on the bottom

peterboat

Featured Posts

good afternoon all.

here on the s and sy just below rotherham town lock we are on the bottom they removed the lock gates last week and one week later all the water has run away. they have pumps to try and fill it up but all to no avail, clearly we have a leak somewhere as crt state the eastwood locks arnt leaking. we also have the old fitzwilliam canal flowing in so somewhere there is a hole but crt dont want to accept this. the section of canal is 2 miles long and about 9 to 14 foot deep we are currently over 3 feet down so most of the boat have a bit of a lean on them.

people that reside here are having to sleep in cars as they cant get in their boats.

i have been to see the engineers and we have phoned up all a waste of time.

crt clearly underestimated this job which given they are always replacing gates shouldnt happen, however the normal lads on the ground are having a right laugh at the engineers clearly some private joke.

i will have to leave the boat tonight as taff is struggling to get on and off so will be landbased for the foreseeable future

peter

chuffing numpty answer that one sick.gifhelp.gif my good fone has had an accident so cant post pictures will try with rubbish one and see what happens. the boat next to me is chained up i recon if he is quick he will be able to black the bottom before we get water back

To be fair to CRT there have been advisory notices issued for the past few days to say that they are having problems with the water levels. So it shouldn't be a great surprise to boaters.

not quite like that they started the job without the required amount of pumps they now have 5 on the job 4 x 6 inch and 1 x 12 inch they recon that in 2 hours we should see levels going up. ken my neighbor talked to the man in charge at leeds he was very apologetic but said up until this morning no more requests had been made for pumps the lads on the site last night said they were waiting for one so somewhere their has been a cockup. the other problem is not all people are on the internet so dont find out about what is going on the old bloke next to me for one as his boat is no longer in the water as his chains cant be lengthened

[...]

the old bloke next to me for one as his boat is no longer in the water as his chains cant be lengthened

OT, but there's a possible safety risk if some of the weight of his boat is being supported by chains, and there's any chance they could break.

I've never seen a chain break, but you definitely don't want to be in range of a cable or rope with a few tons of tension on it that breaks. This is a side-effect of them stretching, which might not be an issue with chains, depending on the specific metal/alloy used - but it could be worth checking.

Edited by Gordias

being suspended in mid air is a nerve wracking experience !!!

When Sabina H was being restored she was moored on tidal waters to a concrete wharf. My mooring lines were 8" circumference multiplait tied to heavy bollards welded to the starboard deck.

While I was out a 100 ton tug had moored alongside and had NOT taken their lines ashore but tied to my port side bollards. The tide had gone out and the tug had slipped out from the bank and Sabina was suspended with her bow a foot in the air. Both sets of bollards were sprung slightly off vertical (and although they went back a fraction they are still slightly splayed to this day) and the mooring lines were like banjo strings.....It was a very worrying wait for the tide to come back in. I think if I had been able to get hold of the skipper of the passage crew that left it there I would have throttled him

Going off topic,sorry.

We are on the Satffs & Worcs. we were forewarned there was a tree clocking, blocking even, the canal about half a mile ahead. We arrived, and sure enough there was a tree blocking passage.

I called CRT, and was informed that they were aware and that it would be done later today or more likely tomorrow. Ugh!

Within fifteen minutes a van pulls up near the bridge where we were able to moor. Out jumps tree fellas (three altogether), with rope, chainsaws and other equipment. The rather large tree was gone and the canal open again in half an hour.

I calledCRT back and thanked all concerned for their speedy response.

The lass on the phone was pleasantly surprised that I had taken the bother to call back.

Thought it worth mentioning.

Edited by Nightwatch

Goes to reinforce, that a mooring line should be tied using a knot which can be undone under tension.

...and if you're going to use a chain, make sure there is a weak link in it to prevent the scenario described above. Of course, it's never the fault of the person who neglected to do so, is it?

Going off topic,sorry.

We are on the Satffs & Worcs. we were forewarned there was a tree clocking, blocking even, the canal about half a mile ahead. We arrived, and sure enough there was a tree blocking passage.

I called CRT, and was informed that they were aware and that it would be done later today or more likely tomorrow. Ugh!

Within fifteen minutes a van pulls up near the bridge where we were able to moor. Out jumps tree fellas (three altogether), with rope, chainsaws and other equipment. The rather large tree was gone and the canal open again in half an hour.

I calledCRT back and thanked all concerned for their speedy response.

The lass on the phone was pleasantly surprised that I had taken the bother to call back.

Thought it worth mentioning.

Yes, it certainly was. Good for CRT, getting the job done. I suspect it's not all that unusual, though.

In theory.....but when they are creaking under the strain .........I'd rather be a long way away from them

I would be right behind you... oddly enough I was moored last week next to a mate who had a chain snap when a boat passed a little quickly, they go with quite a bang.

Ian.9

...and if you're going to use a chain, make sure there is a weak link in it to prevent the scenario described above. Of course, it's never the fault of the person who neglected to do so, is it?

This case is exceptional - you don't expect a section of canal to drain away completely - BUT I'd say it happens frequently in certain situations, for example mooring on rivers. And its quite possible that a number of boats moor together; and some boaters are away from theirs, while others (perhaps by pre-arrangement) are happy to tend to mooring lines if the level changes significantly.

This case is exceptional - you don't expect a section of canal to drain away completely - BUT I'd say it happens frequently in certain situations, for example mooring on rivers. And its quite possible that a number of boats moor together; and some boaters are away from theirs, while others (perhaps by pre-arrangement) are happy to tend to mooring lines if the level changes significantly.

I'd say that depends very much whether you are on a short pound. I will not try to define 'short', but if you are anywhere near a lock gate leading downwards ...

I'd say that depends very much whether you are on a short pound. I will not try to define 'short', but if you are anywhere near a lock gate leading downwards ...

Well true - this one's (over) 2 miles though!! I'd say being near the lock gate doesn't mean much, unless the pound is interrupted eg by a temporary dam, since water will maintain a level.

Well true - this one's (over) 2 miles though!! I'd say being near the lock gate doesn't mean much, unless the pound is interrupted eg by a temporary dam, since water will maintain a level.

When it's flowing, it slopes a bit -- the level drops first near the leak!

Edited by Machpoint005

this pound is 2 miles long 20 meters wide on average a huge winding hole 4 pumps couldnt keep the level so we must have a serious leak somewhere. previous to changing the gates the level was controlled by winding up the paddles 2 turns on a paddle at each end. however recently we have had all the paddles full open to keep the level crt have known about it so not having enough pumps is a lack of communication between gate fitters and team in charge of our canal. one old guy with his dog is spending his second night in his car not good is it

the boat weighs about 30 tons pushing it out is not an option also it would just make the problem worse boat 10 feet out and 6 foot down. how about crt did the job properly and told the only people that would be realyl affected what was going to happen. they didnt even tell the owner of the marina. however they told all the crt moorings 7 miles away whose levels arnt affected strange one that eh. the water levels have gone down in the night so clearly 5 pumps arnt enough and according to the lads on site they have used 4000 litres of diesel this week. what price a bywash to stop this happening in the future

for got to say while the boats were floating crt assured us all was ok and the levels wouldnt go down further so next morning we were on the bottom and one foot of water had gone