Suitcase generator outside?

kremmen

Featured Posts

I saw a this generator on the back of a boat and it was left outside in the rain

Does anyone have any experience of the water resistant properties of this unit as I bring mine inside in the case of rain.

I am aware that the manual says DON'T.

Paul

post-4391-0-50973100-1445768421_thumb.jpg

I saw a this generator on the back of a boat and it was left outside in the rain

Does anyone have any experience of the water resistant properties of this unit as I bring mine inside in the case of rain.

I am aware that the manual says DON'T.

Paul

By all means bring it inside, just don't switch it on and gas yourself with Carbon Monoxide!

(Even then, you have the problem of petrol inside the boat in breach of BSS requirements)

George ex nb Alton retired

By all means bring it inside, just don't switch it on and gas yourself with Carbon Monoxide!

(Even then, you have the problem of petrol inside the boat in breach of BSS requirements)

George ex nb Alton retired

Agreed, always run ours dry before bringing aboard. Considering going to propane, but will wait and see how solar fares next year before spending more money. Propane seems a safer option to me.

It will depend on make and model, it may be in the specification sheet.

There is also the problem of connections and cable being suitable.

At a guess it will probably be shower proof but not rain proof.

Now define shower and rain. wink.png

Give us all the make and model and we will research for you. ;)

If all else fails, phone the manufacturer.

ps. I have seen generators with umbrellas over them, on a suitable stand.

Thanks, I have the manual and it says not to do this but most manuals are full of H&S advice just to cover themselves.

I will keep it dry until I can work a solution.

I don't worry about mine running in the rain after that!

Do you strip it down and reassemble it after each use?

If your generator has a standard 3 pin socket then using it the rain is no more sensible than using a standard indoor extension lead outside in wet weather.

Would you spray water on your 240 Volt sockets at home?

If your generator has less than an IPx4 rating (the x being solid particle protection and not relevant to the thread) then I would not leave it outside in the rain.

If your generator has a standard 3 pin socket then using it the rain is no more sensible than using a standard indoor extension lead outside in wet weather.

If your generator has less than an IPx4 rating (the x being solid particle protection and not relevant to the thread) then I would not leave it outside in the rain.

Exactly that. I cover the genny when running in rain with two pieces of alloy sheet that form a "roof" with overhang. This is cable tied on with re-usable cable ties.

I have also used an umbrella as has been suggested elsewhere.

240v + water = bang/possible electrocution.

Thanks, I have the manual and it says not to do this but most manuals are full of H&S advice just to cover themselves.

I will keep it dry until I can work a solution.

Does the manual say dont run in the rain or dont run indoors. If I understand this correctly to keep your dry you run it indoors and feel the warning not to is just H&S bull shit.

The Honda EU10i is IP44

I generally take it to mean it doesn't mind a bit of damp but don't leave it in the pouring rain.

Yamaha make an EU10-a-like now i believe. As I had an EF600 and it was brilliant i would be quite tempted.

I have a really old EF1000 which is excellent kit. Bought as a non-runner, easily fixed and given 14 years excellent service on two different boats. extremely quiet too. Will have a look for the Yammy look a like ;)