What can be done about continuous moorer?

Ajna

Featured Posts

Looking at the OP's earlier posts I get the impression they are a CC'er and this isn't a home mooring. If the OP is moving onto the GU soon (Tring) then it won't be a problem for them anymore.

One of the great things about being a boater (in particular a CC'er) is that you can move if you don't like your neighbors!

In terms of paying their way, the other boater may also be paying their way if they have a boat licence. If they are only running a genny inside the allowed hours, they aren't doing anything wrong.

The boaty world has the same diversity of people as the land world. Makes life interesting!

More facts are needed really.. >snip

>Snip 2. If he's not illegally mooring on one of your private moorings, and he's able to moor somewhere "without paying what you pay", then good for him, but my experience of CRT data loggers is that they would have logged him if he is mooring beyond 14days in one place....so perhaps they've already issued him with a warning. If not, then there is possibly a good reason..(medical, etc).

3. You say he's a bridge hopper...but that would indicate someone who moves around a small local area...but you also say he looks like he's preparing for winter...again, this would be very unlikely unless CRT has given him permission...especially as you say they do come down your way and check boats....>Snip

I think you might be in danger of being an apologist for things that should not be apologised for.

"without paying what you pay" is emotive phrasing, turning a blind eye to illegal behaviour can only be reasonable if the person concerned is being reasonable. and is not having an adverse effect on anyone else

CRT cannot give him permission to remain on land they do not own

OK. I'm going out today to find something to moan about that impinges in a non-violent way in my life.

When I return I shall moan about it on an Internet forum where 50% will agree and 50% won't and 50% won't give a duck and 50% will complain about my maths.

This will achieve.......

....precisely nothing.

• Greenie 1

Unfortunately any lifestyle choice that involves low cost barriers to entry such as living on a narrowboat will attract some of societies less attractive persons. We are seeing some of the results of our broken housing policy. It doesnt really help but at least a boat moves, imagine being stuck in a flat on a sink estate. If someone is being aggresive or abusive then ask the police to have a word. Be a pain in the arse to him until he gets fed up and moves. We had a problem many years ago with youths congregating outside in the summer. My girlfriend just sat amongst them talking and singing for several nights, they fled and never returned. Remember there are protest techniques that are legal but can work, perhaps hes fond of Opera in the morning.

OK. I'm going out today to find something to moan about that impinges in a non-violent way in my life.

When I return I shall moan about it on an Internet forum where 50% will agree and 50% won't and 50% won't give a duck and 50% will complain about my maths.

This will achieve.......

....precisely nothing.

Well you are not having my duck so you only have to worry about the other 80%

"without paying what you pay" is emotive phrasing, turning a blind eye to illegal behaviour can only be reasonable if the person concerned is being reasonable. and is not having an adverse effect on anyone else

It may well be the case that the 'nuisance' boater is not breaking any law or rules.

We all have an effect on other boaters but it's subjective as to whether it's adverse. Some of us don't have a problem with gennies running, boats looking tatty and boats mooring outside VM's.

It may well be the case that the 'nuisance' boater is not breaking any law or rules.

We all have an effect on other boaters but it's subjective as to whether it's adverse. Some of us don't have a problem with gennies running, boats looking tatty and boats mooring outside VM's.

The fact is, we simply don't know because we have one side of the argument. We don't know if the mooring is without permission on council land. What's your view if it turns out this is the case? Also, the times the generator is running hasn't been detailed properly.

If he is moored on council land that is not designated for occupation, then he most certainly is breaking rules or by-laws

quite possibly, but some people who pay a lot for a mooring on side A of a canal, can get more than a little upset when someone moors for free on side B. This can lead to finding all sorts of reason to ostricise that boater, who may actually be there legally, and not doing anything illegal at all....

of course we don't know, because we dont have all the facts....he may of course be there illegally, and be running his gennie at midnight, but the OP hasn't confirmed this...

Unfortunately any lifestyle choice that involves low cost barriers to entry such as living on a narrowboat ....

I honestly don't think living on a narrowboat involves a low cost to entry..........not many people have a spare 10, 20,30 000 in their bank to "move onto the canals", and living through winters is a serious challenge for people who have no mooring on shorepower....it's certainly not an "easy option"........

The beauty of being on a boat is that you can simply untie and move on for a few days if something is upsetting you that much.

That might be a little harder if you have splashed out a lot of dosh for a mooring and are also preparing for winter unsure.png

At the end of our moorings where we are all paying our way there is some council land on the off side near us where a local boater who don't have a mooring keeps staying and making a right mess and looks like he's preparing for winter.

I approached him tonight as he was running a generator disturbing us all and got all kinds of threats and abuse thrown at me!

On the flip side CRT come past our moorings and take note of all the boats while this guy just keeps taking the mick!

What can be done?

Interesting how often this sort of phrase crops up in a "let's lynch a CMer" thread. ;) I'm really sorry you've been cruelly forced against your will to accept a mooring, and have been therefore been made to pay to use it.

Incidentally, do you live aboard? Is your mooring a residential one? How much council tax do you pay for it (mine is £800-and-something a year for my boat). And as for TV licensing when your only residence is a boat - that's a bummer, isn't it.

:rolleyes:

• Greenie 1

quite possibly, but some people who pay a lot for a mooring on side A of a canal, can get more than a little upset when someone moors for free on side B. This can lead to finding all sorts of reason to ostricise that boater, who may actually be there legally, and not doing anything illegal at all....

of course we don't know, because we dont have all the facts....he may of course be there illegally, and be running his gennie at midnight, but the OP hasn't confirmed this...

