Smiple MiFi question i hope!

junior

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend a mifi unit that is 4G able AND has an external antenna socket please?

Having finally lost my One Plan unlimited Tethering I'm going down this route.

I will be looking for a second hand unlocked unit on ebay so i can just buy the sim cards to put in it.

I want to know what unit to search for on ebay as there seems to be loads of different ones.

Just to confirm...4G able AND antenna socket please!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUAWEI-E5377-UNLOCKED-BLACK-LTE-4G-3G-Mobile-MiFi-WiFi-Wireless-Modem-E5372-/331601091574?hash=item4d34f71bf6

Connect Upto 10 Devices via WiFi

2x TS9 External Antenna Connectors

Connect to all standards of 4G, 3G and 2G:

4G LTE FDD (Download) data service of up to 150 Mbit/s

4G LTE FDD (Upload) data service of up to 50 Mbit/s

DC-HSPA+ (Download) data service of up to 43.2 Mbit/s

HSPA+ (Download) data service of up to 21.6 Mbit/s

HSDPA (Download) data service of up to 14.4 Mbit/s

HSUPA (Upload) data service of up to 5.76 Mbit/s

UMTS data service of up to 384 kbit/s

EDGE data service of up to 236.8 kbit/s

GPRS data service of up to 85.6 kbit/s

Not 'used' but at least you know the model to look for.

Edited by MJG

So if you have two antenna sockets do you then need two antennas. Or if you only use one with a Y lead what's the advantage?

(I have a Voda version of the E5573), works well with one antenna - I think the second socket is for even higher speeds.

WARNING do NOT buy the Vodafone for other networks as it can't be unlocked; you can't get underneath Voda's software. If anyone know differently, please post!!!

Plenty of 'unbranded' E5573s around and they're very easy to unlock:-

• Buy a code - you'll need to quote your IMEI number, cost ~£1
  • Put a sim from a different supplier in
  • wait for enter unlock code message
  • enter unlock code
  • Done

So if you have two antenna sockets do you then need two antennas. Or if you only use one with a Y lead what's the advantage?

Two sockets, two aerials but they will work with only one (make sure you use the correct one, they are marked), two are required if your ISP is set-up for higher speeds.

Not all ISP's are.

I have an HUAWEI E5372, slightly old model but in the right location, right time of day (kids in school) as with all of them and two aerials I have regularly had speeds of 50 Mbps. Currently test shows 20Mbps, That is ten times the minimum speed for watching on line tv. films etc.

Being slightly more serious, the Samsung S4 you have will be out of warranty now, and maybe even easily replaced with another phone.

You could root the phone, meaning that tethering is not visible.ninja.gif

Use something like KingRoot or similar, quite simple to do.

I have been kicked off the one contract as well, and have dropped to a far lower contract than they wanted/expected me to - but still with unlimited data.

If the s4 is now a second phone, you can use it as a mifi with the ariel JustMe shows, just stick a 12v ciggy charger to it and turn the wifi hotspot to Always On in the settings.

Being slightly more serious, the Samsung S4 you have will be out of warranty now, and maybe even easily replaced with another phone.

You could root the phone, meaning that tethering is not visible.ninja.gif

Use something like KingRoot or similar, quite simple to do.

I have been kicked off the one contract as well, and have dropped to a far lower contract than they wanted/expected me to - but still with unlimited data.

If the s4 is now a second phone, you can use it as a mifi with the ariel JustMe shows, just stick a 12v ciggy charger to it and turn the wifi hotspot to Always On in the settings.

My S4 bit the dust. So although i hadn't taken the upgrade i was due (because i wanted to keep off their radar and ON unlimited Tethering) i finally had to admit defeat in order to get a new phone out of them.

I have an S5 now. Still unlimited data, but with an 8GB tethering cap. I was alright for the first month, but this month i used it up in the first 10 days. I tried a few different free apps that said they could hide tethering, but either they didn't work or i did something wrong.

**I have another problem**

I'm spending a lot of time on the Shroppie at the moment and the 'Three' signal is poor. I spent 4 evenings last week moored up with no phone signal (Audlem, Adderley, High Offley, Norbury) and i was positively at the end of my tether by the 4th night.

So my combined solution for both problems is to get a Mifi. This will give me a few extra GB's of data for watching Iplayer/YouTube etc once my Tethering allowance on my phone has run out. It should also mean that when i moor in places i get no phone signal i can still get a MiFi signal (with the external antenna) and not be stuck with having to read a book for 4 days in a row.

So I'm going to get a second hand unlocked Mifi that will enable me to buy a few data sims from different network providers to insert when needed.

Thanks for the suggestions/recommendations folks, i now know what to look for on ebay.

I've recently bought a Huawei E5377 which has twin TS9 connectors and I've got an external antenna with twin connectors. I bought mine through Amazon and it is unlocked and currently has one of the EE sims with the Christmas bonus data in it.

I've just bought a Huawei E5776S-32. Unlocked with an external antenna.

It takes full size sim cards so i'll be keeping a look out for the best deals. I think EE is the best for the Shroppie.

EE sims are now the multi type anyway. You just push out the size you need.

Edited by MJG

It seems from reading these post that the Huawei units are favored.

But which is the best one?

Does the higher the number denote the newest model?

Is the newest model necessarily the best?

Is it a matter of value for money? i.e. the newer models don't warrant the extra cash for the extra speed? or something

Just asking as I will need to get one at some point in the future. I don't mind paying out for quality but do begrudge paying out for flash and unnecessary

It seems from reading these post that the Huawei units are favored.

But which is the best one?

Does the higher the number denote the newest model?

Is the newest model necessarily the best?

Is it a matter of value for money? i.e. the newer models don't warrant the extra cash for the extra speed? or something

Just asking as I will need to get one at some point in the future. I don't mind paying out for quality but do begrudge paying out for flash and unnecessary

Newer ones are more likely to be 4G capable which provides for faster browsing and better video streaming (f that's your thing)

It's all down to market perception - 'newer offerings must be better' syndrome.

It's not helped by the lack of any real product information -

so called technical specifications often state something like - it comes in a nice box and has flashing lights.

Important (to me) details such as - Antenna sockets and type, battery charger included, Sim size - are missing. I know 'cos I searched last night and found zilch in the Huawei UK site and didn't understand what the german site said.....

Huawei Branded models are easy to unlock and have a good interface.