Wide-beam residential mooring in Northwest?

Daltonia

Featured Posts

Hello Forum, My house is about to go up for sale rolleyes.gif and an option I am seriously considering is living afloat. I've never done it before but have thought about it often. I think perhaps it is time to give it a go. I believe the first step is to find a suitable residential mooring, besides of course finding a boat (I'm thinking of a widebeam). I wonder if any forum members may help with finding possible residential moorings for widebeams in the northwest (anywhere in the northwest would be fine; Cheshire/Lancashire/western Pennines region). I'd like to avoid marinas, if at all possible. I say residential, in that it would be my main residence but I wouldn't be there full-time. I work as a self-employed bryologist (moss) and am away working/living in my mini-camper for about 4 or 5 months of a typical year. I guess this still means I need a residential mooring? Many thanks in advance for any help. biggrin.png

Hi and welcome, i would use a said above a relatives or friends address and get a non residential mooring, nothing wrong in that and saves a fortune on the rip off residenrial mooring prices.

Try the farm up from White Bear Marina at Adlington on the L&L, cant remember the name but they were dam cheap when Mrs Manley was alive, she passed away a few years back and her son i believe rammed up the prices as they were around £6 pw, ots good as its a short walk to the shops and good spot really. and close to the Marine for services.

You could try Preston Brook marina, in Preston Brooksmile.png near Runcorn. I was there yesterday and from the look of it half the resi moorings are empty and have been for weeks. They recently got permission to add more. You'd have to contact the Bridgewater Canal Company rather than the marina I believe.

K

http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/contact/

Many thanks for the very helpful replies. Yes, I have my terminology a little mixed-up (new to this!). I believe what I need is something generally referred to as a 'home mooring' (not residential), where I will essentially live but will officially live at a relatives house. I've been advised to contact the moorings officer for the northwest at the C&RT, who I'm told can give me advise on locations of possible moorings of this type. Thanks for the tips on Adlington and Preston Brook. If anyone else knows of a quiet non-marina 'home mooring' available for a widebeam in the northwest, please let me know (it is just for me - no pets or other humans in tow). Many thanks.

Hi

With regards to berths at Preston Brook Marina, I believe you contact the marina directly. Due to the 50 granted residential berths, I've heard they have a lot of them reserved. With a phone call though.

Thanks again for the further comments. I've been looking at possible locations a bit more closely and made a map of the general search area (5.9MB file), which includes the canal sections listed below. Any help would be appreciated in locating possible non-marina 'home moorings' for a widebeam along any of these canals, in relatively quiet spots. Many thanks.

Shropshire Union Canal (Ellesmere Port to Nantwich)

Weaver Navigation (Runcorn to Winsford)

Trent and Mersey Canal (Preston Brook to Middlewich)

Bridgewater Canal (Preston Brook to Dunham Massey)

Bridgewater Canal (Leigh to Worsley)

Leeds and Liverpool Canal (Downholland to Blackburn)

Leeds and Liverpool Canal – Rufford Branch

Leeds and Liverpool Canal ­– Leigh Branch

Lancaster Canal (any part)

Lancaster Canal – Glasson Branch

Thanks again for the further comments. I've been looking at possible locations a bit more closely and made a map of the general search area (5.9MB file), which includes the canal sections listed below. Any help would be appreciated in locating possible non-marina 'home moorings' for a widebeam along any of these canals, in relatively quiet spots. Many thanks.

Shropshire Union Canal (Ellesmere Port to Nantwich)

Weaver Navigation (Runcorn to Winsford)

Trent and Mersey Canal (Preston Brook to Middlewich)

Bridgewater Canal (Preston Brook to Dunham Massey)

Bridgewater Canal (Leigh to Worsley)

Leeds and Liverpool Canal (Downholland to Blackburn)

Leeds and Liverpool Canal – Rufford Branch

Leeds and Liverpool Canal ­– Leigh Branch

Lancaster Canal (any part)

Lancaster Canal – Glasson Branch

Try this https://www.watersidemooring.com/from CRT