on the bottom

peterboat

Featured Posts

Maybe the best thing to do would be to stop the works, restore the level, allow the boaters affected to move into a different pound, then recommence the works? Any estimate of the additional time/cost this would be though? Did they honestly give NO indication the works nearby MIGHT affect the water level, to the boaters who are now without the water beneath them? No knocking on boats etc?

Maybe the best thing to do would be to stop the works, restore the level, allow the boaters affected to move into a different pound, then recommence the works? Any estimate of the additional time/cost this would be though? Did they honestly give NO indication the works nearby MIGHT affect the water level, to the boaters who are now without the water beneath them? No knocking on boats etc?

nothing at all was done paul, people were ringing the emergency number over the weekend as they did not know the locks were being replaced at rotherham and were out of action at eastwood [200 foot long 21 feet wide electric locks]. the pumps failed again last night so today high command is thinking of lifting some of the stop boards to restore the level over the weekend. i got this from the horses mouth at the lock so fingers crossed levels will be going up shortly. they also have problems at the lock with unforseen damage which is going to set back work even further. my suggestion of installing a bywash is well received so they might try to do it at the same time fingers crossed and all that

Yeah I think if they've tried but can't maintain a level (while there's boats floating and at risk of property damage) with their pumps, they need to "abort" and restore the level by reversing the works so far, then allowing those boats to move. Then plan B might involve allowing the particular pound to drain. I know obviously the boaters are much more important, but sometimes they do a fish move too.

From your tone you are just using this as an excuse to have another pop at CRT.

I expect had they not done the work you would be complaining about lack of maintenance instead frusty.gif

The guy has no water underneath his boat, due to their negligence! One thing I know about boats is they need water underneath them, they don't float so well on dry land.

From your tone you are just using this as an excuse to have another pop at CRT.

I expect had they not done the work you would be complaining about lack of maintenance instead frusty.gif

this is not another pop at crt they are suppose to be competent all it would have taken was notice on boats that water levels might be going down. you really annoy me and others by what you say, an old man has had to spend 2 nights with his dog in his car its cold given suitable warning this wouldnt have happened. from my point of view whilst doing this work a bywash should be installed to automatically control the levels, has this been done no. the guys doing the work say it should have been done but as usual the people making these decisions dont have boat so dont know the problems.

on the point of moving we cant to many boats and no safe mooring on the rivers if i had known i would have moved mine to the next section of navigation beforehand, but that would have left others with the same problems.

Yeah I think if they've tried but can't maintain a level (while there's boats floating and at risk of property damage) with their pumps, they need to "abort" and restore the level by reversing the works so far, then allowing those boats to move. Then plan B might involve allowing the particular pound to drain. I know obviously the boaters are much more important, but sometimes they do a fish move too.

they cant reverse the works so far, the old lock gates have been chopped up the new ones are different so require much work to fit them. they are waiting for permission to remove some of the stop boards to allow a flow of water through to restore the level over the weekend. then monday they will start again to sort out this mess

nothing at all was done paul, people were ringing the emergency number over the weekend as they did not know the locks were being replaced at rotherham and were out of action at eastwood [200 foot long 21 feet wide electric locks]. the pumps failed again last night so today high command is thinking of lifting some of the stop boards to restore the level over the weekend. i got this from the horses mouth at the lock so fingers crossed levels will be going up shortly. they also have problems at the lock with unforseen damage which is going to set back work even further. my suggestion of installing a bywash is well received so they might try to do it at the same time fingers crossed and all that

The stoppage notice has been issued many times by CRT.

I have had the email at least 3 times.

Yeah but only by the internet - which isn't 100% assured to reach all. There was no hard copy notices, and no personal visits or notices placed on boats or anywhere nearby. In my area, stoppage notices are often placed in prominent positions such as notice boards, lock balance beams, a bridge/etc at junctions. Its not complicated to do this and not cost burdensome. This wasn't done here.

Yeah but only by the internet - which isn't 100% assured to reach all. There was no hard copy notices, and no personal visits or notices placed on boats or anywhere nearby. In my area, stoppage notices are often placed in prominent positions such as notice boards, lock balance beams, a bridge/etc at junctions. Its not complicated to do this and not cost burdensome. This wasn't done here.

It isn't done everywhere. Certainly many of our local stoppages this year have had no paper notices and have relied on the stoppage emails.

I find it had to believe that not a single local boater didn't know that this stoppage was due to happen when so many emails have been issued.

It isn't done everywhere. Certainly many of our local stoppages this year have had no paper notices and have relied on the stoppage emails.

I find it had to believe that not a single local boater didn't know that this stoppage was due to happen when so many emails have been issued.

I find it easy to believe - I've not questioned it at all.

bill is 80 odd years old he lives without power the internet is something that goes around fish when you are fishing.

the patrol officer is down here all the time how hard would it have been to bring notices also how hard would it have been to have pumps in ready for the water drop. work it out where has all that water gone we are talking of thousands and thousands of cubic meters in a couple of days thats even with all the pumps running.

you dont live on your boat to some people it is their home and when you come up with silly suggestions it winds people up any way the stopboards have been lifted and water flows in next week they will be more prepared

• Greenie 1

If the water is as deep as you claim it is and the level is only down 3ft, why not just push the boats out a bit and loosen their ropes to stop them listing?

