Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND!

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

WE HAVE JUST RECEIVED A TELEPHONE CALL STATING THAT THERE IS A RUMOUR GOING AROUND THAT HOLLY HAS BEEN FOUND ON THE OXFORD CANAL HIDING AMONGST SOME GYPSY BOATS.

WE KNOW NOTHING OF THIS AT ALL AND CAN NOT CONFIRM THIS.

AS FAR AS WE ARE CONCERNED HOLLY IS STILL MISSING

TRISH

Have been to Foxton this evening - no sign of Holly either side of the locks of along the Market Harborough arm as far as Foxton village.

I think the post from Graham a while ago was a good one - we should have a co-ordinated appraoch. With the weekend coming up perhaps we could all offer to do a section of canal each and co-ordinate where we'll all be so as not to duplicate. We'll be picking our boat up Saturday from Hilmorton and can do the Hilmorton to Newbold-on-Avon stretch of the Oxford. Is there a way of plotting the sections of canal covered on an interatctive map? I'm not technical - don't know if such a thing is possible.

evening guys & girls,

i've got a spare weekend (where i should really be sanding and painting Ghostrider's slightly rusty well deck..!!) so i might take a ride out to Coventry and Nuneaton, maybe have a nose round Hawkesbury Junction and down towards Rugby... come to think of it, the Ashby would be nice long remote lock-free stretch to hide in.. 22 miles of it to be exact...i wonder if he's down there?

reason being (if i've read it right), Tullz posted that they were going towards Foxton from Hillmorton, and that Blue Holly was facing the other way.. that would mean Holly was heading towards Rugby and Coventry.. or possibly the Ashby..

what do you guys think?

best regards

Dodgy Dave of Ocker Hill

'Make Mine A Magners'

Unfortunately, I can't remember where abouts it was. I've spoken to Trisha and given her as much as I can remember. I was on holiday and only looking out for the original coloured Holly.

We were going upstream (if that's the correct term going towards Foxton from hillmorton) and she was facing downstream.

I can't be any clearer I'm afraid. :lol:

Here is another theory. After leaving Itchington bottom lock Mr King equipped himself with several copies of The Big Issue and two RSPCC collection tins, these powerful magic tokens are proven to render the bearer totally invisible. He used these to hide himself as he waited until a 50' narrowboat crewed by a bunch of 18/30s moored up whilst the crew went to the pub for a quick drink. As soon as they departed he dashed over and, using all the skills he has as a painter and decorator, he cut the boat into 3 pieces. Next he cut Holly in two and cut and shut the 40' middle piece into her to make a 90' boat. Working fast he stuck the remaining bow and stern together to form a new 10' boat, knowing that the crew would be rather worse for drink when they returned and would not notice the difference (when they did they decided that they had lost a bit in one of he locks and went back for another drink). His next cunning move was to camouflage the 90' boat by painting it purple with yellow go faster (7mph) stripes, knowing full well that 80% of people just won't notice it at all, 10% will not believe their eyes and just ignore it, 5% will think “nice boat” and the remainder will decide that they had a really “bad” pint in the last pub.

To alert him to the approach of any BW officials he has probably linked a very sophisticated CCTV system to the NEC SX-8 supercomputer that he bought for 49p in a boat jumble. Whenever a member of BW staff comes within 250 yards of 90' Holly the system sounds a siren that he has tuned to a pitch only he can hear. This gives him plenty of time to place copies of the Big Issue over the superstructure and one of the collection tins on the bow and stern, thus cloaking 90' Holly like a Klingon Bird of Prey.

He gets the 90' boat through the locks by opening both upper and lower gates at once and using the flow to waft him through. Going uphill is no problem due to mighty power of the old Rolls Royce Merlin engine he added between lunch and his mid afternoon nap one day. As for food, drink, diesel and gas etc. no problem, he simply gets his old mate Lord Lucan to bring them round when he takes Shirgar out for a morning canter.