I honestly don't think living on a narrowboat involves a low cost to entry..........not many people have a spare 10, 20,30 000 in their bank to "move onto the canals", and living through winters is a serious challenge for people who have no mooring on shorepower....it's certainly not an "easy option"........

Ok Dean here's some facts for you.

The genny is run in and out of hours.

The land he is on is on the off side the same as us but where our moorings end it becomes council land.

He is tied to fence posts.

He is on a 3 month license as he don't move enough.

He does not have permission to leave a pile of wood 30 yards up from his spot and any other trash he don't want.

How do I know this information? because the moorings operator knows of him.

The conclusion today is that as soon as he moves another boat is going to find itself in his spot!

Ironically there is an official spot with rings just round the corner that's isolated where he could fill his boots and no one would know he's there!

From my perspective life throws these things at us for a reason so I am just going to be peaceful.

The land he is on is on the off side the same as us but where our moorings end it becomes council land.

He does not have permission to leave a pile of wood 30 yards up from his spot and any other trash he don't want.

The conclusion today is that as soon as he moves another boat is going to find itself in his spot!

Ironically there is an official spot with rings just round the corner that's isolated where he could fill his boots and no one would know he's there!

From my perspective life throws these things at us for a reason so I am just going to be peaceful.

If he doesn't have permission to leave a wood pile in 'his' spot, does that mean there are conditions for him to be there, as in, he is allowed?

Well, according to the Andy Wingfiield theory, if he's got a home mooring somewhere, and he's moored against land where the owner isn't bothered about him being there, there is absolutely nothing legal you or anyone else can do about it. I do remember a boater on the Shroppie whose behaviour pissed everyone off to such an extent that someone torched his boat one night, and though I obviously would never condone such behaviour, I can't say any of the rest of us were sorry. Nobody really minds well-behaved piss-takers, but the anti-social ones wreck it for all the others as well as for those trying to live within the rules.

ETO If he's on a 3 month licence he's already on CRTs radar, so you may well be rid of him in the fulness of time. Re woodpile/rubbish - report him to the Council for fly tipping.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

Thought I'd be helpful and highlight for you all the points you've made that are utterly irrelevant to your main point which is someone overstaying.

And the reason I'm helpfully pointing this out? Because it's astounding that without fail, a poster starting a thread grumbling about a CMer seems incapable of avoiding a complete character assassination under the guise of the problem being you "pay your way" and he doesn't.

I like to call it And-He-Smells-Off-Poo-Syndrome because other than hearing this sort of 360 degree slagging off from xenophobes, homophobes, racists and the like, I've only ever come across it in the playground as a kid.

Tell you what, why not start a thread that says "what can be done about running genny out of hours"? And then later on conveniently mention he's also staying on land without paying as far as you're aware? Because I know plenty of people who pay for their mooring and run their genny out of hours. Surely that would give a more balanced view to your argument(s)?

If he doesn't have permission to leave a wood pile in 'his' spot, does that mean there are conditions for him to be there, as in, he is allowed?

Correct me if I'm wrong would that not be a "mooring"

It's quite simple isn't it really if you want to avoid the rules just keep a low profile!

Thought I'd be helpful and highlight for you all the points you've made that are utterly irrelevant to your main point which is someone overstaying.

And the reason I'm helpfully pointing this out? Because it's astounding that without fail, a poster starting a thread grumbling about a CMer seems incapable of avoiding a complete character assassination under the guise of the problem being you "pay your way" and he doesn't.

I like to call it And-He-Smells-Off-Poo-Syndrome because other than hearing this sort of 360 degree slagging off from xenophobes, homophobes, racists and the like, I've only ever come across it in the playground as a kid.

Tell you what, why not start a thread that says "what can be done about running genny out of hours"? And then later on conveniently mention he's also staying on land without paying as far as you're aware? Because I know plenty of people who pay for their mooring and run their genny out of hours. Surely that would give a more balanced view to your argument(s)?

It's interesting you have highlighted the points that suit your own perspective while ignoring the others.
  • Greenie 1

Ok I'll accept that the out of hours generator is a valid complaint. Have you approached him to ask to turn it off after 8pm?

The other issues are not yours but CRTs if he's in breach of licence requirements and the landowners if he's mooring without permission.

What does he do for topping up with water?

Correct me if I'm wrong would that not be a "mooring"

It's quite simple isn't it really if you want to avoid the rules just keep a low profile!

It's interesting you have highlighted the points that suit your own perspective while ignoring the others.

Erm... yes. Of course. You're absolutely right. I was making a point and so have specifically highlighted the supportive evidence for that point.

I'm unlikely to have highlighted anything irrelevant to my point and then written "I've highlighted the parts that have no connection whatsoever with the point I'm about to make..."

The last boat sold from my moorings went for £2500. It is due to start sinking imminently and might be described as being in a 'woeful state'. It was bought by a guy who intended to travel in it to London and to continuously cruise there as a liveaboard. The boat made it about 3/4 of mile before it broke down.

If that's not a low cost to entry, please tell me what is?

Edited by Dave_P

Erm... yes. Of course. You're absolutely right. I was making a point and so have specifically highlighted the supportive evidence for that point.

I'm unlikely to have highlighted anything irrelevant to my point and then written "I've highlighted the parts that have no connection whatsoever with the point I'm about to make..."

I think you've actually missed the point. The OP's complaint has arisen not because the guy is overstaying, but because of the noise nuisance and general antisocial behaviour, and then abuse when approached about it. It's when someone like that settles down next to you for months it becomes a serious problem. No-one (apart from CRT) really cares much about friendly & considerate overstayers .