Poll: An alternative to C&RT what woulld you prefer?

Laurence Hogg

An alternative to C&RT what is your preference?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. CRT change or not?

• Remain as it is but restructured
    • Allowed to go back to Government for them to decide
    • A return to BW
    • Taken over by the private sector
    • Given to EA to run
    • Remain as it is, no changes
    • Have a toll based system, pay as you boat.

Featured Posts

I agree. CRT's front line are great and we've not been let down yet. Maybe we should ask them what they think of their management and whwre the future lies...

Agreed, all the call responders at their Leeds call Centre have been very helpful as were the previous BW employees on the bank.

Whistle-blowers end up being sacked!

Alan

MtB, you may wish to reconsider your assessment in the light of day.This a typical misdirection employed by CRT.

Alan

I have considred it many times and it's my own opinion, not CRT's.

In what way is it wrong? The wear and tear of a boat on the system is not 'location dependent'. I.e. it does not reduce when the boat can cruise further. The opposite, if anything.

I'm not convinced there's a valid argument for a licence rebate due to being "disconnected" (using the definition of disconnected, as connected and navigable but by waterways other than CRT's).

There's a valid argument for isolated waterways attracting a licence rebate, eg parts of the Monty; and the Mon & Brec; and Scottish canals (and the Lancaster, before the Ribble link was built).

I would prefer that CRT was run like the national trust i.e. people become members then there is a sense of ownership.

I would totally agree it would allow people to become members and vote about the general direction the Trust would take. I have/do push this at CRT at every opportunity, sadly I think it would require too much change to the regulations behind CRT one of our more clued up legal minds will probably correct me.

I would prefer that CRT was run like the national trust i.e. people become members then there is a sense of ownership.

That would be a threat to their authority. They prefer Friends, at arms length. Membership would see an increase in revenue, but it is too risky for them. They want more money, but some things would be too distasteful.

I may agree with that!

e.g. I chose to moor on the K&A (because it is only 50 miles from my home) but I have to pay the full CRT licence fee even though the 90 miles of the K&A is disconnected from the rest of the CRT system by the Thames, Bristol Harbour and the Severn incurring additional fees. EA insist on me purchasing a two day licence from Reading to Oxford when I can easily transit in a day. Officially, I am restricted by Thames regulations to only two day permits per annum.

Alan

When you travel from Reading to Oxford you purchase a one day license. The license starts from twelve o'clock (midnight) on the day you purchase it, as you can't buy it at that time you actually get all of the time from when you purchase the license until midnight effectively free, then you have until midnight the next day to complete the journey. So one day license covers 24 hours plus the time from when you purchase it until midnight the same day.

As for a transit in one day, that would be one very long day.

Ken

I would vote for remain as it is, however it isn't giving that option. The formatting is a bit wrong.

I can see that option.

I would vote for remain as it is, however it isn't giving that option. The formatting is a bit wrong.

I can see that option. Unless list of choices have changed since I started reading.

After a few days of thinking about voting i decided to opt for 'No Change', maybe i am not qualified to vote some might say and i would agree to a point but their will always be issues and disagreament's from boater's/towpath user's against who ever is operating / maintaining the canal & river network.

As a new person to the Canal's i hope they dont end up having houses built on them or revert back to the sorry state they were a few dacade's ago.

Be carefull for what you wish for because it may end up a lot worse than it is now. (maybe)

After all no one can predict new legislation or the future cost of boating.

Edited by grumpy146

Please vote in the poll.

I can't vote. Not enough information.

On the face of it, I can't imagine any of the options listed being much different from what we have now. Whatever the name on the sign on the headquarters, it will be the same managers running the show.