one and the draw is not so good, if the fire gets a bit low it will smoke, but more important, will set off the CO alarm. Working to Rayburn recommendations, the minimum outside flue would be around 6'.

I wouldn't rely on just a ebespacher on a boat.

I have one and their great, but not to be used 24/7.

I would have a multi fuel stove, main heating,

Ebespacher for waiting for stove to light, secondary heating

Multi fuel stove, main heating can't break down

A secondary source (Eberspacher) good idea

One important point that hasn't yet been mentioned is condensation.

A solid fuel stove, provided it doesn't have a balanced flue, will keep the boat beautifully dry. This is important for comfort, drying clothes, avoiding rust, etc.

Ebers and Webastos are meant to be fitted with an air supply from outside the boat. This will provide no dehumidifying effect whatsoever, so condensation will always be a problem with such a set-up.

Hi

My old webasto, and now Eberspacher, both had short air intake pipes, and a filter.

These pick up air within the engine room.

I didn't know that they should pick up the air from outside the boat.?

The engine room has vents installed, but I imagine most of the air comes within side the boat.

All the best

Col

I live with a Rayburn which isn't sealed anywhere. Round the flue box, round the hot plate or round the firebox doors.

when I start it up, it generally smokes a bit and settles down as the flue heats.

What makes the most difference to this process is how long the external chimney or whether it's fitted. I had a 4.5' one which I stupidly left on and lost in the canal. I replaced it with a 3' one and the draw is not so good, if the fire gets a bit low it will smoke, but more important, will set off the CO alarm. Working to Rayburn recommendations, the minimum outside flue would be around 6'.

my chimney is not that tall and it works fine do you have buildings nearby they sometimes cause downdrafts. i to have a rayburn royal like big col

Edited by peterboat

Hi

My old webasto, and now Eberspacher, both had short air intake pipes, and a filter.

These pick up air within the engine room.

I didn't know that they should pick up the air from outside the boat.?

The engine room has vents installed, but I imagine most of the air comes within side the boat.

All the best

Col

So does mine! But the instructions say the air must come from outside, and professional fitters will probably insist on this.

The reason, of course, is that these things are designed for cars and lorry cabs, which are small spaces, and don't generally come with ventilators. I personally think that my (non-professional) installation is safe enough, but I don't want to encourage others to ignore the instructions in case they have a hermetically-sealed boat and manage to kill themselves.