Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND!

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

Well over 14,000 views of this topic. Amazing that this boat hasn't been located yet with all the people who are aware that it's missing, and are looking out for it.

Maybe this weekend, with the lovely weather we're promised (well, we can only hope!) will bring more people out onto the cut, hopefully aware that this boat is missing. Let's hope we can get a successful end to this before too long.

Janet

Apparently lockeepers at Watford record all the boat names and numbers now, so if Holly is on that section it will have been logged at Watford, I suspect this also means that boats are logged at Foxton as well so it should be easy to see where the boat is.

We have not seen anyone from BW on the last three occasions that we passed through Watford flight and last year we ascended Foxton without seeing any BW staff on duty - although I think that they were then in a big conference at the newly opened pub . . .

We have not seen anyone from BW on the last three occasions that we passed through Watford flight and last year we ascended Foxton without seeing any BW staff on duty - although I think that they were then in a big conference at the newly opened pub . . .

They are not manned over the winter period, but they normally are from around a couple of weeks ago till next winter. (if it is the same as previous years). And they are locked at night.

They were making notes of boat names and numbers last week for all the boats that were going through.

I still get the feeling that something doesn't quite add up on this whole saga.

Now if you wanted to steal a hire boat, you wouldn't leave your credit card details, correct name and your car at the hire base. But if you were not trying to steal the boat, why would you hide? There has been considerable publicity about this over the last couple of weeks, yet apparently there have been no properly confirmed sightings of the boat in question. It took a while for Cragdale to be spotted, but the 'hirers' of that boat were deliberately trying to hide. Would you try and get away with stealing a boat when everyone knows who you are? Some have suggested that the guy may have cracked up, or got his dates wrong; so why hasn't the boat been spotted - it is after all a fairly distinctive boat.

Something fishy methinks!

I still get the feeling that something doesn't quite add up on this whole saga.

Yeah, it is just soo odd!

Leaving the car/creditdetails/family/etc and being a regular hirer.

- Not beeing seen for AGES, even when its sunny and everyones our looking for it.

- It just doesnt make sence at all.

Daniel

Yeah, it is just soo odd!

Leaving the car/creditdetails/family/etc and being a regular hirer.

- Not beeing seen for AGES, even when its sunny and everyones our looking for it.

- It just doesnt make sence at all.

Daniel

Now everyones beginning to think the whole thing's odd, not just me. We're overlooking something.

Can I ask everyone to think of possible places that one could hide a narrowboat. I mean there arent many places, so one wouldnt really think that a narrowboat could be hidden. But there must be somewhere where this kind of possibility can occur. The longer this goes on the less chance of the boat being found. For all I know we have already passed that point. Perhaps our two previous successes (Cragdale and the other one) have erroneously led us to think that it's so easy to sus out missing narrowboats. It only takes a different set-up to destroy that assumpton.

Edited by fender

Both locks were manned when we went through last week and Carley at Watford was logging boats.

I can't help but think this is not going to have a happy ending, I do hope I'm wrong.

At work we had a guy +50's who just disappeared over a weekend - 3 months later hes been found in a commune near Bristol but has told the Police he does'nt want to be found. He left a house (mortgage paid off) a very good job, expensive car/clothes etc etc and just walked away from his life. There was also another guy recently went to Tescos to get petrol got out of his car and completely forgot why he was there. he simply walked away and left the car there and walked home claiming later he had no car.

If hes been away all this time surely he must be using his bank account?? Cannot the Police track his movements from that?

I can't help but think this is not going to have a happy ending, I do hope I'm wrong.

At work we had a guy +50's who just disappeared over a weekend - 3 months later hes been found in a commune near Bristol but has told the Police he does'nt want to be found. He left a house (mortgage paid off) a very good job, expensive car/clothes etc etc and just walked away from his life. There was also another guy recently went to Tescos to get petrol got out of his car and completely forgot why he was there. he simply walked away and left the car there and walked home claiming later he had no car.

If hes been away all this time surely he must be using his bank account?? Cannot the Police track his movements from that?

Some years ago we had a chap who hired a boat and went off single handed (with dog) on a boat. Later the dog was noticed sitting under a tree and the body of the hirer was found dead near by. The body was naked and it was later found that he had been dead for two days.

Although the police were somewhat reticent the strange story finally came out...That the chap was a cop on special leave (but quite normal according to the police) and that his known hobbies were boating, naked rambling and climbing trees!

The police deduced that he had left his boat on an early morning ramble with his dog and, having passed through one hamlet and crossed the odd main road he had climbed a tree to look at the view. From the tree he fell, killing himself and the dog then sat beside the body for over 36 hours until it was discovered.

Real life is often stranger than fiction.

I am surprised it wasnt found on the Easter weekend when the canals were busy. there are bits of the network that dont get used much, there must be locks that no one has been through for months. If the boat has been stolen it might not be on the canal.

If it was an accident I would have expected the boat to be found by now if it was still afloat.

Now everyones beginning to think the whole thing's odd, not just me. We're overlooking something.

Can I ask everyone to think of possible places that one could hide a narrowboat. I mean there arent many places, so one wouldnt really think that a narrowboat could be hidden. But there must be somewhere where this kind of possibility can occur. The longer this goes on the less chance of the boat being found. For all I know we have already passed that point. Perhaps our two previous successes (Cragdale and the other one) have erroneously led us to think that it's so easy to sus out missing narrowboats. It only takes a different set-up to destroy that assumpton.