Probably the only danger he is in is being swamped by the wash of one of the Russian submarines that secretly use our canal system at night to spy on David Cameron. (Just a joke, since the end of the cold war the Russians buy their licences just like the rest of us, they are easily spotted because they have a little red hammer and sickle just under the BW number; and just like the rest of the world they are not really interested in David C.)

Well, it is as plausible as some of the others!!!!!!

:lol::blink::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::unsure::cloud9::wub::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, as the guy who saw blue Holly I know well that it is a serious thing, but I felt a little humour might raise morale and give those helpful people who are actively going out to search a smile to help them as they go.

hi malc,

maybe Mr King has converted it into a U-Boat and is only coming upto periscope depth at night to snorkel and recharge his batteries?

perhaps his part is being played by an Arran-sweater wearing Jurgens Prochnow in the style of the Kapitain in Das Boot?

i wonder does he have German subtitles following him around? or will i need a Collins Gem German Dictionary should i spot him this weekend?

LOL :lol::blink::clapping::clapping::clapping:

dODgY dAVe oF OcKer hILL

'MAKE MINE A MAGNERS'

Here is another theory. After leaving Itchington bottom lock Mr King equipped himself with several copies of The Big Issue and two RSPCC collection tins, these powerful magic tokens are proven to render the bearer totally invisible. He used these to hide himself as he waited until a 50' narrowboat crewed by a bunch of 18/30s moored up whilst the crew went to the pub for a quick drink. As soon as they departed he dashed over and, using all the skills he has as a painter and decorator, he cut the boat into 3 pieces. Next he cut Holly in two and cut and shut the 40' middle piece into her to make a 90' boat. Working fast he stuck the remaining bow and stern together to form a new 10' boat, knowing that the crew would be rather worse for drink when they returned and would not notice the difference (when they did they decided that they had lost a bit in one of he locks and went back for another drink). His next cunning move was to camouflage the 90' boat by painting it purple with yellow go faster (7mph) stripes, knowing full well that 80% of people just won't notice it at all, 10% will not believe their eyes and just ignore it, 5% will think “nice boat” and the remainder will decide that they had a really “bad” pint in the last pub.

To alert him to the approach of any BW officials he has probably linked a very sophisticated CCTV system to the NEC SX-8 supercomputer that he bought for 49p in a boat jumble. Whenever a member of BW staff comes within 250 yards of 90' Holly the system sounds a siren that he has tuned to a pitch only he can hear. This gives him plenty of time to place copies of the Big Issue over the superstructure and one of the collection tins on the bow and stern, thus cloaking 90' Holly like a Klingon Bird of Prey.

He gets the 90' boat through the locks by opening both upper and lower gates at once and using the flow to waft him through. Going uphill is no problem due to mighty power of the old Rolls Royce Merlin engine he added between lunch and his mid afternoon nap one day. As for food, drink, diesel and gas etc. no problem, he simply gets his old mate Lord Lucan to bring them round when he takes Shirgar out for a morning canter.

Probably the only danger he is in is being swamped by the wash of one of the Russian submarines that secretly use our canal system at night to spy on David Cameron. (Just a joke, since the end of the cold war the Russians buy their licences just like the rest of us, they are easily spotted because they have a little red hammer and sickle just under the BW number; and just like the rest of the world they are not really interested in David C.)

Well, it is as plausible as some of the others!!!!!!

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::unsure::cloud9::wub::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, as the guy who saw blue Holly I know well that it is a serious thing, but I felt a little humour might raise morale and give those helpful people who are actively going out to search a smile to help them as they go.

Trish - I wasn't for a minute suggesting you've not been doing all you can. And I fully appreciate you'll be rushed off your feet keeping the rest of the company up and running.

I was just wondering if giving too lads a small inflatable with outboard, and 200 quid each would get them searching for you.

I know just how many miles of waterways are inaccessable by anything other than a boat.....even walking the banks can find you missing hiding places.

