Cratch glazing material?

AndrewIC

Featured Posts

My cratch board is glazed with some sort of transparent plastic, at least it was transparent when it was new about 15 years ago, now it's milky, scratched and tatty, and has cracked where I tried to seal it a few years ago. Which material does the team recommended for this purpose? Acrylic sheet? Polycarbonate? Something else?

Thanks

Andrew

Perspex works well and there's a place not far from you that sells it.

K

http://www.plasticproductsuk.co.uk/Cheshire/Warrington/perspex-sheets.php

Thanks, although that company is actually based in Yorkshire, their website has that increasingly common trick of inserting locations into the text and using NGNs to fool search engines (although most aren't quite as blatant as this one).

Lexon is better than Perspex.

And laminated glass is better than both of them.

I wouldn't consider using perspex or lexon laminated glass is the only way to go.

Any glass merchant should be able to cut it to size and shape while you wait.

I've used 6mm polycarbonate for pigeon boxes / dog boxes whatever you like to call them. Its safer in case someone falls and puts a hand out ... nasty. seems ok. I've also used it on vertical windows and it seems ok, still clear after 9 years and tough as old boots.

Laminated glass is the best answer, all of the plastics materials deteriorate in some way or other. Toughened glass has an order time since it needs to be cut to size and then heat treated. toughened also has the drawback that it shatters into small pieces if broken in use, laminated will normally break but stay in place in the frame.

Thanks, although that company is actually based in Yorkshire, their website has that increasingly common trick of inserting locations into the text and using NGNs to fool search engines (although most aren't quite as blatant as this one).

No indication of location, no email address, no indication whether they are selling small quantities to DIYers or large quantities to commercial users and only a non-geographic phone number to contact them. One company I won't be doing business with!

My cratch board is glazed with some sort of transparent plastic, at least it was transparent when it was new about 15 years ago, now it's milky, scratched and tatty, and has cracked where I tried to seal it a few years ago. Which material does the team recommended for this purpose? Acrylic sheet? Polycarbonate? Something else?

Thanks

Andrew

I used this from acorn canvas, they will deliver usually the next day, http://www.acorncanvas.com/PBSCCatalog.asp?CatID=1591501

I used this from acorn canvas, they will deliver usually the next day, http://www.acorncanvas.com/PBSCCatalog.asp?CatID=1591501

Glass. Laminated or toughened to prevent accidents. Perspex and similar materials have their uses and advantages in many applications, but guess what is likely to happen if you use it again here? wink.png

Well, yeah, but I figure I can live with a refurb every 15 years or so :)

Thanks, but you may misunderstand - that's window material for covers, I'm after something for the rigid window in the front...

Thanks all! Observations about laminated glass noted, I'll make some enquiries.

Andrew

Well, yeah, but I figure I can live with a refurb every 15 years or so :)

Well why bother asking for alternatives to your current stuff then (which has looked a bit rough for a long time from what you've said here, so 15 years is stretching the point)? ;) That's not meant to be a grumpy retort, just in case it reads like that - which it does a bit, but it's not meant to! :)

Well why bother asking for alternatives to your current stuff then (which has looked a bit rough for a long time from what you've said here, so 15 years is stretching the point)? ;) That's not meant to be a grumpy retort, just in case it reads like that - which it does a bit, but it's not meant to! :)

'Cos I don't actually know what it is! :)