on the bottom

peterboat

Featured Posts

So the water isn't as you say in your first ranting post?

Just another chance to have a dig at CRT then?

And clearly your description can not be relied on as the water level was only down 3ft, the boats are now sat on the bottom yet this guys Springer roof is now below bank level!

as i said stop making yourself look foolish we have to step down up to 2 foot to get into our boats at normal levels, so if the water goes down 3 foot that makes it 5 foot down to get into the boat a long drop dont you think for an 80 year old and his dog. which is why i said he could step down onto the roof of his boat. now stop trying to make yourself look any more stupid than you already look by trying to be clever. if the engineers came out and decided that we were in trouble and the stop planks were removed to reflood the canal it should be good enough for you after all you did read it on the notices didnt you

So the water isn't as you say in your first ranting post?

Just another chance to have a dig at CRT then?

And clearly your description can not be relied on as the water level was only down 3ft, the boats are now sat on the bottom yet this guys Springer roof is now below bank level!

Please stop making yourself appear so ignorant,I am sure there is more to you than that.

There is no need to set yourself up as an apologist for CRT,like all of us they get it wrong

occasionally.

Please stop making yourself appear so ignorant,I am sure there is more to you than that.

There is no need to set yourself up as an apologist for CRT,like all of us they get it wrong

occasionally.

I'm not a CarT apologist.

Some people however expect far too much and everything to be spoon-fed.

The water level is down a bit. So what?

There is a stoppage and major works taking place.

If people want maintenance to take place and the waterways to continue to be usable then unfortunately some minor inconvenience is going to take place at some point.

It was advertised, despite what some would lead you to believe.

It would appear that CRT are trying their best to accommodate people and are raising levels again on a temporary basis. What more can they do?

Be prepared next time.

I'm not a CarT apologist.

Some people however expect far too much and everything to be spoon-fed.

The water level is down a bit. So what?

There is a stoppage and major works taking place.

If people want maintenance to take place and the waterways to continue to be usable then unfortunately some minor inconvenience is going to take place at some point.

It was advertised, despite what some would lead you to believe.

It would appear that CRT are trying their best to accommodate people and are raising levels again on a temporary basis. What more can they do?

Be prepared next time.

you really are a heartless cow its snowing outside we have explained he is 80 doesnt do the internet and no notices were posted we have just tried again to get him on his boat but its still to low. so another night in the car for him because he cant get in my boat for the same reasons.

i will leave you now in your never never land where crt dont make cockups and old people can develop wings to get on and off their boats

• Greenie 1

you really are a heartless cow its snowing outside we have explained he is 80 doesnt do the internet and no notices were posted we have just tried again to get him on his boat but its still to low. so another night in the car for him because he cant get in my boat for the same reasons.

i will leave you now in your never never land where crt dont make cockups and old people can develop wings to get on and off their boats

Have you considered contacting Social services to get emergency accommodation for the night?

Have you considered contacting Social services to get emergency accommodation for the night?

he doesnt want it he worries who would look after his dog. we are going to try later the water is coming up well so maybe by midnight he will be in his boat cheers though

as i said stop making yourself look foolish we have to step down up to 2 foot to get into our boats at normal levels, so if the water goes down 3 foot that makes it 5 foot down to get into the boat a long drop dont you think for an 80 year old and his dog. which is why i said he could step down onto the roof of his boat. now stop trying to make yourself look any more stupid than you already look by trying to be clever. if the engineers came out and decided that we were in trouble and the stop planks were removed to reflood the canal it should be good enough for you after all you did read it on the notices didnt you

I think Naughty Girl is trying to work out if you are actually on the bottom as the title suggests, you stated the canal depth is between 9ft-14ft and the canal has dropped 3ft, then that still leaves a depth of 6ft-11ft of water and if your draught is 2ft 6" that still leaves over 3ft of water under the boat, so I doubt your on the bottom, So in some respects she's right as the water would have to drop about 6ft 6" - 11ft 6" for you to be stuck on the bottom and that's a lot of water.

Edited by Northernboater

I think Naughty Girl is trying to work out if you are actually on the bottom as the title suggests, you stated the canal depth is between 9ft-14ft and the canal has dropped 3ft, then that still leaves a depth of 6ft-11ft of water and if your draught is 2ft 6" that still leaves over 3ft of water under the boat, so I doubt your on the bottom, So in some respects she's right as the water would have to drop about 6ft 6" - 11ft 6" for you to be stuck on the bottom and that's a lot of water.

Your mathematics are faultless, but your knowledge of canals and the typical cross-sectional profile of the bed and the reduction in depth at the sides is laughable.

I do know the profile and the effects is silt and boat movement on the bed and yes the near and offside may not be 9ft up to 14ft centre channel, especially with the past oil tanker movement down that stretch, but the OP stated the depths, so is that 14ft centre channel and 9ft to bank???? Obviously not if he on the bottom, so the depth must be less then 6ft and up to 14ft if he is on the bottom after a 3ft drop. Is that better?

Edited by Northernboater

Why are people questioning Peterboat and doubting his predicament? Now some people are

resorting to mathematical calculus,get up there and make sure the boys are all right.

I would phone Bono or Bob Geldof but unfortunately the boys are white and English (JOKE)Happy?Arthur

Edited by CDS

Hmmmm. I think the meaning has been lost in the message. I think the measurements refer to canal bed to canal bank walking surface (where the dog pooh is kept).

9' bed to walking surface which includes say 3' water depth leaves 6' water surface to walking surface. Waterline to roofline is what? 5'-6'? So, allowing for errors in my estimates, that leaves us with a roofline/surface at or about the bank walking surface thus fitting in with the acceptable day-to-day usage. Remove the water and you get a drop of circa 3' to the roof. I don't fancy that particularly as it will be sloping to some degree and possibly wet.

