First Aid Equipment

brassedoff

Featured Posts

If your worried about limited phone signal may I suggest 3 or 4 cheap pay as you go telephones . We have 3 different lines and can get signal 99 % of the time. Also a forum member did post a link here the other day to a post code finder (our 3 mifi) works pretty well with that , you could make a note of the postcode on your map after you moor. A while ago in one of the mags featured a boat which had a flashing orange light on the roof that could be switched on in emergencies . Just a few ideas . Bunny

Thanks Bunny, Good advice

Their has been a few comments that i am overthinking and i know i do that, its not that am a panicker or a flump its just the way i think.

Be prepared an all that tosh....

a lesson I learned from several exercises run in remote jungle areas in Myanmar.

ONLY one person at the incident site must be totally responsible for communications.

most delays occurred because of conflicting/confusing information received by the emergency coordinator from different sources.

Aint that the truth theirs nothing worse than somone shouting at you when your on the phone to 999

logic falls

Edited by brassedoff

wrote a very long and rambling post, but thought better of it.....suffice to say.....the problems and disasters you never thought of are the ones that creep up and bite yer bum.......cheers.gif

Your not wrong their, how good would it be to save someone and bring them back from the other side.

Shit happens, life is cruel but awesome at the same time.

What you need is a bulk pack of rocket distress flares. People can see them from a long way away (as evidenced in the Titanic mishap).

funny you should say that i have an IR Military Strobe Light.

The Prepping Bug bit me.

No seriously though i think its best to plan rather than fail.

if you dial 999 or 112 you will be instantly tracked by the emergency services, it uses a method called triangulation and can pinpoint where you are.

Sorry, but not currently true in this country. If you phone on a land line they will know where that phone is, but on a mobile phone the triangulation does not occur automatically, but has to be requested from the mast operators, which can (and does) take some time. They are able to know which phone cell you are in, but that can be any size from a Hall at the NEC to several thousand hectares out in the country.

If you dial 999/112 on a mobile your phone will automatically "roam" onto the strongest signal there is. It does not have to be that of your usual service provider. Neither number provides a "better" service. Both work in exactly the same way.

Re the AED, I would suggest that you would be better doing a full First Aid course first. Although modern AED's are very simple to use and it is almost impossible to mis-use one they still need care, and are not always the answer.

Edited by Graham Davis

Triangulation needs permission

I was tracked down while unwell, it took hours according to my mum.

Even with a phone signal that does not save a life it needs hands on action instantly, an ambulance takes ages even in residential areas although they are bloody good.

much respect to them guys/girls.

Sorry, but not currently true in this country. If you phone on a land line they will know where that phone is, but on a mobile phone the triangulation does not occur automatically, but has to be requested from the mast operators, which can (and does) take some time. They are able to know which phone cell you are in, but that can be any size from a Hall at the NEC to several thousand hectares out in the country.

If you dial 999/112 on a mobile your phone will automatically "roam" onto the strongest signal there is. It does not have to be that of your usual service provider. Neither number provides a "better" service. Both work in exactly the same way.

Re the AED, I would suggest that you would be better doing a full First Aid course first. Although modern AED's are very simple to use and it is almost impossible to mis-use one they still need care, and are not always the answer.

thanks

Just to add 111 NHS Direct is a good number if anybody is worried about someones wellbeing and they will decide from the symptoms you describe if a person needs an Ambulance or Air lift to Hospital.

111 are excellent they dont take chances.

Edited by brassedoff

The other thing with triangulation is that it needs more than 2 masts. We have requested it a few times in local forests when searching for people who have used their phones, but it has been very inaccurate. The further away the mast is the greater the inaccuracy as the "beam" is shaped like a wedge and gets wider as it gets further away from the mast.

The quickest we have been able to arrange it was just over an hour, which is a looong time to do CPR!! (as I know!!)

• Greenie 1

Sorry I haven't read the thread - I stopped to reply after goodgurl's post.

YOU WILL NOT BE TRIANGULATED PRECISELY WHEN CALLING EMERGENCY SERVICES

All the emergency call taker receives is a circle of uncertainty, this will sometimes cover an area as small as a few miles, but NO BETTER.

The ECT has an Ordnance Survey map screen on which to locate you, so tell them which is the nearest town, then tell them you are on a narrowboat giving the name of the canal. Next give an approximate distance and direction from said town. (I'm on a boat, on the oxford canal, half a mile south of Banbury). If you are near a lock, tell them the name of the lock, and point out that locks are displayed on the map by a little arrow. If you're near a bridge, tell them, but be prepared to use other land features to help narrow it down, such as curves on the canal.

The ECTs (once given a fair amount of time on the job) are quite good at finding people who aren't sure where they are, so they will guide you with leading questions, but being well prepared will greatly shorten the amount of time this takes.

YOU CAN GIVE THE ECT COORDINATES FROM A GPS. They will take lat and long in any format, as well as Ordnance Survey Grid references.

Can't answer / correct any posts from second page without getting rid of what I've already typed.

The LifePak defib is a good shout. The NHS uses LifePak, and I've used one in anger a couple of times. Yes the pads can be pricy, but if you actually get around to using any you may find that the ambulance crew will give you a new pair. What's £50 vs someone's life? The lifepak also has replacement batteries, and the Defib will start shouting at you from the cupboard when it needs to be replaced.