Yeah rightclapping.gif

bill is 80 odd years old he lives without power the internet is something that goes around fish when you are fishing.

the patrol officer is down here all the time how hard would it have been to bring notices also how hard would it have been to have pumps in ready for the water drop. work it out where has all that water gone we are talking of thousands and thousands of cubic meters in a couple of days thats even with all the pumps running.

you dont live on your boat to some people it is their home and when you come up with silly suggestions it winds people up any way the stopboards have been lifted and water flows in next week they will be more prepared

Well said sir,it gets a bit tiresome

• Greenie 1

Going off topic,sorry.

We are on the Satffs & Worcs. we were forewarned there was a tree clocking, blocking even, the canal about half a mile ahead. We arrived, and sure enough there was a tree blocking passage.

I called CRT, and was informed that they were aware and that it would be done later today or more likely tomorrow. Ugh!

Within fifteen minutes a van pulls up near the bridge where we were able to moor. Out jumps tree fellas (three altogether), with rope, chainsaws and other equipment. The rather large tree was gone and the canal open again in half an hour.

I calledCRT back and thanked all concerned for their speedy response.

The lass on the phone was pleasantly surprised that I had taken the bother to call back.

Thought it worth mentioning.

Ah, yes.

I reported that at about 1030 or threabouts. We got over it at the towpath end by motoring as hard as we could. That didn't quite work we came to a stop with the tree aboout 2/3rds of the way down the boat. I got out the trust block and tackle (2 fold therefore a velocity ration of 5 when rove to advantage) and use the convenient post on the other side of Queen's Head Bridge as an anchoring point. Five mins late we were though.

Nick

The lack of attention to the fundamental need to maintain water levels in navigations is rife throughout all C&RT waterways.

In an attempt to create the impression that they understand, or even care about, the need to have sufficient water in canals they have recently published a Water Resources Strategy 2015-2020 document consisting of 35 pages of pictures, tables, charts and meaningless waffle. The irrelevance and pointlessness of this has become even more apparent following what's happened in Rotherham over the last few days.

If C&RT can't grasp the simple fact that to maintain the water level in a short length of canal, you have to run in a quantity equal to that which is leaking out, what are the chances they can either understand or implement the measures needed to keep the whole system adequately supplied for the next 5 years?

Keeping canals full of water is a relatively simple procedure which, prior to the advent of the disaster that is C&RT, has been learned and practiced successfully for around the last two Centuries.

I assume that as you are so concerned about Bill that you have offered him a bed for the evening instead of him sleeping in his car?

I assume that as you are so concerned about Bill that you have offered him a bed for the evening instead of him sleeping in his car?

stop trying to be clever you are only digging yourself into a deeper hole my boat is at the same level as bills which if you had thought about it you could have worked it out for yourself. so logic dictates if he cant get in his he cant get in mine. i am checking the levels and as soon as it is up enough we will get bill and his dog in his boat good night

CRT have issued another pair of notices today.

If you can post on here you can find them to see what their intentions are and inform your computer illiterate friends.

You should be ashamed.

• Greenie 2

Good luck up there tonight mate,wish you were closer you could have my boat for the night

cheers mate i am still young enough to just step onto the roof of my boat and climb down onto the gunnels, bills however is an old springer and his roof is below the towpath so him and his dog dont have that option. i will be checking the levels shortly to see if he can get in

you should be ashamed.

Not really.

The relevant notices were issued and continue to be issued by Crt. Yet people still whinge and complain.

CRT are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

No doubt if work wasn't carried out they would be crying lack of maintenance instead.

A 3ft change in water level isn't really catastrophic on a waterway with a depth of upto 14ft, according to the OP.

If people can't moor in a fashion that takes account of a change in water level in water that deep, there is something amiss.

cheers mate i am still young enough to just step onto the roof of my boat and climb down onto the gunnels, bills however is an old springer and his roof is below the towpath so him and his dog dont have that option. i will be checking the levels shortly to see if he can get in

If the water level is only 3ft down then surely his deck is always below bank level at normal levels.

Not really.

The relevant notices were issued and continue to be issued by Crt. Yet people still whinge and complain.

CRT are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

No doubt if work wasn't carried out they would be crying lack of maintenance instead.

A 3ft change in water level isn't really catastrophic on a waterway with a depth of upto 14ft, according to the OP.

If people can't moor in a fashion that takes account of a change in water level in water that deep, there is something amiss.

give it a rest please we arnt in yogurt pots the water went down overnight so the boats were aground when we woke up. my boat weighs 30 tons not two pounds so getting it off the bottom isnt as easy as moving yours. as you know the middle of the canal is deep the sides arnt so the gangplanks might have to be very long and very steep, a sure fire way of an 80 year old to have an accident.

you are making yourself look very silly with these stupid remarks maybe it would be better if you didnt comment on stuff that is clearly far to difficult for you to comprehend

• Greenie 1

So the water isn't as you say in your first ranting post?

Just another chance to have a dig at CRT then?

And clearly your description can not be relied on as the water level was only down 3ft, the boats are now sat on the bottom yet this guys Springer roof is now below bank level!

Edited by Naughty Cal