More Info on liveaboard costs

snappyfish

Live aboard Livings Costs, Food, Maintenance, Moorings and anything else.  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Livings Costs on a boat per week on average

• £10 - £50 a week
    • £50 - £100 a week
    • £100 - £150 a week
    • £150 - £200 a week
    • £200 - £250 a week
    • £250 - £300 a week
    • £300 - £350 a week
    • £350 - £400 a week
    • £400 - £450 a week
    • £450 - £500 a week
    • £500 - £550 a week
    • £550 - £600 a week
    • £600 - £650 a week
    • £650 - £700 a week
    • £700 - £750 a week
    • £750 - £800 a week
    • £800 - £850 a week
    • £850 - £900 a week
    • £900 - £950 a week
    • £950 - £1000 a week
    • £1000 + week
  2. 2. Do you work to cover costs?

• Yes, I have no savings
    • No, I have Savings but money is running out
    • I have savings and Invesments and live from Interest
  3. 3. Are you a

• CC'er Full Time
    • CC'er Part Time

Featured Posts

Ours depend on how much money we've got - we can tighten our belts and live very cheaply but we do rather like treating ourselves if the funds are available.

I think to make the poll meaningful you need to just include boat related costs - shopping costs the same regardless of your accommodation.

Crossed with Starry - what she said.

Edited by Ange

No category for retired, ie no not working

Phil

There is "I have savings and investments and live off interest" which would have suited a retired person some years back when their life savings could earn them a decent return. You're right though, no mention of pension, and that is important because pensioners make up a sizeable proportion of ccers

I have nothing to hide, do you?

No - neither do I - but this seems an extremely intrusive and effectively meaningless "poll" (always thought that pertained to a vote - not telling some nosey parker what you have/don't have and how you spend it?)..

What I spend at Sainsbury's doesn't have any bearing on what it might cost to live on a boat for the next man - or does it?

No - neither do I - but this seems an extremely intrusive and effectively meaningless "poll" (always thought that pertained to a vote - not telling some nosey parker what you have/don't have and how you spend it?)..

What I spend at Sainsbury's doesn't have any bearing on what it might cost to live on a boat for the next man - or does it?

Hi,

Thanks for your input but the poll is not meaningless to me. I clicked the wrong setting and did not want as persons identitiy revelaed if they voted.

It would of given me a good insight into living aboard.

There are plenty of forums where people discuss costs of living in a house, bills food, weekly expsense £££ etc!

Edited by snappyfish

I quite understand you want an insight into living aboard (hence your earlier thread where I tried suggesting a winter hire) but there are SO many variables to life afloat - as several earlier posters have tried to point out - which must surely also pertain to those fora where "people discuss costs of living in a house, bills food, weekly expsense £££ etc!" ?

Still not saying...

because I have no idea.

Maybe its a bit like buying a Rolls Royce, if you have to ask how much?

You cannot afford it. wink.png

I can tell you this though your food bills, will be exactly the same as living in a house.

No, they may be a little higher as you will not always be able to get to a supermarket and have to buy from the village shop.

Your fuel bills will be similar, possibly more, just paid to different people/companies.

Still not saying...

because I have no idea.

I can tell you this though your food bills, will be exactly the same as living in a house.

No, they may be a little higher as you will not always be able to get to a supermarket and have to buy from the village shop.

Your fuel bills will be similar, possibly more, just paid to different people/companies.

help.gif

clapping.gif

Edited by metanoia

Hmmm.

The good thing about canal life is that you can make any amount of money work for you, except zero.

A horrid rusty mess with a smoky engine, overworked bilge pumps and dreadlocked hairstyling, chainsaw going every day, with stolen trees, smelling of diesel (from nicking it from nearby boats), works for some. I'm guessing £100 a week there if there are no scruffy kids involved.

At the other end of the scale, £3000 a month on fillet steaks, good Merlot and as much beer as you can take, in a Barry Hawkins top-end boat, works for others.

Notice I made no mention of Hudsons.

Oh dear, look what you made me do!

PS I am somewhere in the middle!

• Greenie 1

Still not saying...

because I have no idea.

