Looking for a cheap starter boats, best sites other than eBay?

scrabble

Featured Posts

Ive found out the other day theyre selling the apartments off I live in. As I am out of work due to health issues (nothing that severely would affect me on a boat, i am still fairly young and fairly fit and capable) its not going to be easy for me to find another 1 bedroom apartment, whilst out of work, and finding someone who will accept housing benefit is another thing because whether your out of work through no fault of your own or you just bone idle you all fall into the same category of scum with landlords these days

I am single and have no children, i have some inheritance money put aside, and I am looking to sell my car I rarely use which is worth around £5000 - £6000.

Ive been looking on gumtree, ebay for something around the 15-20k mark probably closer to the 15k mark, okay I know its going to be no show boat, but I am mechanically minded, i am one of those that family and friends turn to because i seem to be able to repair anything, often using ingenuity quite a lot of the time, I dont want a massive boat, something 35-40 feet, I have never liked living in big houses, aslong as i can walk down it, have a bed, a bathroom, small kitchen area and a small living area I would be content, I am a very minimalistic person, i dont want a lot in life, ive been through a lot of crap and i am just happy now if i can get by and live comfortably, and the possessions I own aside from furniture would fit into a medium sized car. Iam hoping to find something that mainly isnt rotten or will need overplating, aslong as the engine runs without overheating or anything I can live with that, and im not too fussed about interior as i have a friend who is a carpenter who has already said he would love to experience working on a boat so if needs be I have him.

I just really cannot be bothered to pay another £600 out on a bond, another £400 - £500 month up front on rent to move in, plus admin fees, on a home I will never own, I am also fedup of facing homelessness constantly, 3 times in the last 6 years i have had to move because of moron landlords or moron neighbors, i just feel the need to be free, and be able to move at my own leisure in a home i can call my own that nobody can take off me or kick me out of.

:)

Apollo Duck is a fairly big internet site which will give you a fair idea what you can get for your money.

However before parting with any money have you ever hired a boat?

Living on one is not for everyone, try wandering along the canal and having a chat to a few boaters ask them about the pros and the cons.

Ken

I am no expert and have never spent a winter on a boat on the canal. It looks like you get a hell of a lot of cabin cruiser though for your money.

The main negative that I have picked up against them though is that they are terrible in winter due to being difficult to keep warm.

just a thought and maybe something that you can investigate further.

Its fast approaching the better time of the year to buy as well.

You are a 'sitting tenant' maybe a talk to Citizens Advice would be a good start as to your rights.

Have you researched as to the 'hoops' you have to go through to have a boat on the canals.

Here is a start: right hand column for more links https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/a-boat-of-your-own

As to where to look, Apollo Duck and any other narrow-boat brokers google search

I am no expert and have never spent a winter on a boat on the canal. It looks like you get a hell of a lot of cabin cruiser though for your money.

The main negative that I have picked up against them though is that they are terrible in winter due to being difficult to keep warm.

just a thought and maybe something that you can investigate further.

Its fast approaching the better time of the year to buy as well.

How well you can heat it very much depends on the boat and the type of heating you are using.

We find our diesel heating keeps the boat lovely and warm during the winter and we don't suffer with condensation either.

I have a friend and a cousin who live on the canals, albeit a good 2/3 hours away from me so dont see them a lot, and me and a group of friends hired one 2 summers ago for 10 days which was a laugh, so being on the canal and boats are not alien to me, its just trying to find the right one within my price range. I did look at the GRP cruisers but many dont have heating as said thats the only downside to them.

It's not quite clear, but it sounds as if the OP is sure that he'll have to leave the flat. If, as with the vast majority of properties rented from a private landlord, it's on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, I think they'll only have to give two months' notice.

That being so, it does sound as if living on a narrowboat around Braunston is a plausible plan. As long as you move about enough and have the enthusiasm to cope with winter on the towpath I think it would be a good area to CC in; in my experience it's never difficult to find a spot to moor around there, except at busy times in the middle of Braunston itself. I don't have a boat and the longest consecutive time I've been on one is a week, but like you I've done enough to feel that I can imagine what life as a cc'er would be like, and that I may do it one day. Chugging along on a cold but sunny November day with a little fire going in the stove is heaven, but faced with the reality of muddy towpaths or getting iced in I might cough up to go into a marina for the worst of the winter though, which perhaps you cannot afford.

