Two people found dead at Gnosall

Yamanx

Featured Posts

According to the radio two people found dead in a small cruiser type boat at Gnosall, by The Junction pub.

Well the Junction is at Norbury, so thats as much as I know.

Edited to add:

"Couple found dead on canal boat

A couple have been found dead on a boat at a canal junction.

Police discovered their bodies - and the body of a dog - on the boat moored at Norbury Canal Junction, on the border of Staffordshire and Shropshire.

It has been confirmed that the couple who died - whose names have not yet been released - had lived on the boat.

Police are carrying out a detailed investigation of the boat, which is a small cruiser-type, about 20ft long, and are appealing for information."

Source Bbc news Shropshire

Edited by Yamanx

This brings back memories, I went to deliver a boat which was moored at Gnosall a couple of years ago and found the owner dead on board. This was not carbon monoxide, he'd fallen out of bed, probably dead before he fractures his scull on the stove. Did mean that Northampton CID paid me a visit and 8 pages and 2 hours later....! Apparently he had diabetes and other health problems.

This sad case does sound like Carbon Monoxide though.

I know most people up at Norbury and the surrounding area, I dont recognise this boat. looks like a 27' Dawncraft, but I dont know my boats so well.

From the picture on BBC web site it is moored directly outside the pub, this mooring is only ever used for those who stay one, maybe two nights at most. Unlike the visitor moorings which, since we've lost our BW bloke people moor at for weeks, even months.

Sounds very sad, and appears at first sight to be Carbon Monoxide. Very sad indeed. :cheers:

Who knows? Could have been ritual suicide...

Or ritual murder? .. but I wonder, did the dog do it and then commit suicide?

Seriously, this idea of guessing what happened - that the modern media loves - why do we fall into it? There are so many possibilities - but why do we have to know before the facts are established? Maybe there's a Sherlock Holmes in all of us? Maybe we're just nosey? Or maybe it's the human desire to be like God - perfect knowledge?

It can't be done.

Local news today (Thursday)

Cause of death not certain yet, apparently, two people and one dog died and another survived.

He was a a 'local character' known to like a drink (cider)

Seems the guy was very well known around these parts 'Scouse' Mick Tudor. I gave him (then took back) a wooden boat a few years ago as he had nowhere to live. Unfortunately he assumed this meant I was adopting him as my 'pet jakey' and he became a bit of a pest.

He abandoned the boat when something better came along and I had to rescue it and bring it back to my mooring (along with a whole mess of beaureacracy with BW which still isn't fully settled.

He favoured special brew over cider btw.

Lovely daft collie he had though.

Yes but there's a strong chance other chemicals were involved in this case.

Fair comment. However I still think a CO detector is a must. Should be part of the boat safety IMHO.

PLEASE-EVERYONE -YOU MUST FIT A CO DETECTOR-Do it today!!!!!!

I agree. I got bought a posh one for christmas. I was slightly disappointed it wasn't a box of chocolates, but now I think they must really love me!

Two topics merged and moved to General Boating...

It does sound like CO unfortunately :cheers:

My thoughts are with the family and friends of those concerened.

It was CO that killed Mr Tudor. I have posted a statement on the Living Afloat forum. Please accept my apologies for starting a new thread, but, once read, it is for obvious reasons related to the audience we are trying to reach.

BTW, the source of the CO will not be known for certain until the inquest has been held. AFAIK the inquests of the two boaters that died in seperate incidents in Northamptonshire last year have not yet been held either.

I will come back when we have more more information from any of these incidents.

