disconnecting backboiler and still use stove

Bump and Grind

Featured Posts

Hi All

Being new to narrowboating, I have found I have a lot to learn. I have a stove with a backboiler to heat one radiator using a themo-syphen system (doesn't work very well). I don't need to heat the end of the boat, so what I want to know is - If I drain and disconnect the pipes at the back of the stove (probably remove them altogether), can I still use the stove as normal?

Wooo. My vote would be 'no' 'cos the steel header tank could get red hot and send some of that heat out along the exposed pipe.

Don't rely on this - get 37 other opinions first!

(you should get those within the hour!)

I'm thinking you could remove the header tank altogether, and blank off the holes with some metal plate and a bolt, and then run your stove.

BUT then it would be missing its internal baffle (which was the tank) so I wouldn't run the stove hot.

IMHO!

Edited by Loafer

Depends on the stove. If it's one where the back boiler is simply attached to the back (like this one https://www.woodburningstovesandflues.co.uk/Villager/AddInBoiler?zenid=de24668fce059dc884582840ca795a45) thenno issue.

If its one where the back boiler forms part of the stove's back (or even the whole of it) then there may be an issue but I doubt it.

I drain my back boiler down in spring and have fires generally on cold evenings been doing this for 4 years with no problem had fires september and most of October this year put back boiler back into use start of November radiators lovely and warm.

I think my only worry would be that without any water inside, the backboiler (which unlike the rest of the metal in the stove is only made of thin gauge steel), might overheat and deform. That's why I suggested filling it with sand on the other thread. Of course that would mean it couldn't be refilled, so if I didn't fill it with sand I'd definitely put a firebrick in front of it.

• Greenie 1

. That's why I suggested filling it with sand on the other thread. Of course that would mean it couldn't be refilled, so if I didn't fill it with sand I'd definitely put a firebrick in front of it.

I was about t suggest that, filling it with sand is something builders used to do in houses when central heating took over from back boilers.

K

The Squirrel back boiler is not made of thin sheet.

I have got four of them sitting here, they are heavy, probably 5 mm plate. There is no reason not to leave in place and use the stove as normal. Put a thin fire brick or price of plate at the back if you want to stop it burning away .

Well I guess the backboiler in my Morso stove must also be made of the same gauge steel - never had it out so I didn't know. However, 5mm is still thinner compared to the other parts of the stove that are in direct contact with the fire which is why I also suggested putting something in front of it.

Edited by blackrose

Not sure if I contributed to other thread or not.

However the Villager Heron we had in our last boat (now sold) always had a steel back boiler in it, but was never connected to anything. The two threaded connection pipes on the back were just left protruding and open.

We used it as a stand alone fire for 10 years with no ill effects from this arrangement.

Mind you the Heron is an all steel stove, and these seem less prone to damage than cast iron ones if they get very hot. I suppose it is possible that a cast iron stove with a back boiler that does not have water circulating through it might not take well to the extra heat.

What make and model of stove do you have, please?