If you can do your own minor repairs and your friend can help with fitting out, and you'd be content with a shorter and therefore cheaper boat, your budget sounds OK, go for it. Crucially I suppose it's a matter of choosing the boat carefully; maybe a GRP boat of the right dimensions with some suitable heating, or the right second hand narrowboat with no serious faults. They're said to be slightly better value if you buy up north, and if you're going to CC anyway you can take your time moving to your desired area.

How well you can heat it very much depends on the boat and the type of heating you are using.

We find our diesel heating keeps the boat lovely and warm during the winter and we don't suffer with condensation either.

Which boat and diesel heater do you have? A big attraction for me if getting a cabin cruiser is that they can be trailered out more easily if required.

Which boat and diesel heater do you have? A big attraction for me if getting a cabin cruiser is that they can be trailered out more easily if required.

i have a 34ft grp narrow inland river cruiser it cost what you value your car at, a previous owner lived on her for 12 years, I spend more time on it in winter than in summer, I have a small boatman wood burn and that keeps her toastie warm in all weather, if your looking at a metal narrowboat your 15k is bottom end but in grp you will get a lot for that money, an immaculate highbridge will set you back around 12k leaving you a few grand for. Licences and insurances and is more than adequate to live on, take a while to look around before jumping in,but with your budget you will be fine,lastly I would say you must love and want to I've on water to succeed rather than just looking for somewhere cheap to live,if cost is your only motivation chances are you will fail

e idle you all fall into the same category of scum with landlords these days

Hang on just a minute! Like cyclists, fishermen and even boaters there are good landlords and bad ... lets not tar them all with the same brush!

I am a landlord as I own one flat that I let, my tenant of seven years is on housing benefit and it works fine for me and for him!

Having said that I wish you well with your search for a boat. I know what you mean about upfront fees when renting ... it seems everyone is after your money in the rental game whether you are landlord or tenant!

Edited by NickF

It's not quite clear, but it sounds as if the OP is sure that he'll have to leave the flat. If, as with the vast majority of properties rented from a private landlord, it's on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, I think they'll only have to give two months' notice.

That being so, it does sound as if living on a narrowboat around Braunston is a plausible plan. As long as you move about enough and have the enthusiasm to cope with winter on the towpath I think it would be a good area to CC in; in my experience it's never difficult to find a spot to moor around there, except at busy times in the middle of Braunston itself. I don't have a boat and the longest consecutive time I've been on one is a week, but like you I've done enough to feel that I can imagine what life as a cc'er would be like, and that I may do it one day. Chugging along on a cold but sunny November day with a little fire going in the stove is heaven, but faced with the reality of muddy towpaths or getting iced in I might cough up to go into a marina for the worst of the winter though, which perhaps you cannot afford.

If you can do your own minor repairs and your friend can help with fitting out, and you'd be content with a shorter and therefore cheaper boat, your budget sounds OK, go for it. Crucially I suppose it's a matter of choosing the boat carefully; maybe a GRP boat of the right dimensions with some suitable heating, or the right second hand narrowboat with no serious faults. They're said to be slightly better value if you buy up north, and if you're going to CC anyway you can take your time moving to your desired area.

Indeed, I will have 2 months to move out/find somewhere once they officially announce it.

I do love the outdoors, especially in winter, i stayed on my friends a couple of winters ago, that was around late November time, i do recall going backside over breast (trying to be polite here lol) but the towpaths seem to be worse wherever there are more cyclists, or where the canals are near where they have built warehouses. I just see myself as a single person, with no ties, no baggage and minimal posessions, i honestly do think il love it, im one of those who doesnt take life too seriously, anything goes, whatever wil be will be types.

Ill keep looking and will post up anything i find that interests me.

Thanks people

Aha lol, I wont tie myself down again mate the last one messed me up for a good few years, been single 7 year now, dont feel the need to have someone thats a constant burden on me, granted not all women are the same but the good ones are few and far between.

Just seen a springer on whilton marina's website, are they any good? needs some slight interior adjustments and lick of paint, new toilet etc, i like how the bed goes across, from when i slept on my friends having the bed like that is somewhat relaxing I found as you are rocked head to toe as opposed to side to side where the bed is set so u can walk down the side of it.

http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/3454.aspx

Then this one, but the layouts a bit odd, bed, then the fire, kitchen area bathroom then the living area is boarded off from the rest of the boat.

http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/3463.aspx

From what a friend told me springers were made from old gas geysers? hence theyre not very thick steel wise in the first place, but apparently last well.