Please keep boating -but do stay safe

Regards

Rob@BSSOffice

As part of my boat safety inspection, which includes ventilation, if the boat fails, I issue a warning certificate. end of, its not mandatory its only advisory, it should be mandatory in my oppinion, but hey, I carry out an inspection, it passes, as soon as I walk down the tow path away from the boat the owners shove's the carboard back in the ventilation grill! or hands back the fire blanket back to his mate.. or.. brings back the cans of petrol for his genny etc etc etc ..... If you want to kill your self, fine, get on with it! my gripe is other people walking the towpath near your time bomb. Last week I carried out an inspection on an 4 year old boat to find to my horror that the builder had 'forgot' to cut out any vents in the gas locker. Have a look at yours this weekend, should you get a leak from your bottles, can it escape??

As part of my boat safety inspection, which includes ventilation, if the boat fails, I issue a warning certificate. end of, its not mandatory its only advisory, it should be mandatory in my oppinion, but hey, I carry out an inspection, it passes, as soon as I walk down the tow path away from the boat the owners shove's the carboard back in the ventilation grill! or hands back the fire blanket back to his mate.. or.. brings back the cans of petrol for his genny etc etc etc ..... If you want to kill your self, fine, get on with it! my gripe is other people walking the towpath near your time bomb. Last week I carried out an inspection on an 4 year old boat to find to my horror that the builder had 'forgot' to cut out any vents in the gas locker. Have a look at yours this weekend, should you get a leak from your bottles, can it escape??

Scouse Mick was extremely proud of the fact that he had never had a licence or a safety cert. in over 10 years of boating, ironically, with the exception of 'le shack' (which I gave him) which had both. He owned the T.C. tar boat Tees, the last severner Jo boat, and the walton boat 'dragonfly', all section 8's broken up by BW. I rescued le shack 2 days after the section 8 expired (and it was legal again the week after).

The man never had any intention of ever possessing a safety cert. and, had bw caught up with him (though he apparently is known by different names, in different regions) would have just moved on again.

Scouse had an air of self destruction about him, it's ironic that the lungs got him before the liver.

People like him, whilst adding 'colour' to the cut in some folks' opinion, won't be affected by BSS or BW. Every time he lost a boat, he found another, including one from this mug. One of the reasons BW destroy section 8s worth less than a grand.

His type gave wooden boaters a bad name (further irony that it was plastic that got him) and lost some very important boats to the dredger.

Sorry if I offend by 'speaking ill of the dead' but it's nothing I haven't said to his face. I'd be a hypocrite if I changed my opinion now.

One thing I will say though. He loved his dog Charlie as much as I love mine. I've seen him come out of a shop with no beer but food for his dog in the bag, and so I've got him a beer. Of course I subsequently learnt he'd lifted a couple of tinnies and they were inside the coat, but the thought was there.

He'd be gutted to know he was responsible for Charlie's death.

Nigel has in fact highlighted a VERY IMPORTANT point. People have to have somewhere to store the petrol for the genny, or auxilory outboard. There has to be a way to stop draughts in strong winds/cold weather. So why doesn't the HSE try to earn their money, and come up with solutions that are easily affordable, and coupled to common sense.

When I made my stove I was very aware of not shutting myself inside. The metal door is not solid, and there is no way you'd shut the outer door with the stove lit.....you'd quite litterally cook. So on the occasional very cold night, I let the stove almost go out, before closing the outer door, which has 2 small adequate vents. The warmth lasts for hours. On the one occasion I did wake up freezing it was only a moments job to relight it, obviously opening the door and porthole first. It would be dangerous to fit open vents to the cabin sides, just in case I go sea fishing and the water came over the top of the cabin. The boat was designed as a small sailing boat, capable of safely coping with this.

I also keep my fire extinguishers where they should be. I have no gas, relying on a small portable stove. I do have a can of petrol most of the time, in a proper 5 litre can. Storage can be a problem, however it is very unlikely to leak. I NEVER leave it in the cabin, and although my outboard lives there (when it is aboard) I always empty the tank, and run it out of petrol before storing it.

Life is full of risk, in fact we often thrive on it....hence our need to have fast cars etc. But sensible precausions can usually be taken. There will always be those with the 'self destruct' button pressed.