Jim

Ex emergency call taker, ambulance dispatcher, 999 responder.

Good info Heff, and nicely explained, thanks.

Might be an idea to practice finding a Lat-Long on your phone so that you've got half a chance when the adrenalin is pumping - not the time to be reading "Welcome to your new smart phone...."!

Good info Heff, and nicely explained, thanks.

Might be an idea to practice finding a Lat-Long on your phone so that you've got half a chance when the adrenalin is pumping - not the time to be reading "Welcome to your new smart phone...."!

To be honest, if you've got a map or google maps open it's easiest to give it the old "right well you see where the canal leaves the town, keep going down, round the S bend, then theres a bridge, keep going and there's a sharp left turn, and we're just past there".

I've found people who've ended up drunk in a hedge in a field at 3am nowhere near a town before. It's all about the journey :)

I should probably say that I don't have a "first aid kit" anywhere, unless you count a load of antihistamine and paracetamol stashed in a drawer, and an OP airway in the glovebox. Cuts heal faster in the air anyway, and if it was bad enough to need stemming I'd use an article of clothing, the ambulance crew would only remove whatever I'd used to assess the injury anyway. The OPA I had left over when I gave my response kit back, and in the unlikely event I need to do CPR again I've got the training to use it - but it's not a necessity. I think first aid kits are more of a mental thing. Its nice to know you've got something there just in case.

Oh and I have a pair of tuff cuts for clothing removal.

• Greenie 1

Thanks Alan i have saved that SOS Transponder too from your other post.

i dont care if people think i am over worrying.

Its best to know.

I guess my 'Grab-Bag' is "over spec" but it comes from years of Sea Going (lumpy water boats)

It contains :

Mini GPS

Position Indicator Beacon (121.5 Mhz)

Red & Orange smoke flares

First Aid kit

Marine VHF hand held transceiver (yes I am licence holder)

Aircraft 720 channel VHF Transceiver (yes I am a licence holder)

Solar battery charger

Various coloured 'glow-sticks'

Torch

Spare batteries for Torch and Beacon

2 x half litre water

Chocolate bars.

3 days (minimum) medication / tablets

I don't feel so over prepared now we will be going back on the lumpy-stuff.

(O' and have a 4 man liferaft as well.)

I guess my 'Grab-Bag' is "over spec" but it comes from years of Sea Going (lumpy water boats)

It contains :

Mini GPS

Position Indicator Beacon (121.5 Mhz)

Red & Orange smoke flares

First Aid kit

Marine VHF hand held transceiver (yes I am licence holder)

Aircraft 720 channel VHF Transceiver (yes I am a licence holder)

Solar battery charger

Various coloured 'glow-sticks'

Torch

Spare batteries for Torch and Beacon

2 x half litre water

Chocolate bars.

3 days (minimum) medication / tablets

I don't feel so over prepared now we will be going back on the lumpy-stuff.

(O' and have a 4 man liferaft as well.)

Alan your boat had made me well jellious the other day.

from what ive read their is a lot of crap going on 'on' the canals and ive not even got my boots wet yet.

have fun alan, cant fault ya.

Just to reiterate what others have already said really, but the call takers are very good at pin pointing your location from questions they ask you but the more information you can give the better. Also if it's a life threatening emergency they can ask an ambulance to start heading in your general direction before they have your exact location.

When it comes to serious life threatening emergencies, the most important thing is to get help as soon as possible. Anything else is just buying some time. In the case of a stroke that was mentioned earlier, there's not even anything much the emergency services can do, time to get to hospital is the critical thing that determines outcome.

In the case of cardiac arrest then prompt CPR is important, along with access to a defib, but remember the paramedics carry a range of drugs that help with restarting the heart. I can't stress enough though the importance of prompt help and effective CPR. This is where first aid training is useful. And remember when doing CPR to continue it until you are told to stop by the emergency services or you are too exhausted to continue. We are trained not to be off the chest for more than a maximum of 10 secs at any time when doing CPR. This includes time to attach defib and administer shock, give breaths via bag and mask etc. Trust me when I say doing effective CPR for an hour is hard work even with 3 of you on scene!

Tom

• Greenie 1

............ Trust me when I say doing effective CPR for an hour is hard work even with 3 of you on scene!

Tom

And - often the patient ends up with broken ribs.

Alan, smiley_offtopic.gif You have an FRTOL ticket? Purely for this reason? Or do you fly?

Ex Gliding instructor, MGPPL, RAF Civilian Instructor, and PPL (lapsed)

Its interesting listening to the various 'commercials' coming out of East Midlands, Manchester etc.- of course you can also use the ground to air frequencies to talk to passing balloons and gliders.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Interesting thread. 1st, defib pads are not (or should not) cost more than about £15 to replace. Our ITU next door to theatres pays £12.68 for a set. 2nd, think about the incidents that are likely to occur ie cuts, sprains etc. Statistically, unless you have specific diagnosis re your health, cardiac arrest is fairly low down on the list and as someone said upthread, dealing with man overboard is rather more likely. 3rd, get a book on 1st aid or do a course, St Johns free handbook is well regarded, it will stand you in good stead and hopefully give you the skill and confidence to recognise, interpret and deal with what may come your way.

Just suggestions from an anaesthetic tech of 31 years. Having said all that, you are to be congratulated for trying to look and plan ahead; prior planning prevents piss-poor performance and all that!

• Greenie 1