Replating

Featured Posts

Any idea how long it should take a yard to replate a 40 foot boat, bottom and sides? I'm having difficulty getting a time estimate from the yard doing mine - I know it's a bit more complicated than some as it's been replated once already and there are a few unexpected problems here and there, but a few comparisons from people's experience would be useful. Right now the bottoms plate's just being welded on.

I do stress I've got no complaints - boatyard time is different from clock time anyway, and they've had other jobs to do while the weather was good, I just want a vague idea so as to work out my future plans.

Since when has string been measured in hours?

I thought it was dependant on how much tea the workers were drinking.

Apparently all welders like beer so perhaps if you find the man doing the welding and try to give him a beer offer he can't refuse he may do it quicker ?

Since when has string been measured in hours?

I thought it was dependant on how much tea the workers were drinking.

Apparently all welders like beer so perhaps if you find the man doing the welding and try to give him a beer offer he can't refuse he may do it quicker ?

As long as the welder doesn't consume the beer during the welding process, it could effect the quality of the end result.

As long as the welder doesn't consume the beer during the welding process, it could effect the quality of the end result.

That's what happened the last time it was done, and why it's now got to be done again... ok, I get the idea. It's a piece of string. I presume no-one here has had it done, which is a bit of surprise... if they have, how long did it take from the start of the welding process?

I often pass Streethay and they often have boats sitting on trestles that are being replated, some are there for weeks and some for months with very little happening to them. hence the bit of string

Thanks - that ties in with what's happening with mine. Ah well, at least it'll float when it's done.

I was told a fortnight, then it became three weeks which became another 3 days on top because .....

* Crane was late for lift out.

* Wettest May for years stopped boats ahead from being painted in the open so shed was unavailable.

* Staff issue

* Crane was late to drop it back in to check free-board for cooling inlets

* Had to wait for another days slot back in the shed.

* Crane was late to drop it back in for me to collect.

It's not just the size of your boat that affects the timescale.

Welcome to the cut, it's how it works. If you really need tight schedules and fixed itineraries owning a canal boat in The UK might not have been a good move.

• 1 month later...

Had my 38 foot hull replated in 1 week. From the stern to about 2mts from the bow ,where the steelwork flares. Thats from keel to above water line. My hull has a 170 degree vee .

Perhaps i should state overplated rather than replated.

Edited by talisman