Kennet & Avon Canal: Bridge 62, West Mills Swingbrdge

Hols

Featured Posts

Apparently the West Mills swingbridge in Newbury has been closed until further notice.

Can anyone tell me if it's likely the problem will be fixed by Friday or who else can I ask to find out?

Many thanks

Holly x

It is being stated on the Kennet and Avon Boaters Facebook page that it will take at least 5 weeks!

But they like to wind people up on that site!

I hope the bridge will be repaired soon as i have just come out of Bristol Docks heading for Reading and freedom! boat.gif

Nipper

Oh dear!

" Engineers have been onsite, and further investigations of the bridge have shown that the hydraulic failure is significant, and an attempt to repair the bridge temporarily has failed. At this point, it’s likely that it will require extensive works before being able to reopen."

It looks like I'll be spending the first bit of the Winter Stoppages on the Kennet and Avon then!

I don't know where, cus all of the 24, 48 and 72 hour Moorings are taken up anyway, and you can't get into the side because it's either far too shallow or so much vegetation that you can't even see the tow path!

So, nowhere for a cruising boat to cruise and stop a night anywhere!

So much for the UK 's premier canal then!

Nipper

Oh dear!

" Engineers have been onsite, and further investigations of the bridge have shown that the hydraulic failure is significant, and an attempt to repair the bridge temporarily has failed. At this point, it’s likely that it will require extensive works before being able to reopen."

It looks like I'll be spending the first bit of the Winter Stoppages on the Kennet and Avon then!

I don't know where, cus all of the 24, 48 and 72 hour Moorings are taken up anyway, and you can't get into the side because it's either far too shallow or so much vegetation that you can't even see the tow path!

So, nowhere for a cruising boat to cruise and stop a night anywhere!

So much for the UK 's premier canal then!

Nipper

That's a little over dramatic. Winter moorings do not start until November so all of the visitor mooring will be subject to the usual rules. We travelled from Newbury to Bristol and back in August probably the busiest time of the year and had absolutely no problems mooring.

It is shallow in places and yes the vegetation needs urgent attention but you could easily take two gentle weeks to travel to Newbury and by then the bridge will be fixed one would hope.

Ken

That's a little over dramatic. Winter moorings do not start until November so all of the visitor mooring will be subject to the usual rules. We travelled from Newbury to Bristol and back in August probably the busiest time of the year and had absolutely no problems mooring.

It is shallow in places and yes the vegetation needs urgent attention but you could easily take two gentle weeks to travel to Newbury and by then the bridge will be fixed one would hope.

Ken

I wasn't aware I was being dramatic, I'm certainly not known for it, I was merely stating what I have found and experienced on my trip along the Kennet and Avon.

What i do know is that there is probably a difference between the vegetation in August than there is now, something, of coarse, that you yourself commented on in your September post.

Indeed there were probably a lot of boats about in August, more than there is now, but I would suggest that the vast majority of them were on their holidays and travelling, where as now there are probably fewer boats, but a great many of those are now almost static, and seem to have taken over the town and village moorings, especially where there are good communications, ie the trains!

The usual mooring rules are indeed in place, but they seem to mean little to those that want to turn a blind eye to them, and I see precious little signs that they are being addressed by CART either. This, of coarse, means that if there was a free 24hr mooring for a cruising boat to use of an evening, then that mooring is now not available!

Of coarse, as you state, the Winter Moorings don't start till November, but also starting are the Winter Stoppages and I want to be off this canal way before they start.

Anyway, I notice that CART have no updates issued today for the repair of this swing bridge!

Nipper

edited for bad speeling!

Edited by nipper

From a post on Kennet and Avon Facebook yesterday, Sorry, but i am not responsible for the spelling etc! -

" Well after a long wait ut would appear that nothing is going to happen reg fixing the bridge. Untill monday. Then a team will come from shelfield to try to fix broken ram. So no passing through newbury this weekend guys......."

Edited by nipper

Spoke to manager at abc boat hire at Aldermaston and the bridge needs to be lifted off with a crane which is proving tricky as there are houses that use the bridge so it could take weeks to sort out. He's got 4 hire boats stuck the wrong side of the bridge

Spoke to crt t-shirt man lunchtime , not an employee or volunteer , but was advising boaters about the arrival today of 2 water bowsers , he also spent most of the morning with a stand by the lock distributing crt leaflets and maps ect . He told us earlier that the bridge wouldn't be open for 2 weeks at least , but when we asked him again later if he had heard any more news he said that there should, be a crane here this Tuesday to lift/swing the bridge to release the trapped boats . I repeat should . There are 17 boats the Kintbury side of the swing bridge , heading towards Reading, including , 2 abc, 1 newbury hire, the trip boat from Newbury wharf and the rest are private boats , not sure about the 2 boats facing towards Kintbury , maybe having a little rest ?. There are 4 boats , above town lock, the other side of the swing bridge , so room for 3 or 4 more if it gets crowded opposite Greenham . I would not recommend mooring overnight in Victoria Park . Bunny

Hey nipper can you post a link to th k&a Facebook please, can't seem to find it

I would do if i knew how!

