Constantly cruising reagents canal and lea

Cara face

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Very new to all of this and wanted some advise.... how far does one need to travel between moorings to be constantly cruising. At the moment I bike ride from Camden town to Greenwich and so I was thinking to do some kind of circular round reagents canal and the lea ..... is that possible?? Thoughts???

Cheers Cara

Have you had a quick read of CRT's guidelines for CC'ers? Spoken to other London boaters who CC the area?

How far up the Lea? I am fairly sure that CRT will issue a licence and accept a CC'er declaration to people who only cruise the Lea (perhaps someone can cite a reference) so that might give you an idea, depending how far you are thinking to go up it.

You need to have a 25 mile range at the moment, some of us suspect this might get increased to 40 miles. Have a look at some maps, for instance if your route was Enfield to Brentford, it comes in at a 35 mile range. Certainly wouldn't advise anyone to go for it if they can't cruise the bigger distance.

Two years ago we were warning boaters that enforcement would be stepped up, I remember telling a new boater that they wouldn't be able to hang around in the same small geographical area, despite their mates telling them it would be ok. They didn't listen to us. They didn't cruise every 14 days and their range was less than 10 miles over a year. This boater got the court papers in August of this year. CRT are seizing the boat.

If you did the circular route Victoria park to Hackney wick down the hertford union, down limehouse cut to limehouse and back up to Victoria park via mile end (is that the circular route that you meant?) its nowhere near enough, don't think its even 10 miles.

You have to cruise at least every 14 days, at least 1km move each time, you can't hang around in a favourite or convenient area anymore, especially if you like being in town, that's the bit where they count boats every day.

10% of cruisers in London are at risk of losing their license and being forced to remove their boat from CRT waters so this is something you can't take lightly.

Starcoaster (for some reason my browser won't let me quote), a river only license is ok as long as you can get under the low bridges and cruise most of those canals.

It's £80+ a week for the train pass from Bishops Stortford. Once you get North past Broxbourne the train travel is expensive.

I've lost count of people buying boats that are too big for the Lea and Stort, (especially river cruisers and dutch barges without collapsible wheelhouses), yes they are barge canals and they can handle deep draughted craft, but the bridges are so very low.

Its a Harvey Eastwood 42 .... Hrmm will have to look at maps and get an idea of journeys thankyou everyone

This kind of thing?

3832196_-1_20120709091849_0_0.jpg&w=600&

out of interest why have you apparently created a second forum user account - multiple accounts are not usually allowed?

Ok, had a look, don't think you'd have issues with bridge heights, but I wouldn't want to cc that boat on the Regents, purely because I'm not sure you'd be able to find moorings in the central area.

It's the width. Town is just so packed, if you don't have a sub 40 foot narrowboat, its tricky. Most people I know with widebeams don't go into town anymore, there's not the space. You'd probably be on the Lea most of the time but that would mean going way out of town.

There probably was spaces, but thing is, you can't stay in that area all the time, as part of your cruise you may find yourself in areas that are packed out. Plus without knowing those bits, it could be that there is nothing to tie to or it is too shallow.

I wouldn't want to cc that boat in London, there are one or two people that do, but they are Lea based.

Lady today there was lots of spots between Limehouse and Victoria park is that a ristricted area or just not popular? Also sea toilet has a hull storage that can be pumped out ... Cheaked that today smile.png

Make sure the outlet is blanked off as well, its quite common to have sea toilets with small holding tanks and a diverter valve, so the holding tank is used in the marina and then straight over the side when on the river. It may be done, but if not its easier to sort before they put it into the water.

Check also that the boat is capable of getting a BSS ( Boat Safety Certificate) if it is the one I linked to in the other thread I think it would struggle.

If it has not previously had a BSS it can involve a fair bit of cost and inconvenience to get it done. (Gas, electric and fuel systems will all need surveying and ensuring they comply with he standards).

You cannot get a boat licence without a BSS

You cannot put your boat on the River / Canals without a licence.

Maybe get the seller to get it BSS'd as part of the sale then you don't need worry

There probably was spaces, but thing is, you can't stay in that area all the time, as part of your cruise you may find yourself in areas that are packed out. Plus without knowing those bits, it could be that there is nothing to tie to or it is too shallow.

I wouldn't want to cc that boat in London, there are one or two people that do, but they are Lea based.

I'd have thought being 'based' anywhere meant a claim to be CCing was taking the pish.

You absolutely can legitimately cc whilst having ties in a particular place if the geography allows. Too many people on this forum have their own ideas of ccing which bear no relation to the law. Whilst I agree that the OP is unrealistic with the craft and the cruising range let's stop wheeling out this silliness of "I believe you can only cc if you don't have a job or children in school" because it's not true. It's tough but it can be done

I think you are missing the point of continuous cruising by which I mean travelling on the waterways generally in one direction to enjoy them, not up, down or around the same local stretch to suit a work commitment.

That is your opinion which bears no relation to the law. During our ccing time I've held down jobs and still cc'd - when we've moved it's been as much to enjoy boating as through necessity. The world has many shades of grey.

I'm deeply bothered that you can't spell "Regent's Canal" given you claim to be a teacher.

Maybe she's had a few vino's she is allowed after all :cheers:

You absolutely can legitimately cc whilst having ties in a particular place if the geography allows. Too many people on this forum have their own ideas of ccing which bear no relation to the law. Whilst I agree that the OP is unrealistic with the craft and the cruising range let's stop wheeling out this silliness of "I believe you can only cc if you don't have a job or children in school" because it's not true. It's tough but it can be done

Yes I agree with this, you can work and CC, I know a few people that do and have never been under enforcement.

Mick My teaching role doesn't involve spelling and being half asleep and dislexic I wasn't really focusing on that.

I am looking into cc because I do like the idea of roaming and thought since I was already commited to traveling 13+ miles each way to and from my job that I could balance both. However I must be realistic needing to move 40+ miles from where I work would be impossible .... But traveling a long enough stretch around London would possibility work at balencing both.

Anyhow that's why I'm on this forum ... To find out more and understand how it all works. Please give advice not insults :)

Edited by Cara face
  • Greenie 3