Thames ring petrol

mickymismouth

Featured Posts

Hi all we are doing the Thames ring starting from Weybride on the Thames on Monday 31/08 heading downriver from tedddington to the GU then Oxford canal we have a petrol outbound so would like to know we're the petrol stations are next to the canals, ie on the Thames there's one at reading at telcos with no real walking involved. Hope there's a few at the canal side en route to make it easier all help welcome and cheers in advance

On the Oxford canal, there is a petrol station close to Banbury lock. Back on the Thames, there is one close to the moorings above Osney lock and one close to the river at Benson. I can't help you with the GU as I have not explored much beyond the towpath hedge.

Tescos at Bulls Bridge (Southall/Hayes), Rickmansworth. Garages in Uxbridge, Hemel Hempstead, Cowroast, Linslade. Must be something in Fenny Stratford. Tesco (I mean supermarket) in Wolverton. As noted above, garage in Weedon on the A5 (bit of a walk).

Then I think nothing until Banbury - check Fenny Compton Marina?.Garage at Fenny shut years ago I think. Hitch a lift along the main road to Southam (also accessible from Napton!).

Then nothing much until Kidlington (long walk from Yarnton Bridge). After mooring at the brickworks above Pigeon's lock in about 1974, I did walk up to Kirtlington with a petrol can -- but that garage may no longer be there.

A short 1.5 mile diversion up the Leicester Line gets you to Watford Gap services, not sure where you can wind though.

Tim

Just below Watford locks, though they may be short enough not to need one.

Also: a nice long walk from Lower Heyford west (and up!) to Hopcroft's Holt ..

Hi all we are doing the Thames ring starting from Weybride on the Thames on Monday 31/08 heading downriver from tedddington to the GU then Oxford canal we have a petrol outbound so would like to know we're the petrol stations are next to the canals, ie on the Thames there's one at reading at telcos with no real walking involved. Hope there's a few at the canal side en route to make it easier all help welcome and cheers in advance

. I don't know how big your boat is or how good your health is but I usually take my folding bike with me if I am going to waters new, just in case,have never had to use it but it's there if I,m stuck, hope you enjoy your trip, and welcome to the forum

I think the garage is still operating, but I don't think it sells fuel any more, judging by the amount of vehicles usually parked around the pumps and the lack of signage.

It was still selling petrol a few weeks ago

On the Oxford canal, there is a petrol station close to Banbury lock. Back on the Thames, there is one close to the moorings above Osney lock and one close to the river at Benson. I can't help you with the GU as I have not explored much beyond the towpath hedge.

Tesco at Banbury is easliy walkable from the towpath by Southam Road, north of the town.

Cheers for all the replies and help we have a trolley and petrol cans just trying to work out how much to take on the trip and were to refill once again cheers for the help if you see our boat "this way up " say hello

Be aware many garages limit severely the amount of petrol you can put into a can.....many have a 5 litre limit.

Once again cheers all for the help we normally fill two five litre cans and two ten litre cans between the two of us which seems ok to the petrol stations not got bikes so that's out the boats 32 foot so might try going up the Leicester arm a bit

Anyway off to start filling up petrol cans for the holiday, wish we had a Diesel engine