I'm fairly sure poor Mr King just wants to hide for a bit......most likely from life itself. There must be many other issues in his life at the moment that we don't know about. I'm also fairly sure he's not a 'thief' i.e. doesn't want the boat to sell and make a bit of easy money....just can't cope with the everyday hassles.

Hi Trish,

I have been reading about the missing Holly with interest for some time. Although I am reluctant to add further to the speculation surrounding the subject, the time that has now passed since the boat was "hired" has led me to post this message.

I hope I have not duplicated any previous theories or ideas that have already been posted. If I have I have missed them and apologise.

The strangest factor about this (which clearly most members agree with), is the payment that was made, car left, personal details left etc, ie all that would be expected of a proper hirer. This goes completely against the theory that Mr King was doing it to steal and then paint the boat. Doesnt make sense. However what would make sense is if Mr King was a normal hirer and then was attacked, disposed of and the assailants then doing the stealing & the re-painting. I note that a body was found in the Birmingham & Fazeley canal on 10th April. This would fit in with both the timing and possible cruising area of Mr King. (Question, was this body identified & has its records been checked against the known details of Mr King?)

Just one other point, a phone call was made to you about "a gentleman" reporting seeing someone looking like Mr King near bridge 61 at Foxton. Did this person identify themself and ensure it was a genuine report or was it a deliberate attempt by the thief to throw off any search by getting everybody to look elsewhere across the system to the correct location?

Anyway I wish you every success in finding Holly and my admiration goes out to all those members who are taking the trouble to get out to help and assist.

from uk.rec.waterways...

http://www.pbase.com/timlewis/image/77427085&exif=Y

This appears to be "blue holly" at Hatton, but taken on 28/3, not 29/3.

Not nearly as much detail as on the earlier picture, but it does show;

1) A man stood by the boat - can we confirm that this is Mr King

2) A bike on the roof - so he will probably be shopping away from the canal

The story has just been on the North West News on BBC 1, both before and after photos and a photgraph of Mr King were shown. Hopefully the story will be shown again later and also in the other regions.

Steve

So if he didn't already know how big the hunt was, he will very soon.

Does he also know that with the vast following and media frenzy for stories (just look at the number viewing this thread) he'll be able to sell his and retire, paying all do's and buying the boat as well.......

evening guys & girls,

i've got a spare weekend (where i should really be sanding and painting Ghostrider's slightly rusty well deck..!!) so i might take a ride out to Coventry and Nuneaton, maybe have a nose round Hawkesbury Junction and down towards Rugby... come to think of it, the Ashby would be nice long remote lock-free stretch to hide in.. 22 miles of it to be exact...i wonder if he's down there?

reason being (if i've read it right), Tullz posted that they were going towards Foxton from Hillmorton, and that Blue Holly was facing the other way.. that would mean Holly was heading towards Rugby and Coventry.. or possibly the Ashby..

what do you guys think?

best regards

Dodgy Dave of Ocker Hill

'Make Mine A Magners'

Blimey! Have any of you been down the Ashby lately?

It's like the bloody M1

I shall take a trip this weekend from Stoke Golding to "cut end" at Snarestone

Let's hope for a speedy resoloution

BOATIE

from uk.rec.waterways...

I should also add that the bike is not apparent on the other Blue Holly picture.

Does this suggest that Mr King has a travelling companion who was not aboard when malc took his picture?

reason being (if i've read it right), Tullz posted that they were going towards Foxton from Hillmorton, and that Blue Holly was facing the other way..

The picture of blue Holly has just been on the North west news (BBC TV), it's facing the same way as the cruiser its sharing the lock with.

The picture of blue Holly has just been on the North west news (BBC TV), it's facing the same way as the cruiser its sharing the lock with.

why would you share a lock with a boat going in the opposite direction? unless you were passing in a stair case

why would you share a lock with a boat going in the opposite direction? unless you were passing in a stair case

Unless we are talking about different pictures, it's going the same way, some one said it was going the opposite direction.

