Halfords Socket Set Deal.

GreyLady

Featured Posts

Nobody has mentioned Makita powertools.

We had a family friend who fitted kitchens for a living and he swore by them.

Or have they been sacrificed on the altar of ultra mass production and cheap components too?

we dumped snap on years ago its over priced crap the franchises in our area are vacant because of exchange problems. we before i left used mac tools which are better quality the halfords professional stuff is good quality and i think is made in another eastern country the set looks good value

Oddly enough, I was just thinking about buying another socket set (in preperation for something or other)... I/we get througn quite a few tools (restoring vintage fairground rides) so often buy a duplicate/triplicate of one or another so more people can work on the same thing at the same time...

conclusions, based on the last 12 months are:

Green bosch are a waste of money as they break way too fast.., Blue bosch are ok.

Matika - generally last well and can be dropped from 40ft and often still work... their battery powered angle grinder is lovely and "gentle" for those awkard places up a ladder!

De-walt to be fair are better value and do last well if looked after - batteries seem to do better than matika ones.

Ebrauer (however you spell them) - curve ball but blooming well built little things for the money... good value drills/impact drivers - usually with 2 x 2ah batteries and fast chargers.

Most recently, I bought a couple of "forge" socket sets from screwfix for a dodgem restoration job we were doing and they seem to be surviving quite well - no obvious rounding - yet.

we burned out a couple of screwfix belt sanders on the last job but they were replaced without quibble. OK so they are not designed for the size of job, but I'm sure they can afford a couple of units more than we can :-)

Most favourite tool? - the matika oscillating thingy... noisy but blooming useful for all number of things.

Mmm. I'm leaning more and more towards the Bosch professional line (the blue ones rather than green)

I've never really thought about their pro range but after reading what's been said I think you might be right.

Pretty cheap as well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00D3QOQQW/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?qid=1448351884&sr=8-11π=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=blue+bosch+rechargeable+drill

post-24819-0-72405100-1448352119_thumb.jpg

Edited by GreyLady

Talk about prejudice. Come on guys. Black and Decker did indeed buy De Walt. It happened in 1960!

Yes but they kept the product lines and componants entirely separate until just recently I understand

I have decided i am going to buy my dad this for Christmas even though it will end up on the boat. :-)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0044ATOFO/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Downside is NiCad batteries, OK if being used and recharged regularly, bit of a pain if only used occasionally in which case Li-ion are better. Edited by nb Innisfree

Downside is NiCad batteries, OK if being used and recharged regularly, bit of a pain if only used occasionally in which case lion are better.

That might explain why we struggled with our Dewalt Battery's not holding charge, we only used it once a month if that.

Thanks for your info.

This might be better then.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00G4609NM/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_5?qid=1448359964&sr=8-5-spellπ=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=mikita+drill+litium+ion

Edited by GreyLady

Hehe, glad to hear their doing well for you W+T. :-)

i used to always get Teng but for a similar amount this amount it was well over £400, good gear but the Halfords still has life time GT. Actually used the GT not long ago as the 13mm was bent, they replaced it hassle in 3 days.

Only one battery!

I treated myself to a DeWalt as in the link below, got mine from B&Q for £145 less 10% old git discount, very impressed, only downside is the led work light is placed near the chuck which casts a shadow.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dewalt-xr-dcd785c2sf-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-save-100-149-99-screwfix-1708485

That might explain why we struggled with our Dewalt Battery's not holding charge, we only used it once a month if that.

Thanks for your info.

This might be better then.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00G4609NM/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_5?qid=1448359964&sr=8-5-spellπ=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=mikita+drill+litium+ion

Edited by nb Innisfree

Only one battery!

I treated myself to a DeWalt as in the link below, got mine from B&Q for £145 less 10% old git discount, very impressed, only downside is the led work light is placed near the chuck which casts a shadow. http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dewalt-xr-dcd785c2sf-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-save-100-149-99-screwfix-1708485

Your Dewalt might be better than the one I had 5 years ago, once I started using it on hammer it literally fell to bits inside and the bearings gave up the ghost, I fancy buying something different being honest.

I feel a bit cheeky saying this because you've given me some good advice on Battery's.

Edited by GreyLady

Your Dewalt might be better than the one I had 5 years ago, once I started using it on hammer it literally fell to bits inside and the bearings gave up the ghost, I fancy buying something different being honest.

I feel a bit cheeky saying this because you've given me some good advice on Battery's.

Nothing cheeky about it, we're just being objective.

I've drilled lots of holes in brickwork with my DeWalt in the 12 months or so I've had it, performed brilliantly, I used to get the mains drill out if I needed hammer action as my old cheapo cordless couldn't cop, now I use the DeWalt all the time. Also bought a DeWalt impact driver, again, superb. I chose my DeWalt over Makita because it is more compact and the XR range use the same batteries, the Makita for similar price used a different battery to other Makitas.

Nothing cheeky about it, we're just being objective.

I've drilled lots of holes in brickwork with my DeWalt in the 12 months or so I've had it, performed brilliantly, I used to get the mains drill out if I needed hammer action as my old cheapo cordless couldn't cop, now I use the DeWalt all the time. Also bought a DeWalt impact driver, again, superb. I chose my DeWalt over Makita because it is more compact and the XR range use the same batteries, the Makita for similar price used a different battery to other Makitas.

Well if it's doing us proud and getting the job done that's all that matters. :-)

I am glad you let me know about the Battery's though I thought they were all the same. :-/

i used to always get Teng but for a similar amount this amount it was well over £400, good gear but the Halfords still has life time GT. Actually used the GT not long ago as the 13mm was bent, they replaced it hassle in 3 days.

Teng make some good stuff don't they WT, saying that on the old days I've hung of Halfords ratchet and sockets with a long scaffolding bar and they've n9t given out on me.

I am glad you let me know about the Battery's though I thought they were all the same. :-/

Makita had the same type as the rest of their range i.e. Li-Ion but different connection profile so not interchangeable, restricts choice when buying bare tools to use existing batts, a real pain having different batts and chargers

Makita had the same type as the rest of their range i.e. Li-Ion but different connection profile so not interchangeable, restricts choice when buying bare tools to use existing batts, a real pain having different batts and chargers

Yes I know what you mean my dads garage is like spaghetti junction with lots of recharges.

Eany meanie miny mo.

Edited by GreyLady