Just go into Facebook and a search for Kennet and Avon Boating society.

Cus thats how i found it!

Hope it helps!

Nipper

Just as an addition to whats already been said about the stoppage.

Apparently it was an owner who lives in one of the dwellings that stopped CART from working during the week saying that he owned the bridge and the police were called!

Other home owners have offerd there own moorings where they can and have been supportive of the boaters.

All taken from FB Kennet and Avon Boaters page, so don't shoot the messenger!

Nipper

Apparently it was an owner who lives in one of the dwellings that stopped CART from working during the week saying that he owned the bridge and the police were called!

Other home owners have offerd there own moorings where they can and have been supportive of the boaters.

All taken from FB Kennet and Avon Boaters page, so don't shoot the messenger!

Nipper

I suspect this is the same bloke who I saw physically assaulting a female boater last year because she was opening "his" bridge when he wanted to drive over it (the barriers were already down when he arrived). West Mills is a lovely spot, but several of the folk who live there are not!

.............Dave

I find it rather unlikely that an adjacent householder owns a swing bridge across the main line of the canal. Can anyone confirm this?

The bridge serves a very small number of properties and several of these are rented, so I suppose one of the local home owners, with a deviant personality, might like to think that its "his" bridge. Its getting a major overhaul this year (plus this repair) so a LOT of CaRT money (our money) used to provide this unpleasant man with vehicle access to his house.

(Its also a popular footpath but a much lighter bridge could meet that need.)

............Dave

Nipper

Now wouldn't it be funny if someone had some cart headed note paper and made a substsial bill up for repairs to the bridge and put it through the wannabe bridge owners letterbox.

Some more news about this swing bridge.

Apparently the crane CART bought in was too small and so the proposed lift on the bridge will now be put off!!

It's all happening here folks!

Nipper

Edited cus i got side tracked!

Edited by nipper

Larger crane expected Friday for 2 hours , don't know which 2 hours . Then bridge closed for a month . We were only off to Bath for a final jolly before we plug in and settle down for the winter and my husbands work goes ' stupid hours ' would be too late now , will turn tomorrow and head back to Aldermaston. Good luck , hope all end up where they want to be . Would make sense if they manned the lock, as there will be at least 20+ boats going down . Bunny .

Larger crane expected Friday for 2 hours , don't know which 2 hours . Then bridge closed for a month . We were only off to Bath for a final jolly before we plug in and settle down for the winter and my husbands work goes ' stupid hours ' would be too late now , will turn tomorrow and head back to Aldermaston. Good luck , hope all end up where they want to be . Would make sense if they manned the lock, as there will be at least 20+ boats going down . Bunny .

Just another update from the stoppages section of CART.

It would seem that I don't have to rush as fast as I thought i would, having just done the 33 locks from Seend today and just moored up at the Bridge Pub.

This update was issued at 17- 03 this evening!

Time for a beer me thinks!

Notice Details
From Date:
29th September 2015 at 09:30
To Date:
until further notice
Type:
Navigation Closure
Reason:
Structure failure
Notice updates:
06/10/2015 @ 17:03

Due to location of the the under ground services and temporary works required to facilitate the crane. A provisonal date advised by Kier for the lifting of the bridge is Monday 12th October.

Update on 07/10/2015:

Monday 12th October 2015 at 8 am Kier will set up crane, this will take approximately 3 hours, the bridge will be lifted off the canal and placed on the road.

The bridge will be off for a minimum of 2 hours we will ensure all the boats can pass that are waiting.

Kier will ensure that all craft looking to pass will be able to do so.

The estimated time for repairs is 1-2 weeks pending findings. CRT have instructed contractors to work continuously on the repair.

CRT staff and volunteers will be on site to assist craft through the bridge and lock 85 (Newbury town) during the period of the re-opening.

Might pop into Newbury and have a wave on Monday then . Back in at Frouds for a couple of weeks now . So will give you a wave Quordon No 3 when we go past . Are you on the moorings above Aldermaston lock or in the pound ? Bunny