I don't see what the problem is in accepting this situation to be true. Irrespective of the CAUSE, the resultant situation is entirely plausible.

When I moored in Yarmouth at the yacht station (I don't think you can any more) I sometimes had to sacrifice a chicken to be sure of not bouncing off my cabin roof having dropped down neigh on 5' from the lowest access point!

This morning I asked whether the water had risen enough (as seemed to be on the cards) for everyone to be back on their boats and thus for everyone, particularly the old boy, to be OK. Half a day and another page of posts later, we're no wiser as to whether rising water levels have eased the predicament, all we know is that the argument has deepened. Go figure, as the Americans would say.

Your mathematics are faultless, but your knowledge of canals and the typical cross-sectional profile of the bed and the reduction in depth at the sides is laughable.

cheers tony the sides of the canal are very shallow and where we are the sides are high because of piling that wasnt cut down level with the bank side. last night we got bill and dog back on board and today the water is at its highest level it gets to. next week crt will be more organized we hope loads of pumps at the ready etc

I do know the profile and the effects is silt and boat movement on the bed and yes the near and offside may not be 9ft up to 14ft centre channel, especially with the past oil tanker movement down that stretch, but the OP stated the depths, so is that 14ft centre channel and 9ft to bank???? Obviously not if he on the bottom, so the depth must be less then 6ft and up to 14ft if he is on the bottom after a 3ft drop. Is that better?

the tanker has in the past jammed on the bottom so spot dredging was carried out to relieve the problem. the 14 feet i refer to is in the winding hole. the canal is a real u section due to the tanker pushing the silt up under our boats. when we went down we were all sat down on the bottom we were at a fair angle and it wasnt comfortable on board

the tanker has in the past jammed on the bottom so spot dredging was carried out to relieve the problem. the 14 feet i refer to is in the winding hole. the canal is a real u section due to the tanker pushing the silt up under our boats. when we went down we were all sat down on the bottom we were at a fair angle and it wasnt comfortable on board

I remember when the water fell out of the top end of the Shroppie when the gates at Ellesmere Port failed. We all fell out of bed... very uncomfortable.

cheers tony the sides of the canal are very shallow and where we are the sides are high because of piling that wasnt cut down level with the bank side. last night we got bill and dog back on board and today the water is at its highest level it gets to. next week crt will be more organized we hope loads of pumps at the ready etc

I'm glad the water's back up and Bill and his dog are OK and back on board, but I'm not convinced that you've seen the last of this problem with keeping the level up, either on weir or close to it.

If the pumps they did get there eventually weren't enough to beat the leak, and the two turns of sluice / paddle that used to keep the water up had recently needed to be increased to being fully open to maintain a level, then that sounds to me as though the leak had begun to get a lot worse just before the stoppage started.

They shouldn't have gone down to anymore than 10 feet when the spot-dredging was done, and going down to 14 feet in the wide hole, and maybe further along nearer to the overspill weir where the river is so close to the cut, may have started a small amount of seepage out through the bed which could now be washing itself out and getting bigger.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I'm glad the water's back up and Bill and his dog are OK and back on board, but I'm not convinced that you've seen the last of this problem with keeping the level up, either on weir or close to it.

If the pumps they did get there eventually weren't enough to beat the leak, and the two turns of sluice / paddle that used to keep the water up had recently needed to be increased to being fully open to maintain a level, then that sounds to me as though the leak had begun to get a lot worse just before the stoppage started.

They shouldn't have gone down to anymore than 10 feet when the spot-dredging was done, and going down to 14 feet in the wide hole, especially where the river is so close to the cut, may have started a small amount of seepage out through the bed which could now be washing itself out and getting bigger.

the biggest pump failed in the night so we have our fingers crossed for next week but yes we have been having to open the paddles wider more often

To drop that length by 3ft is a massive loss of water to those that know that stretch, it would effect the Eastwood boats far substantially then the Tulleys boats, Is there anyone on here that can confirm the drop? Anyone at Eastwood? As there are some big keels at Eastwood especially the ex Waddingtons boats and that is a mooring site run by CaRT not a private mooring run by Tilley.

Edited by Northernboater

To drop that length by 3ft is a massive loss of water to those that know that stretch, it would effect the Eastwood boats far substantially then the Tulleys boats, Is there anyone on here that can confirm the drop? Anyone at Eastwood? As there are some big keels at Eastwood especially the ex Waddingtons boats and that is a mooring site run by CaRT not a private mooring run by Tilley.

no it affects us more than them our bank side is higher than theres also waddingtons has now sold or cut up most of his boats the few that were left there are privately owned. also to get onto their boats you mostly go up hill so now they are stepping onto them. i was chatting to a friend from there yesterday and they were not told by notice either. the problem of posting on the internet is you normally check before a trip for problems or stoppages not for daily life. as an aside tulleys must have 3 times the number of boats that eastwood has

Hope it gets fixed soon, have they started putting new gates in yet, as it is all supposed to be finished beginning of December? It is not looking good for the Tinsley flight locks starting January as they are on about doing 6-8 lock gates if the can't get these right as you say

its not going to finish on time they have only removed and cut up the old gates they havent even started fitting the new ones which are different to the old ones the carpenter on site explained to me but it seems to be a long job to mod them. also there is damage to the lock that was not know about that needs repairing first. the problems with the pumps and levels last week became the focus of attention rather than the lock which is a shame but for people here levels are important its no good stepping onto the roof of your boat then climbing down the side at some point someone will fall off and land in the mud help.gif thanks for your well wishes