It Lives! 1957 Rayburn Royal...

spaceyaface

Featured Posts

Dear All, so after weeks of work please see reconditioned 1957 Rayburn Royal. It's going to cook my supper, heat 1x 5kw & 1x 1.2k radiator and give me free homemade hot water. Get in!....NOW to restore the rest of the boat.

Lovely! Reminiscent of our previous Rayburn which was a Royal converted to oil burning. Is yours solid fuel? I notice that the temperature gauge is on the left; does it have a left-hand oven?

Best thing I ever did buy a Rayburn

Very nice spaceyaface looks a big one!

Bought ours more or less at the same time as Peter

Mines RHS oven and flue

Solid fuel

What I need though is a cream top single large lid, plenty of Rayburn's being sold in eBay,but they want to get rid of the whole cooker, even though I say I buy at the auction end price, but only would take the lid.

I keep looking though, you never know the lid I have works but case broken at hinge

I have the solid fuel one like yours but can get the oil ones very cheap.

If anyone knows of a cream top double lid,please bear me in mind

Colpost-7507-0-57604800-1449961768_thumb.jpeg

Our year old Matilda is always in command of the cooker by day

Try to get a photo of our Rayburn, but very rare without the dog in front of it

Edited by bigcol

funny that col taff likes it in front of my rayburn which is the twin of richards i really do love the beast, i was across today with richard just giving him the fine tuning of using it. when we collected richards it was a mess but it has come on very well the hardest part was cleaning the top off of the old enamel and redoing it, it looks lovely and is a credit to richards hard work, and he has a stainless boiler how good is thatclapping.gif

How did you redo the enamel?

I was told couldn't redo my enamel on mine cos fancied changing its colour from red/orange to that cream and that would have to mix modelling paint to get right colour to patch up rusty bits.

That cream is lovely did you redo the whole lot?

we did the top surface which was black. we removed the old enamel with hammers [its glass] then flappy discs in the angle grinders, then we primed it with high temp matt black then after much internet searching a very high temp gloss black. richard stripped down the rayburn of its doors lid etc, and fitted new liners seals polished all the baby blue enamel up with rubbing compound, the sides were rubbed down and colour matched for the blue and sprayed up. the ovens were rubbed down and painted in high temp silver paint it has come up lovely to say the least. last but not least the firebox bricks wer ok so we just repointed them with firecement. the top of the rayburn can be rubbed down and repainted when its needed so it should look good for years to come

-

What I need though is a cream top single large lid

...and I may have found you one. If you contact Barry Charman at Tradcookers, he reckons that he has one which has been re-enamelled. E-mail is barry@tradcookers.com, mobile phone is 07860 676793. We have done biz with him, good bloke. He will need to know which model you have. Tell him Mike sent you!

Edited by Athy

Cooked first meal, baby aubergine, French trimmed lamb chops, garlic, thyme...rare. Then polished the evening off with x2 bottles of champagne of which I sabre'd off the corks.

May I also point out that myself and Peter could easily work as a Fred Dibnah and Guy Martin tribute act! smile.png Thanks for all your help Peter...soon, very soon Rib of Beoff and very very finest deep, rich, expensive red...

Edited by spaceyaface

Very nice spaceyaface looks a big one!

Bought ours more or less at the same time as Peter

Mines RHS oven and flue

Solid fuel

What I need though is a cream top single large lid, plenty of Rayburn's being sold in eBay,but they want to get rid of the whole cooker, even though I say I buy at the auction end price, but only would take the lid.

I keep looking though, you never know the lid I have works but case broken at hinge

I have the solid fuel one like yours but can get the oil ones very cheap.

If anyone knows of a cream top double lid,please bear me in mind

Colattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Our year old Matilda is always in command of the cooker by day

Try to get a photo of our Rayburn, but very rare without the dog in front of it

hi col how much fuel are you using a month, we are getting through about 200 kilos of anthacite doubles which costs 72 squids a month. to be honest it hasnt been very cold yet so it spends most of its time with the control quarter turn open and half shut on the flue.

i do use the wispergen for 1.5 hours in the morning and night which tops up the batteries and gets the radiators up to 70 degrees c which keeps the boat very warm for hours.

we also have the oil fired bubble in the bedroom so plenty of heat sources

...and I may have found you one. If you contact Barry Charman at Tradcookers, he reckons that he has one which has been re-enamelled. E-mail is barry@tradcookers.com, mobile phone is 07860 676793. We have done biz with him, good bloke. He will need to know which model you have. Tell him Mike sent you!

Hi Athy

Just got your message,many thanks,mi just tried to phone Barry, but no answer but left a message.

His message did say to email him as his a internet run company.

So yes fingers crossed

Thank you Mike for thinking of me

Col

hi col how much fuel are you using a month, we are getting through about 200 kilos of anthacite doubles which costs 72 squids a month. to be honest it hasnt been very cold yet so it spends most of its time with the control quarter turn open and half shut on the flue.

i do use the wispergen for 1.5 hours in the morning and night which tops up the batteries and gets the radiators up to 70 degrees c which keeps the boat very warm for hours.

Gosh, I run mine bottom closed. Flue closed if it is windy, open an inch if it is not windy, one log per hour (sycamore)

Edited by rasputin

Hi Peter

Well the first thing don't regret putting a Rayburn on our boat at all.

Cleaner than having a normal log multifuel stove.

Easy to remove the ash.

Ours heats the kitchen up on its own, plus heats the rads, a double in bathroom double in wheel house 2 doubles in lounge and a double in bedroom using 22 mm pipe work and gravity fed.

I did buy and have a circulating pump fitted in case needed, but took off. Forum helped with this.

Had and still have air problems with the system but it works, rads are very very hot albeit only the middle and top half?.

We have our boat warm as in very warm top vent 2/3 during day with the bottom vent wheel just a crack open.

At night we top vent 5/6 and open up the bottom vent so you could slide I penny widths in.

Overnight more or less shut the bottom vent and top vent between 1/2

Morning, Riddle the grate, remove the ash, open up the bottom vent and open up the top vent to 4/5 just to get the whole thing heating again.

Rayburn hasn't been out for weeks!!!

Coal usage I'm buying 10kg bags and go through 5 a week, so £20 per week.

It hasn't been that cold so not cheap,

I could buy the cheaper blaze coal at 5x25 kg for £40 from grove lock which would bring the running costs down.But can't lift the weight.

Is it worth it?

the whole boat is always dry and warm, too hot so times as we open the windows but that's turning the Rayburn down a bit.

Winter might arrive, and we might be using more, but it's a large space, and it's warm everywhere lol cos it's worth it.