My food bills are higher, because we don't run a fridge in the winter months, buying only what we need, and eating out a fair bit. It means we can't often take advantage of special offers, or buy cost effective amounts of stuff, because it won't keep. But that's made up for not having to run a genny every day in winter to keep up with the fridge.

My food bills are higher, because we don't run a fridge in the winter months, buying only what we need, and eating out a fair bit. It means we can't often take advantage of special offers, or buy cost effective amounts of stuff, because it won't keep. But that's made up for not having to run a genny every day in winter to keep up with the fridge.

Isn't it just possible that running a fridge, and not eating out a 'fair bit', might make economic sense? With a second-hand 1kW genny, a gallon or two of ever-cheaper petrol, might mean that your lifestyle could be better than it is now, at no more cost in the long run?

2p

Still not saying...

because I have no idea.

You cannot afford it. ;)

Our food bill as you say is exactly the same from when we lived in a house... The big difference is the wine bill which is now considerable more !!! Happy Days

Our food bill is the same , It's the wine bill that's gone through the roof .. Happy Days Edited by Tisinca

To get an idea of cost for c/c you would need to state if you pay to moor in winter. Also do you cover a lot of ground during the year or do you tend to moor up for one or two weeks as you cruise.

As for working or savings its irrelevant where the money comes from if you just want an idea of costs.

The poll needs to be private and also a second or third poll should cover other boating styles. The results could be interesting and perhaps useful to newbies.

Of course no two boaters would be the same even if both cruised the same style Inc. mooring for winter. A big difference could be eating out a lot and pubbing each night both would up costs. But it would give a guide.

To get an idea of cost for c/c you would need to state if you pay to moor in winter. Also do you cover a lot of ground during the year or do you tend to moor up for one or two weeks as you cruise.

As for working or savings its irrelevant where the money comes from if you just want an idea of costs.

The poll needs to be private and also a second or third poll should cover other boating styles. The results could be interesting and perhaps useful to newbies.

Of course no two boaters would be the same even if both cruised the same style Inc. mooring for winter. A big difference could be eating out a lot and pubbing each night both would up costs. But it would give a guide.

Exactly - hence my claim it is "meaningless" - just to ask how much you spend each week as "living costs" and where that comes from? How does that pertain to boating and/or living aboard?

Break it down by fuel, moorings, licence, insurances, how much you intend to cruise, etc etc- and it might be of interest and use to newbies.......... and more might be inclined to contribute.

Our food bill is the same , It's the wine bill that's gone through the roof .. Happy Days

Yes - noticed that too - why IS that??!!

I can't see this survey has any meaning? There are too many variables, its a bit like asking how much does it cost to live in a house.

Some people will be living in starter homes some big country houses, some on their own some large familys.

I would like to know what the cost was and for who and what size boat eg £150 a week, single person, 40ft boat.

Edited by narrowboatham

I can't see this survey has any meaning? There are too many variables, its a bit like asking how much does it cost to live in a house.

Some people will be living in starter homes some big country houses, some on their own some large familys.

I would like to know what the cost was and for who and what size boat eg £150 a week, single person, 40ft boat.

Well if everyone on this forum voted

• £100 - £150 a week
  • Yes, I have no savings
  • CC'er Full Time

Id get some results! clapping.gif

But........................... it seems my mistake of adding a public polll ruined things in the beginning which I apoligised for :)

Edited by snappyfish

Well if everyone on this forum voted

• £100 - £150 a week
  • Yes, I have no savings
  • CC'er Full Time

Id get some results! clapping.gif

But........................... it seems my mistake of adding a public polll ruined things in the beginning which I apoligised for smile.png

But if I told you I :

* Boat 'costs' of £200-£250 per week

* Had £500,000 in investments

* Had a £500,000 house which I used when not "part time CCing"

What would you 'gain' from that ?

It costs much the same to live in a house as it costs to live on a boat, in my experience... :)

And in my experience, it's cheaper to live here in Cambridge on a boat than in a house or flat. It all depends on so many factors, cost of moorings vs house prices, whether you have a paid off mortgage or not, etc. There is no single answer to the question because it varies so much.