Hiding a narrowboat... Unchanged Holly, having been seen near Brum might hide on the upper Avon above Evesham (where her licence would be checked). There are places on there. Most other rivers are possibilities BUT they have manned locks that the boat would have to pass through.

With a new licence, name and a bit of painting Holly could hide on the canals - especially round Braunston where a new boat in one of the many marinas could blend in. Of course with a large tarpaulin and an end of field/garden mooring she could hide anywhere for a time.

Another way to hide the boat, especially on a river, would be by sinking her - either accidentally or on purpose.

Hi

Trish here - Middlewich Narrowboats.

Sorry, I didnt get chance to update everyone yesterday. As soon as the story went National the telephone just never stopped ringing. GMTV are now considering a piece on Monday.

Really, I have no more news - we had 'sightings' from as far afield as Altrincham to the River Thames, although we did have one lady who phoned to say that she is sure she saw Holly over the Easter weekend near to Foxton!! This ties in with others - obviously there is a boat called Holly somewhere in the vicinity, we just need to find out whether it is ours. There is some doubt because the lady said the boat she saw was Green and cream (although of course it could have been painted). If anybody sees (or has) a boat called Holly in that area - could they please let us know so that we can eliminate that area?

Many Thanks to everyone - have a lovely weekend

Trish

There is some doubt because the lady said the boat she saw was Green and cream (although of course it could have been painted).

Hi Trish,

Could the cream and green "Holly" have been this one? Perhaps contact the seller to see if it was in the Foxton area to rule it out?

Phil

Wow!! that was quick. I will have to look into it. Thanks a lot.

Trish

Hi Trish, Over the last two weekends myself and another member Simon045 have been checking out various stretches of the Peak Forest and the Basins along it's length. Sadly there has been no sign of the missing Nb Holly. Last evening we checked out Whaley Bridge and Buxworth Basin. We found no freshly painted boats only one or two with expired licenses on display. We will keep looking ok.

Norman H.

Either this boat is somewhere not yet searched ( with a fair few erroneous sightings )

Or it has some form of intermittent camaflage.

If it is moving on the canals somone is being evasive and clever, which contrasts with the evident lack of planning in the first place.

One disturbed personality perhaps, or maybe two sane ones with different purposes.

If the later, what has happened to the original hirer?

The plot could be quite entertainting if it were not for the now likely reality of mental or physical distress.

Could the boat be moving at night?

Or concealed at times by tarpalins or similar?

It must have stopped for water a few times, fuel and pumpouts at least once

Trish,

I believe that Ivor and Mel Batchelor aboard Mountbatten (and it's butty) moved their Diesel/Coal business from Braunston onto the Leicester Line last year, your man might have re-fuelled from their boat rather than risking a boat yard - I'm sure that BW will know where Ivor and Mel are currently moored - it's worth a shot.

On a tangent, if all the recent sightings are mistaken, but the sighting on the Wolverhampton 21 is correct, then he might have taken a left turn and disappeared up the little used Wyrley & Essington, he could then hide on the Anglesy Branch (at Anglesy Basin) or the Cannock Extension at Little Wyrley. There's a very vigilant chap called Ralph who oversees the yard at Sneyd Junction - again you'll need BW to get in touch with him - perhaps worth another shot.

There's quite a few places to hide away on the BCN that I could list, but I won't waste your time unless the Leicester leads go cold.

Regards

Paul

Trish,

I believe that Ivor and Mel Batchelor aboard Mountbatten (and it's butty) moved their Diesel/Coal business from Braunston onto the Leicester Line last year, your man might have re-fuelled from their boat rather than risking a boat yard - I'm sure that BW will know where Ivor and Mel are currently moored - it's worth a shot.

Are you sure Ivor andf Mel are on the Leicester line? We saw them last year moored on the Trent and Mersey on Heartbreak Hill and Ivor was/is one of the tunnel keepers on Harecastle. I don't know if they were still selling coal and diesel though. That's a thought, boats are logged through Harecastle so it might be worth getting the records there checked.

I keep looking at this thread in the hope that the boat and hirer have been found and my hopes are raised when I read of a sighting but the trail then seems to go cold again. I DO hope they are both found safe and well soon. No sign of them on the Union canal in Scotland.

Are you sure Ivor andf Mel are on the Leicester line? We saw them last year moored on the Trent and Mersey on Heartbreak Hill and Ivor was/is one of the tunnel keepers on Harecastle.

No, I'm not 100% sure...I was working in Braunston last year and enquired about them, the locals said they'd moved onto the Leicester Line, that's all I know.

Sorry to Trish if I've given her a false lead...

Paul

I know this might sound a bit silly, but if anyone knows of any small tributies where the boat might have gone have they thought of looking with google earth?.I mean i dont know how often the pictures are updated and a lot of it you cant see properly but if you get good resolution you can make out individual boats clearly and there colours.A green roof with red bits would stand out from the others.It also lets you look over fences into peoples yards.... .Just a thought anyway, hopefully the boat and bloke will be found soon safe and sound.