Featured Posts

Hello boaters

I have a situation arising which is, in the next 6 months or so I will need to move my boat from the Stort to a marina on the Middle Levels; the River Lark, to be precise. Been boating for a few years but this is going to be epic; for me anyway.

The problem with that? My boat is a 12' x 57' wide beam. Regardless, I would like to drive to as close as I possibly can get which, I believe, is to the Northampton Arm but because of width and/or draft restrictions beyond there that's probably as far as I'll be able to go. Unless, of course, you know different. Please tell me you know different wink.png

I have done as much homework as possible and have exhausted a wide variety of options; web sites, phone calls (even Gayton Marina staff and CRT didn't have any helpful or appropriate info) and books (Nicholson which didn't turn up all the issues) to find this information but not all the restrictions are given. I have been advised of them purely through conversations with other boaters. My previous was a narrow boat so any problems wouldn't have been a consideration.

Therefore, the plan is to drive the boat to a point as close as possible, which I believe is Gayton Junction and from there I am told it would have to be craned and transported to its destination being the closest river and craning point to the Marina. If there's anyone on the Lark or Middle Levels reading this, can they get in touch and give me some local advice please. Thanks.

I would appreciate any information regarding restrictions on length, width, draft, phone numbers and names of any people in the know would be so helpful and also for craning (as I suspect that's what it will boil down to in the end) for a wide beam. I also need to know things like transport companies, procedures, all the facts and figures if anyone can help in any way.

Thanks in anticipation for any help, info and suggestions. The only suggestion I don't want to hear is "You Can't". biggrin.png

Cheers.

Chrissie

Hi Chrissie & welcome to the forum.

We had our widebeam (57 x 11) road hauled from Chorley (up north) down to Braunston (near Daventry) 2 years ago; we used AB Tuckeys and I would highly recommend them, fantastic customer service. They do the lot, arrange the cranes a both ends, the truck, insurance and anything else needed.

Give Monica a ring on 01926 812134 She will want to know if cranes will be needed at both ends of the trip, how much your boat weighs and the date you want to move.

I'm not in any way associated with the company, just a very satisfied customer :) Good luck with your move.

someone else will be along with other suggestions shortly I'm sure

Hi Bettie's mum

Wow! That's absolutely brilliant. Just what I need. Its a start and I can make some enquiries. I suspect there's a waiting list/time for that kind of even so I'll get on it.

I've been on here for a few years but never really needed any input as the ex did all the comms

Thank you so much and for the info and for the welcome.

Chrissie

Others will comment (indeed already are) on road transport hauliers.

If your objective is to do as much of the journey as possible by water, then you are right the narrow locks at Gayton on the Northampton Arm are your first blockage.

You could get craned around them and then go from Northampton down the Nene, but then you would get stuck at Stanground (Peterborough) which is only 11'6" wide and is the entrance to the Middle Levels. http://www.middlelevel.gov.uk/docs/Navigation/NavNotes15-web.pdf

So one option would be to take the boat by road from Gayton to Foxes in March, and you could then (Marmont Prior lock is stated to be 12'0") go from there by boat to Denver Sluice and thence to the Lark (which, apols for pedantry, is on the Fens not the Middle Level).

Surely the shortest road journey will be from the Stort, up the M11 and A11 to the Ely area, and to get craned in there? Hermitage Marina at Earith (run by Cathedral Marina in Ely, where I am now) would be one option. Other locals will have other ideas.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Just to confirm it, there is no inland route for any boat wider than 7 feet to get from London to the wide waterways of the Fens or the north, and the nearest you would get is Gayton junction because the Northampton Arm has narrow locks. Also, your boat will indeed fit the GU to get you to Gayton, unless it has an unusually big draft or airdraft.

So you're looking at road haulage, and all I can add to Bettie Boo's recommendation is the rather obvious point that you should enquire about the possible places for craning in and out (is there much choice?), and what difference it makes to the price. For example, if the overall cost of hauling up the M11 between the nearest available places to your start point and destination is not much greater than the shortest possible journey, and/or you don't think you'd enjoy the journey through London and up the GU, you could just have a short trip at each end.

I'm going back about 20 years now but when my friend was building boats for clients on the Cambs waterways he used to crane them in at the old British Sugar site at Queen Adelaide just below Ely and near the mouth of the R Lark.

That site is now Potter Logisitics/Transport.

I'm going back about 20 years now but when my friend was building boats for clients on the Cambs waterways he used to crane them in at the old British Sugar site at Queen Adelaide just below Ely and near the mouth of the R Lark.