This picture now has the cruiser edited out, but the BBC have the original.

Edited by Albatross

from uk.rec.waterways...

Hi all!

Newbie here,

I've been following this thread for several days. I'm finding it very interesting.

My comment has to do with this picture - it is not your run-of the-mill-picture - it looks as though it was taken on the quiet. Like maybe someone knew that the person on the boat might spot them so they had to be quick and sneaky.

Could be nothing. Could just be the workings of suspicious mind (mine?) dunno.

Sorry, but it's like watching an edge-of-your-seat action film - in slow motion. You want to get to the end - but then you would feel it's absence when it's gone.

Ya'll are a great bunch of people - I have been enjoying the sense of community that you emote.

I too hope for Holly's speedy and safe return, and although I feel a bit like she's been kidnapped, i too feel that Mr King has lost his way - I hope the situation is resolved in the best possible way for all parties concerned - but i want it now. I want Holly home. I want her green and red again and i want her cratch restored..

:lol:

Well, naturally.

I didn't see North west news (don't live in that area) but would asdsume that this is the picture of Holly in Hatton lock (unedited to remove the other boat) that has been posted here in the past - i.e. the "blue" Holly. That picture was taken on the 28th or 29th March heading down Hatton. To have been seen later, coming towards them, by a boat going bfrom Hillmorton towards Foxton would suggest that Holly's route from Hatton was to turn towards Braunston at Napton junction (rather than towards Oxford) and the onto the North Oxford canal at Braunston. He could therefore be heading back north via the Coventry and Trent and Mersey - or indeed be somewhere up the Ashby as has also been suggested.

Oh, to hell with it - he could be anywhere, we just all need to get out there and look.

Given that Mr King has painted the boat once already, he could well have painted it again. Suggest that we should be looking for any boat of 47ft length that has been freshly painted. The length cannot change (if we discount Malc1110's suggestion - nice one Malc).

Graham

P.S. Nothing around Foxton this morning

P.P.S. Given the apparant quality of the paint job he has done on Holly, when Mr King finally gets caught, he can paint my boat.

P.P.S. Given the apparant quality of the paint job he has done on Holly, when Mr King finally gets caught, he can paint my boat.

Maybe part of his community service punishment (when caught) should be to paint the whole of Middlewich's fleet........

But keep the ignition keys in the office.

Hi

We have just heard that there has been a possible sighting of Blue Holly and Mr King around the Banbury area on the Oxford Canal.

Can any boaters in this area, please keep an eye out for him and report any sightings immediately.

Trish

Yeech!!!! I cannot believe some of the things I read on here. I will clear up a couple of points. 1) As we went down the flight we got a routine going in which Dave would go ahead and prepare the next lock, my wife would look after the boats in the current lock and I would go back to close the previous lock. This worked very well. As many of you know there is a fair distance between some of the locks, at these Dave cycled between them, using, guess what, A BIKE, also some of the time he put the bike into the front well. No doubt he did this to avoid it being shown in any photo!!!!! :lol: This explains why some pics show bikes and some don't. 2) During the descent we were watched by many walkers, hikers and cyclists, several of these took photos of the flight and some of these will have us in them, none of them were taken covertly or sneakily. The picture that has recently appeared shows lock 33 and must have been taken before mine as mine was taken much nearer the bottom of the flight. I think its a rather good picture of a boat and lock gear, clearly the photographer has an artistic trait. It may, of course, be a cropped part of a bigger picture showing only the relevant bits.

Hi all!

My comment has to do with this picture - it is not your run-of the-mill-picture - it looks as though it was taken on the quiet. Like maybe someone knew that the person on the boat might spot them so they had to be quick and sneaky.

Tim Lewis said of his picture:

"PS I don't normally take such crap pictures, I just snapped the lock number so that I could accurately label my other photos!"

HTH

John

nine9feet