Both of these make good use of interior space as they have no front door (the large front window opens wide so that you can escape in case of an emergency). The first one is pretty darned basic and is, I would suggest, overpriced. The second one, despite its slight eccentricities, looks more civilised, but I would worry about the stove being so close to the mattress.

The story about Springers being built from old gasometer steel is widespread, but not proven as far as I know. But if they were, then steel designed to contain high pressure gas would surely have been of decent quality.

I owned a Springer which I "did up" until I sold her last year. I was pleasantly surprised by the robustness of her construction and by the thoughtful use of space. Don't be put off by the name - but if you are going to buy one, do have her pulled out of the water and surveyed by a pro to ensure that the hull is sound. many are, some aren't, and you should find out which before you buy.

Thanks mate, I guess any brokerage is going to have a slightly inflated price. My cousins came from a brokerage and she got the price down from £27500 to £24500 and there wasnt much wrong with it other than it needed blacking.

Ive heard scary stories about surveyors, some are sound, some will lie to you, some make things out to be far worse than they are. i have one of these meters that checks paint depth and metal thickness depth from when i used to work in the car repair trade somewhere that I never parted with as it cost me around £170. Is there a list if recommended surveyors anywhere? What would a survey on a small boat like that cost? thanks again

If you have a genuine health issue then get onto citizens advice and the local housing agencies for support through a move to another flat, possibly with some support for living.

Residing on a boat isn't for the faint hearted. AND being slightly "alternative" sometimes the benefit system doesn't work well.

Remember that on a boat your stores -food water and fuel- you have to hand carry to the boat, and your waste -paper, food scraps, and sewerage- you have to carry from the boat by hand and maybe pay for disposal.

If you buy a cheap old boat it may be beyond use in 2 - 10 years without expensive work. Where will you live if your boat sinks or needs welding work -they ALL do in the end.

The two months notice is notice that they will start court proceedings to evict if the tenant hasn't left by that date- realistically they could have 6 + months in the flat as they don't HAVE to leave at the end of the 2 months, especially if they were to ask the council for help with housing, who will advise them the stay in the property until officially evicted via the courts.

Aye seen that on TV on cant pay we will take it away, someone thinks theyve got 2 months, so stays, landlord issues court proceedings, court tells them you could be there for 6 months, council we cant help you till youve been officially booted out, so the tenant thinks welll ive got 6 months time, then 2 weeks later high court turn up to repossess the property there and then. Its just ive always had a good record with renting, 14 years to be exact, never missed a payment, never had a bad word said about me, i just wouldnt want to tarnish that now, plus ive got a £850 bond tied up in this place too.

I know it isnt all glamourous living, where i live now i have to hump my rubbish and shopping up and down 6 flights of stairs, and whatever I buy will probs be max 40ft so i can get used to it, im quite an anxious person and one thing I loved about being on trips and on friends boats was just the odd feeling of feeling free, like i had no worries, surrounded by nature, just that tranqulity, no worries, nothing to fret about, at the minute paying out £600+ a month for this place, i get £225 housing benefit because im under 35 so as you can imagine this place eats into my other ESA benefit and DLA I get, which i dont do too bad out of its the equivalant of a min wage job i get per month. Im very particular and that so whatever I get will be well maintained :)

I know it isnt all glamourous living, where i live now i have to hump my rubbish and shopping up and down 6 flights of stairs, and whatever I buy will probs be max 40ft so i can get used to it, im quite an anxious person and one thing I loved about being on trips and on friends boats was just the odd feeling of feeling free, like i had no worries, surrounded by nature, just that tranqulity, no worries, nothing to fret about, at the minute paying out £600+ a month for this place, i get £225 housing benefit because im under 35 so as you can imagine this place eats into my other ESA benefit and DLA I get, which i dont do too bad out of its the equivalant of a min wage job i get per month. Im very particular and that so whatever I get will be well maintained smile.png

I'd suggest you give it a try then. Even if it isn't to your liking, if you buy a reasonably sound older boat, you'd be able to sell it for pretty much what you paid for it so even if you only stuck it out for a year you'd probably end up ahead.