That jetty looks a bit silted up now, worth checking properly. If I remember I will investigate, when I go past this weekend.

I dont know if they are craning at Popes Corner again, they had a crane fall in the marina a few years ago.

Wow! Thank you one and all for the brilliant input! At least there are some options. I'll be checking them all out. Thanks again.

Should have bought a narrow boat, that would have been a lovely trip.

Yup! Thanks for the suggestion but as I said, done the narrow boat and now need a nice comfortable home to settle down in. My new boat is it.

Should have bought a narrow boat, that would have been a lovely trip.

We had our widebeam (57 x 11) road hauled from Chorley (up north) down to Braunston (near Daventry) 2 years ago; we used AB Tuckeys and I would highly recommend them, fantastic customer service. They do the lot, arrange the cranes a both ends, the truck, insurance and anything else needed.

Give Monica a ring on 01926 812134 She will want to know if cranes will be needed at both ends of the trip, how much your boat weighs and the date you want to move.

I'm a road haulier myself, for various reasons I don't do narrowboat movements, but I can confirm that AB Tuckey's do have an excellent reputation in the industry for doing them.

Others will comment (indeed already are) on road transport hauliers.

If your objective is to do as much of the journey as possible by water, then you are right the narrow locks at Gayton on the Northampton Arm are your first blockage.

You could get craned around them and then go from Northampton down the Nene, but then you would get stuck at Stanground (Peterborough) which is only 11'6" wide and is the entrance to the Middle Levels. http://www.middlelevel.gov.uk/docs/Navigation/NavNotes15-web.pdf

So one option would be to take the boat by road from Gayton to Foxes in March, and you could then (Marmont Prior lock is stated to be 12'0") go from there by boat to Denver Sluice and thence to the Lark (which, apols for pedantry, is on the Fens not the Middle Level).

Surely the shortest road journey will be from the Stort, up the M11 and A11 to the Ely area, and to get craned in there? Hermitage Marina at Earith (run by Cathedral Marina in Ely, where I am now) would be one option. Other locals will have other ideas.

Actually getting the boat to Ely by road and into the water there might be an option. But I do like the river/canal from Roydon to Gayton, by road to March then river the rest of the way. Oh, yes please! Thank you so much for that!

I'm a road haulier myself, for various reasons I don't do narrowboat movements, but I can confirm that AB Tuckey's do have an excellent reputation in the industry for doing them.

Thanks for input Southern Star. Tuckeys are definitely in the book.

Lift out at Willow Bridge near Milton Keynes

Lift back in at Westview Marina at Earith then down the river to Denver and back to Ely.

Tuckeys in between

We lifted out at Earith and back in at Middx and Herts (near Hemel Hempstead) when we did the reverse trip 3 years ago. Just didn't have time to do it by boat...........

You will need to check lock size at Denver as I don't think you will get through the one at Earith

Edited by Loddon

That jetty looks a bit silted up now, worth checking properly. If I remember I will investigate, when I go past this weekend.

Some photos at the weekend (on the way to Botany Bay).

I am sure you could put a boat in the water at this location. Whether it would then float (rather than sit on the bottom) I would rather doubt.

post-13477-0-05333400-1446503358_thumb.jpgpost-13477-0-95135100-1446503372_thumb.jpg

Lift out at Willow Bridge near Milton Keynes

Lift back in at Westview Marina at Earith then down the river to Denver and back to Ely.

Tuckeys in between

We lifted out at Earith and back in at Middx and Herts (near Hemel Hempstead) when we did the reverse trip 3 years ago. Just didn't have time to do it by boat...........

You will need to check lock size at Denver as I don't think you will get through the one at Earith

Hermitage lock is 100' by 13'1" , according to

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/river-great-ouse-bridge-heights-locks-and-facilities

(Warning - that site says Jesus lock is 9'6" wide, which is clearly wrong ....)

This shows its 4 mts all the way from Ely to St Neots http://www.fenswaterways.com/portals/0/docs/ouse_nav_guide.pdf

From that map;

4mtrs to below St Ives

3.3m St Ives to St Neots

3m St Neots to Bedford

One of the many reasons the BMK waterway is a waste of time......

Edited by Loddon

Yup! Thanks for the suggestion but as I said, done the narrow boat and now need a nice comfortable home to settle down in. My new boat is it.

Yes, I wonder why it is that some people assume that nobody on a widebeam could have ever owned a narrowboat?

Edited by blackrose